All curved Swords to be banned

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Hatamoto

Re: All curved Swords to be banned

Post by Hatamoto » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:57 pm

What confuses me is the mention of "sporting activity which may require such a weapon." I guess they might be thinking of iaido, or something, but other than that I have no idea what sports they could mean.

It's funny, though. As you said Larn, I knew this was coming. But to have a date now, and especially more restrictions (I was hoping to get one or two more swords), I feel ill like it's the first time I've heard about it. It's really happening. Before the date was solid, I was hoping as I'm sure we all were that something would delay it, maybe indefinitely, or cancel it completely.

I dunno much how politics work (I keep my sanity a bit longer for that), but once these idiots fall out of power, would it be possible for a future PM or whatever who sees the futility of it to make them legal again?

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Hatamoto wrote:I dunno much how politics work (I keep my sanity a bit longer for that), but once these idiots fall out of power, would it be possible for a future PM or whatever who sees the futility of it to make them legal again?
They could if they wanted to but no Government is ever gonna elected on having swords made available in their manifesto. Any elected Government has plenty of other things to worry about over such a ban, such as taxes, the NHS, education, prisons etc etc. Sorry young padawan, its time to find a new hobby :cry:

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm going back onto model & prop making, but i'll still be doing the odd bit of koshirae on the side ;)

malvern man

Post by malvern man » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Looks like I'll be collecting Waks and Tantos after April then, safe in the knowledge that they're considered not long enough to injure anyone.

Cheers, Chris.

darkness2

Post by darkness2 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 am

malvern man wrote:Looks like I'll be collecting Waks and Tantos after April then, safe in the knowledge that they're considered not long enough to injure anyone.

Cheers, Chris.
chris

waks will bw gone as well !!!
50 cm is 19.7 inches
some waks are 20 inches and some are 18.5 -18.75
but the way that they are mesuring i.e right up to the tsuba , gives them
the extra they need to ban em

kirisute

Post by kirisute » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am

the interesting bit here for me is the "public liability" statements.
i know for the past few years the re-enactment world has been hit hard with insurance costs and rulings...twin barriers and public locations at least 5 metres away from the fighting area etc etc.....
but does martial art insurance contain public liability? i m kind of thinking it doesnt. upon joining a club you usually gain the insurance along with your liscence...but from the way i understand it that only covers those you spar and train with...not really a public liability insurance.
again the phrasology of the document shows us truly how limited in understanding our government is..."sport" im guessing is being used to "blanket cover" everything from martial arts to fencing.....i know of no oriental re-enactment groups in the UK...but certainly there are a few using calvalry sabre...do practitioners of re-enactment and for instance Iai-jutsu consider their skills a sport?
and what of those who wish to train without joining a dojo....will suitably purchased public liability cover that?

seems to me the law will be open to interpretation by the Police officer at the scene...much like the case with airguns and shotguns...you can be lucky and have a chat with a guy who knows his stuff and knows he is talking with a person with a good reason for having/carrying the equipment they are...or not....
and lets face it...for those of us that do travel to learn or to practice we owe it to ourselves to be sure the equipment is properly protected and transported.

april 6th...damn...means i cant even collect cash on my birthday and buy a new sword!

Ricko97

Post by Ricko97 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:58 am

I am interested to know what will happen to B-UK. Will it continue to sell stands, maintenance kits, and the more medieval kind of blades? Or will it just fade out of existence? :cry:

Pip68

Post by Pip68 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:07 am

Hi all :D , am new on here and without swearing am really angry, I don't do much in this life I collect helmets,axes,swords, now with my collect of swords & axes I don't act in any foolish manner I respect them and under stand the damage they could do.
And because I love my history it gets me just that little bit close to the past if you no what I mean, I've even started making mail armour, now to me no sword collection is complete without the Katana, even though I don't think it's as good as say my viking sword, but that does not mean I don't respect it's meaning in Japanese history, so I will be buying one.
sorry to rant on my first post everyone

kirisute

Post by kirisute » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 am

Ricko97 wrote:I am interested to know what will happen to B-UK. Will it continue to sell stands, maintenance kits, and the more medieval kind of blades? Or will it just fade out of existence? :cry:
from what i know then BUK will be selling medieval swords etc alot more after the ban......
Pip68 wrote:Hi all :D , am new on here and without swearing am really angry, I don't do much in this life I collect helmets,axes,swords, now with my collect of swords & axes I don't act in any foolish manner I respect them and under stand the damage they could do.
And because I love my history it gets me just that little bit close to the past if you no what I mean, I've even started making mail armour, now to me no sword collection is complete without the Katana, even though I don't think it's as good as say my viking sword, but that does not mean I don't respect it's meaning in Japanese history, so I will be buying one.
sorry to rant on my first post everyone
nice to see you...and it sounds like your the type of person this ban will be effecting more than those it "should" be aimed it!
its the same old story time and again....the respectful and knowledgable many..get butt shafted by our government because of the ignorant few

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Just came across this...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... html#j0001

Make of it what you will. :S

Kalith

Post by Kalith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Wow...what an amazing description of what a "Samurai Sword" is.
Which retard writes all this crap -.-

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 pm

For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a blade of 30cm or more which is curved to any degree, having one sharpened edge capable of inflicting a cut of any description on a person and having a hilt or a handle.
Ermmmmm nazi-1

RedSpecial

Post by RedSpecial » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Larnz wrote:
For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a blade of 30cm or more which is curved to any degree, having one sharpened edge capable of inflicting a cut of any description on a person and having a hilt or a handle.
ok so are they going to ban kitchen knifes too then?

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Probably

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Look at the bottom of the article. ;)
© Parliamentary copyright 2006
and
Revised 19 October 2006