Military Grade Kukri

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

kiri

Re: Military Grade Kukri

Postby kiri » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:24 am

To perhaps shed light on the provenance of any Army Issue Kukri. The British Army has sourced nearly all its kit (not just Kukris) from a variety of different contactors which tend to change year to year. For example there are several well known Sheffield manufacturers who had the contract to produce FS Commando daggers in their various patterns at various times in history. A knowledgeable knife collector will know all the details of pattern, date and manufacturer. Even so, you have to be careful as there are certain unscrupulous manufacturers who have copied historical FS knives and dont say they are not original. You also get all sorts of fake tat sold on ebay as originals, which blatently are not.
With Kukris it's even more difficult. Not only have you got a number of different manufacturers who have quite legitimately had the contract at one time or another to supply the British Army (many different patterns) . You also get a whole range of Kukris made in India for the Indian Gurkhas and many made in Nepal for ceremonial use, tourist curios or as genuine tools for the locals. JGS for example makes a Kukri which is presumably in line with the quality of their other stuff. To my knowledge they have never had a contract to supply the British Army (which doesnt necessarily mean they arn't any good)
I wouldn't get too excited about whether a Kukri is "military grade" or "military issue" as the current issue Kukris would cost a soldier £15-£20 and as I said are not that great. If you get in to Kukris you can get excited about which village they came from, which Kami made the Kukri etc...
Its in many ways very like Japanese swords. Smiths will shape the blades differently, forge them differently and some will leave their mark on the blade. A kukri made by a decent Kami is differentially tempered in a similar though not identical way to a Katana (not folded though) and is quite capable of cutting through a nine inch nail with no damage whatsoever to the blade.
Cold Steel make a Kukri and having played with one I wasnt that impressed. Its sharp Carbon Steel... but the blade profile is all wrong. No disrespect to Lynn Thompson as I like a lot of CS stuff or to Dr Gyi who founded the American Bando association (Which used to endorse CS Kukris) but genuine Kukris have a wider blade prfile and when you are chopping down a tree big chips fly off like you are using an axe. With the CS Kukri it tends to stick in the tree because the stock is too thin and the blade angle wrong.
So many dreams like moths around a luminous mind to flutter for an instant before perishing on the unbearable brightness.........

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Moon wrote:
Cool McSerious wrote: It was just Moon's cynical attitude planting a little seed of doubt in my mind.

Unbelievable. :|

Of course...it was all down to me,I made you write it. :roll:

I wasn't blaming you. You were just sharing your views and it had a negative effect on me, that's hardly your fault. Can't make one post without offending someone these days :|

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 am

Cool McSerious wrote: I wasn't blaming you. You were just sharing your views and it had a negative effect on me, that's hardly your fault.

I know. :|

Cool McSerious wrote: Can't make one post without offending someone these days :|

You can if you really try hard enough but then there'd be no point in posting at all and forums would die...that's one of the reasons why you love to hate me,ain't it? :D

Back on topic...

kiri wrote:To perhaps shed light on the provenance of any Army Issue Kukri........etc

Good,informative post for anyone unfamiliar with MoD issue,antique,genuine traditional Khukri including those made from old 'Land Rover' leaf springs and some of the shyte sold via unscrupulous sellers on fbay. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

shannydez

Postby shannydez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 am

i just got my military grade kukri which i inherited from my late father it was nice and very antique since it was just from WW-II.
i usually use this for cutting wood, definitely it really works good. :CHAIN

Last edited by shannydez on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

shannydez wrote:i just got my military grade kukri which i inherited from my late father it was nice and very antique since it was just from WW-II.
i usually use this for cutting wood, definitely it really works good. :CHAIN

Welcome to B-UK and even though this thread died a miserable death 4 years ago, some pics would be good to take a gander at. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

shannydez

Postby shannydez » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for the Welcome and Yup I know it was already 4 years ago but I'm interested ;)

Return to “Latest News”