The new law and what it means to you

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

lee_holland
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Post by lee_holland » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 am

I was just watching a Newsnight special about binge drinking and such on BBC 2. It's just a bunch of old blokes who know nothing about how the modern world really works. They're talking about raising the drinking age and banning advertising. It's the same type of thing with the swords and drugs. Banning things just doesn't work. People do what they want to do, the only thing that will remotely deter people is harsher sentencing. We're beginning to turn into America. I really think things like death penalties may work over here.

User avatar
Blackbird
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Dundonia
Contact:

Post by Blackbird » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:58 pm

If we start with that death penalty crap we realy will turn into the US :roll:
Last I heard there was no Scottish law baning any sort of sword and to be honest if any such law gets passed I'm headding fer the Cairngorms and they can come and find me. I dont remember oteing for anybody just so they could take my fredoms away from me.
Anyways as far as a martial arts "group" goes, BUK socity anyone :D

Mellony
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Bolton, Manchester, England
Contact:

Post by Mellony » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 pm

i was surprised to see in the 'findings' thing Moon posted neglected to mention the many thousands of people who took to the time to sign the petition....

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

RE:

Post by cybernex » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:05 am

lee_holland wrote:There was a CCTV clip on the BBC news of a few guys in hoods going in with a literal sword set. This little kid at the back had the Wakizashi while his bigger mate had the Katana. It was obvious he had no idea what he was holding because he was trying to poke the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper then grabbed a bat or something and chased them out.
I just saw that footage, and where was it filmed, none other than Manchester!

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Labor on this one guys & gals as it was a Conservative MP deciding that the government wasnt moving fast enough and introduced into the mix a private members bill to ban "Samurai Swords"!

I have a feeling that if there is a General Election in May David Cameron MP may offer to add a few extra exemptions to the bill (Maby for collectors of Movie Prop Katanas and Shinken) that is if you vote for him.

In laymans terms i have a hunch that this ban is a Conservative ploy to win votes in the next General Election! :evil:

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Re: RE:

Post by cybernex » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:12 am

Another Question, Has the Bill actully been passed yet because i keep getting reports that it hasn't even been draghted.

I also thought private members bill's have to be put in front of a govenment commitie before they are passed.
Last edited by cybernex on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lee_holland
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Post by lee_holland » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:09 am

Most parties are the same. If they really had a look at the country instead of looking at polls and going off what THEY think will work, things might actually get done properly.

Political debates are another matter though haha.


Since I was very young, one of the only things I've EVER wanted was a folded steel Katana. My dad got me into swords and Japanese fighting styles early because it was an interest of his too.

My plan was to start a collection off slowly and build it up over time, since I'm young and only just starting my collection a few years ago. I stopped martial arts a few years ago after I did my left leg in so getting back into that and obtaining some kind of license isn't really practical.

This ban will completely screw that up, so I'm gonna get some cash together sooner and just buy the Bushido Katana in a month or two.

Got a lot more sound engineering jobs coming in the new year so I should be alright doing it finance wise.

Mongolianfriend
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:14 am
Location: Hampshire

Post by Mongolianfriend » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:58 pm

friends and colleages who know me have been getting themselves in a flap because they saw the recent news on the ban and know I have a collection . I havent been following the developements for a while due to it being pretty impossible to tract down facts. I have read through these links today to find out any more only to find we are just as much in the dark and will have to wait until it happens. As it has been so badly thought out by the powers that be, I imagine the final bill will be full of flaws/grey areas/ contradictions. Hopefully ,these we can use to our advantage, but then again so will the chavs when their in court.
The only good thing about banning `cheap repro samurai` swords it that anyone who is not fully aware of the inferior and damn right dangerous construction methods of these` decoration only`items is less likely to injure themselves or others if they are tempted to swing it around and have the blade fly out of the handle.
At least if there was no ban ,chavs are more likely to only have their cheap repro blades which hopefuly would let them down on the day.
Where as with the ban and cheap repros off the market, the only blades around would be high quality ones and if chavs got their hands on those and used them, then the government would bann all swords. Perhaps this is their the long term adjender

