All curved Swords to be banned

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Loz
Blades UK

All curved Swords to be banned

Post by Loz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm

We've recieved a copy of the completed legislation today, comes into force on 6th April but doesn't mention samurai swords, instead, It says 'a curved sword, where the blade length is over 50cm when measured in a straight line from the top of the handle to the top of the blade, this will cover all samurai swords, cavalry sabers etc. I can barely understand the legal talk on exemptions but it mentions nothing about exemptions for collectors. It does mention excemptions for those requiring swords for 'sporting activities for which such a weapon is required'.

So it pretty much wipes out companies selling these under any circumstances.

darkness2

Re: All curved Swords to be banned

Post by darkness2 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 pm

so if you do a 'sporting activity for which such a weapon is required' where are you exspected to buy one then ?

malvern man

Post by malvern man » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 pm

So, will straight blade swords, including tantos will be exempt then?

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Well that should allow the 'antis' to sleep better at night because we all know that you can't kill or inflict serious injury on someone with a sword that has a straight blade or anything with a curved blade which is less than 50cm overall. :roll:

What a load of bullocks. :|

the_haggis

Post by the_haggis » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Is the document too big to post on here? Or is there a link to the full text? I want to know the implications for our iai club...

CS

Post by CS » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Loz

Nothing really clever to say other than sorry to hear what is bad news for all of us and I guess particularly for you in the trade...seems the bastards have left it to the last min to make the ban even more sweeping and ridiculus.

C

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:35 pm

So it's saying most Wakizashis and all Tantos will still be legal due to them being under 50cm (19 3/4" to us imerialists) when the ban kicks in?

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:44 pm

cybernex wrote:So it's saying most Wakizashis and all Tantos will still be legal due to them being under 50cm (19 3/4" to us imerialists) when the ban kicks in?
seems so, although some wakazahsi will be cutting it fine, when they say the 'top of the handle' i'm presuming the Tsuba in ther case of Waks, in this instance the Bushido would be cutting it very fine at 49.4ish cm.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 pm

So retailers have gotta start measuring blades straight now as Chen normally measures the curvature of the katana's blade from the top of the Habakki to the blade tip and somtimes not very accuratly.

Cool McSerious

Post by Cool McSerious » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:10 pm

It's better for us that it's measured in a straight line as that's obviously shorter than if they followed the curvature of the blade. I wouldn't be surprised to see companies knock a couple cm off wak blades in order to get them into the British market. To be honest I'm almost relieved, assuming the wording stays the same then many waks will still be available strictly speaking.

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Cool McSerious wrote:It's better for us that it's measured in a straight line as that's obviously shorter than if they followed the curvature of the blade. I wouldn't be surprised to see companies knock a couple cm off wak blades in order to get them into the British market. To be honest I'm almost relieved, assuming the wording stays the same then many waks will still be available strictly speaking.
Don't jump the gun dude...you ain't seen no actual wording on how the blade will be measured or if it will include the tsuka or sori and until you do it's best for you,me and everyone else to stop posting assumptions on what is or isn't banned or who,if anyone,will be exempt,which may lead people to believe something that isn't true.
Wait and see what's written officially in black and white instead of noting rumours and what 'Joe Bloggs' *thinks*.

Cool McSerious

Post by Cool McSerious » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09 am

Yeh you're right... But if we all close our eyes real tight and wish real hard... It might work... :cry:

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:44 am

Well here we go guys, the PDF in all its glory (sorry you'll have to download it manually as I cant find an online version)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E8KSE2VC

There's no point in doing the usual Government bashing as its all been said before. We knew it was coming, it all knew it was inevitable and now we just gotta live with it like every other sword collector out there.

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:05 am

Direct Link to the PDF (avoid waiting on MegaUpload etc.

Download Link - Right Click, Save Target As...
Last edited by Mellony on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah, your right Moon, let them savour there little victory as the way there going they won't be in power for much longer or have an englisman left to dictate to.

*EDIT*

You've gotta see the funny side of it now though, Only samurai may buy full leangh katana after 6th April (Dosn't that just remind you a bit of ancient Japan?) :D