The new law and what it means to you

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Loz
Blades UK

The new law and what it means to you

Post by Loz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:23 pm

At present it's just an intention and won't become law until april next year at the earliest.

Until then you cvan contiue to buy. What you own when the law comes in will be yours to keep permanently so if there's any sword you must have in your collection . . . buy now.

Here at Blades we will tell anyone who'll listen how ridiculous this ban and back that up with fact and evidence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7138735.stm

Loz
Blades UK

Re: The new law and what it means to you

Post by Loz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Loz wrote:At present it's just an intention and won't become law until april next year at the earliest.

Until then you cvan contiue to buy. What you own when the law comes in will be yours to keep permanently so if there's any sword you must have in your collection . . . buy now.

Here at Blades we will tell anyone who'll listen how ridiculous this ban is and back that up with fact and evidence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7138735.stm

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Here's the part from that reports regarding B-UK

Internet dealers

Lawrence Taylor runs one of the largest Internet dealers in the country. Blades-UK has dozens of swords and other weapons at cheaper prices.

Mr Taylor argues swords are often blamed for deaths caused by long knives: "I'm disgusted. A ban won't make any difference. More people are killed by guns and screwdrivers."

Tens of thousands of collectors and martial arts enthusiasts will be affected, and there will be confusion about what actually constitutes a sword."

Blades-UK has an age verification system, and Mr Taylor says he does not sell to anyone under the age of 18.

But if the government gets its way, replica swords will need to be put back in their scabbards permanently.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Here's Sky News video report on the story. With people like this woman leading the campaign its gonna be tough to urge the government not to ban our beloved swords.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/fulls ... 7_0900.flv

I do fully understand her felling on the matter though and my heart goes out for her loss, however as many people have pointed out in the past, if this deranged individual who killed her son didn't have access to a sword he would still have had access to items that are lethal in the wrong hands such as kitchen knives, work tools etc.

I would however be willing to accept a compromise regarding this proposed ban, and that would allow swords to still be sold by genuine responsible retailers to genuine collectors such as ourselves and I hope the Government agrees with my point of view.

roymunsen

Post by roymunsen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:55 pm

It's a disgrace. Handguns were banned for similar reasons 10 years ago and gun crime has never been higher. Will they ever learn.

The people who support the ban have no idea, first it's handguns then swords but what next? anything that incites violence could eventually be banned meaning that a trip to the flicks to see die hard 99 would be a thing of the past.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Is this all swords? Like, Ninja swords as well as Samurai :>

Does anyone have a link to the actual wording of this law?

skippydm

Post by skippydm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:38 pm

the actual wording is in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=15328&start=0

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:38 pm

Dan wrote:Is this all swords? Like, Ninja swords as well as Samurai :>
Well they're singling out samurai swords which covers kats, waks and tantos. You can pretty much gurette that if this goes through anything with a curved edge and oriental stylings will be classed as samurai too.

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 pm

With regards to the confusion over what will be exempt I've just found this rather upsetting bit of of news on the BBC
The Association of Chief Police Officers has backed the Home office move saying that while the weapon is relatively uncommon, there is justification for a ban.

While genuine collectors such as museums will still be able to trade in the weapons, it remains unclear what measures will be put in place to prevent people from buying cheap blades via the internet, already considered a major marketplace for the swords.
So the average collector is pretty much screwed then :cry:

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 pm

This is a bad day for all British Sword Collectors, Martial Artists, Prop Collectors, Re-enactors, Sword Smiths, Sikhs, Bikers, Fencers ect.

The thing that annoies me is 85% of people consulted were outright against this ban but the government still went through with it regardless, also even though theres been 80 reported attacks theres only been 5 deaths.

Now to me that isn't democracy its totalitarianism.

Mark my words "There is somthing very fishy about this ban!"

Hopefully it will come out before April!

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Sorry about the double post on a senstive issue but Lawrence i think you might want to look into this.

I think whats happening is the govenment wants to legislate ownership of curved bladed single edged weapons in the same way they did with Arisoft/Blank/De-Activated and Replica Guns.

Meaning you have to be a member of a Gun Club, Skirmish Range or Firearm Based Re-Enactment Group to still be able to legally buy Arisoft/Blank/De-Activated and Replica Guns from a dealer.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:58 pm

What are you basing that on dude? If that is true then I'd be up for it, but it would pretty much destroy casual sales though.

skippydm

Post by skippydm » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:06 pm

read moons post, it says about allowing people if they are part of groups, and it got a big yes, so i think if you are part of a special club you can get things :S

Kalith

Post by Kalith » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:31 pm

We need a special membership-ed blades-uk club >.>