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Post by Moon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Mongolianfriend wrote:friends and colleages who know me have been getting themselves in a flap because they saw the recent news on the ban and know I have a collection . I havent been following the developements for a while due to it being pretty impossible to tract down facts. I have read through these links today to find out any more only to find we are just as much in the dark and will have to wait until it happens. As it has been so badly thought out by the powers that be, I imagine the final bill will be full of flaws/grey areas/ contradictions. Hopefully ,these we can use to our advantage, but then again so will the chavs when their in court.
The only good thing about banning `cheap repro samurai` swords it that anyone who is not fully aware of the inferior and damn right dangerous construction methods of these` decoration only`items is less likely to injure themselves or others if they are tempted to swing it around and have the blade fly out of the handle.
At least if there was no ban ,chavs are more likely to only have their cheap repro blades which hopefuly would let them down on the day.
Where as with the ban and cheap repros off the market, the only blades around would be high quality ones and if chavs got their hands on those and used them, then the government would bann all swords. Perhaps this is their the long term adjender
Exactly. ;)
Nobody knows for sure how the Act will be worded and until it's published we're all shooting in the dark...only God knows why we should be though because the politicians certainly don't. :roll:

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Post by cybernex » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Moon wrote:
Mongolianfriend wrote:friends and colleages who know me have been getting themselves in a flap because they saw the recent news on the ban and know I have a collection . I havent been following the developements for a while due to it being pretty impossible to tract down facts. I have read through these links today to find out any more only to find we are just as much in the dark and will have to wait until it happens. As it has been so badly thought out by the powers that be, I imagine the final bill will be full of flaws/grey areas/ contradictions. Hopefully ,these we can use to our advantage, but then again so will the chavs when their in court.
The only good thing about banning `cheap repro samurai` swords it that anyone who is not fully aware of the inferior and damn right dangerous construction methods of these` decoration only`items is less likely to injure themselves or others if they are tempted to swing it around and have the blade fly out of the handle.
At least if there was no ban ,chavs are more likely to only have their cheap repro blades which hopefuly would let them down on the day.
Where as with the ban and cheap repros off the market, the only blades around would be high quality ones and if chavs got their hands on those and used them, then the government would bann all swords. Perhaps this is their the long term adjender
Exactly. ;)
Nobody knows for sure how the Act will be worded and until it's published we're all shooting in the dark...only God knows why we should be though because the politicians certainly don't. :roll:
I think you guys are right as i'm starting to see things in exactly the same way.

Kalith
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Post by Kalith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:43 pm

So, I know from here and just about every other site that you don't need a license to own a sword/have one in your home/buy one if you're over 18 etc.

The really annoying thing is, I can't find one stupid document online which says this. I've got stuff like the scottish offensive weaons order which shows what you're not allowed to be sold, but not that you're allowed to be sold anything else.

Any ideas where I can find one simple official document or something else that basically says:

YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE
YOU CAN HAVE A SWORD IN YOUR HOUSE

It's like they come up with 100-page long pdf files that tell us what we can't do and how long we're going to be locked up for doing it.
And absolutely nothing on what we ARE allowed to do :\

User avatar
Blackbird
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Dundonia
Contact:

Post by Blackbird » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Right now mate as long as yer the right age you DO NOT need a licence and YOU CAN have a sword n your house.

User avatar
Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin
Posts: 9986
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 pm
Location: The Best Midlands
Contact:

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:51 pm

Kalith wrote:It's like they come up with 100-page long pdf files that tell us what we can't do and how long we're going to be locked up for doing it.
And absolutely nothing on what we ARE allowed to do :\
Tha's cos they dont WANT you to know your rights :S

Kalith
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Post by Kalith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 pm

Yeah it seems like it Larnz :<

I'll see how it goes, it's not that I don't trust y'all or anything like that, I've just been getting as much official stuff printed off that I can whack my mum with if she gets all pissy when my GO arrives. Ordering tommorow :D

Just got my Maximus Gladiator helmet today btw, will gief pics of both when I can \o/

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Post by cybernex » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 pm

Kalith wrote:Yeah it seems like it Larnz :<

I'll see how it goes, it's not that I don't trust y'all or anything like that, I've just been getting as much official stuff printed off that I can whack my mum with if she gets all pissy when my GO arrives. Ordering tommorow :D

Just got my Maximus Gladiator helmet today btw, will gief pics of both when I can \o/
Its a good idea to do that.

I gave the guy next door a copy of all the offical documentation just in case his perentals start over his decent spanish stainless steel katana.

Kalith
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Post by Kalith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Have you still got a list of the things you gave him?
Would be handy to see if there's anything else I could get my hands on.
Don't worry if you haven't though, I should be okay.

Post Reply