New Consultation to ban all swords

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

quench

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by quench » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 pm

shutup and have a stout. i've found a dojo, i'm visiting it, it's 10 minutes walk away. I'm towing the line and not violating your ettiquette. what more do you want, the world? :S

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:10 pm

No just for you to keep a civil tone in your posts will be fine.

darkness2

Post by darkness2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm

mmmmmm he has only posted 27 times and getting cockey with moon ....

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 pm

quench wrote:shutup and have a stout. i've found a dojo, i'm visiting it, it's 10 minutes walk away. I'm towing the line and not violating your ettiquette. what more do you want, the world? :S
'The World Is Not Enough' but if you start posting sensibly and lay off the crap...I suppose it'll have to do.
BTW is this dojo or your home a houseboat on the Thames or a caravan...several posts ago it was 25 minutes away and yet today it's only 10. :S

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Maybe he caught the bus Moon :roll:

Iron Donkey

Post by Iron Donkey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 am

Or maybe he's just one of those people that thinks reading a book makes him an Iaido expert and 'sword master.'

I think what people want Quench is for you to not populate the board with posts full of total fiction whenever you feel like posting.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 am

Iron Donkey wrote:Or maybe he's just one of those people that thinks reading a book makes him an Iaido expert and 'sword master.'

I think what people want Quench is for you to not populate the board with posts full of total fiction whenever you feel like posting.
Now thats what i call deluded Iron Donkey, It's about as deluded as using a Shirasaya with a fake hammon for Tameshagiri IMHO :mrgreen:

I think one of the big problems with this Ban is that it has dragged so many deluded numpys out of the wood work :evil:

Iron Donkey

Post by Iron Donkey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 am

Indeed. The simple fact is, as a beginner in Iaido the sword ban isn't going to affect you unless you are a complete 'numpy' (great word by the way) and decide to get a shinken after about 2 weeks because it makes you feel more like a Samurai.

The fact is, a Bokken is fine for the first couple of months, and then an Iaito...really........it should be years before a shinken is picked up. Iaido is after all a life time persuit. I'm figuring once Qunech realises he's not going to be Tom Cruise by next week he'll promptly give up.

I have no idea where these people are coming from....... :GG

Sadly it's not just this forum....every forum, suddenly everyone wants to do Iaido....conveniently timed with the introduction of a sword ban......

skippydm

Post by skippydm » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:44 am

At least its not as bad as the guy who was saying his SS sword cut through a 4inch wood post :>

Come on we have heard a lot of rubbish over the last year or 2 ;)

Very true IronDonkey, Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to try and get a sword, its good for Iaido as its going to bring them loads of money as all these people will join and then give up, hopefully with out there swords ;)

Bokken are perfect for practice IMHO, and are just as dangerous as a real sword except your less likely to cut your self.

loggin

Post by loggin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am

I have to admit I'm kinda of a bandwagony, I've always wanted to do Iaido, my father introduced me to it when I was 16 and then a little later on when I was doing aikido my sensei also used to teach Iaido so once again my apetite was wetted, but I was an unemployed student and couldn't afford to get the sword required at the time to do it, then Martial Arts centre closed down in my town and Iaido locally was once no more, the club which I'm now joining is over 20 miles away in another town, but funnily enough it is a club that was founded by my former Aikido instructor.

However I probably wouldn't be starting Iaido now if it wasn't for the ban as I do believe rather than becoming a more popular martial art it will slowly die as the bar to learning is just being raised

Oh by the why for those that asked the style is ARAKI MUNINSAI RYU IAI DO, they also teach Kenbu and Shibu as well
Last edited by loggin on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iron Donkey

Post by Iron Donkey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:18 am

Loggin, the bar to learning it is not being raised, it's in fact exactly the same as it always was........There is -no- difference. You can start Iaido with a bokken and some loose fitting clothing. You can still buy an Iaito from anywhere in the world, and you can still buy a live sword from anywhere in the world....at the same price. The reality is, no one starts Iaido with a live blade in the modern world.

Indeed for general practice most people don't use them that often and that includes senior teachers that come over from Japan for Seminars. They routinely come along with an Iaito and then sell them off to the attendees of the seminars afterwards. Using a live blade doesn't make the art more ethnic....or more authentic, because Iaido doesn't mean the way of the sword, it basically means the way of being prepared.

It's far from a dying martial art. The UK team routinely does extremely well at international competitions and there are well over 3 times the number of practitioners of Iaido that are registered with the BKA than there were at the beginning of 2006. There are also a huge number of seminars being run with record attendance.

I mean really..........It's like facts are meaningless to some of you people....so you just voice completely unfounded opinion as a fact and hope it flies....I find that insulting to the boards collective intelligence.

Everyone I know that does Iaido, that uses a shinken uses a Japanese blade in any event. You'll never see someone rocking a Paul Chen, because simply the weight is wrong. The shinken used for Iaido are specially designed and light. The only Hanwei I've seen someone use was that Mejin folded steel thing that they produced, which is actually pretty good for the price, and that's so exempt from the ban for martial arts use it's not even funny.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 am

Another thing is alot of Iaido & Kenjitsu clubs are comming out of the woodwork now because of this ban probably to try and get more members and thus make more money.
Last edited by cybernex on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moon

Post by Moon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

I can't understand why some people just refuse to come out and admit that they want a katana just because they're casual collectors...many of us do but there's always some twonk who makes out that they know all about Iaido/Iai-jutsu/Batto-jutsu or whatever name a particular ryu wishes it's art to be known as and don't know FA. except from what they've read and make themselves appear as complete a$$holes when they post on a forum where people do know what they're talking about.
Bullsh*tters in all walks of life inevitably trip themselves up by using the wrong terminology or making claims that can be refuted by those who have knowledge and experience and then get aggressive when they're exposed for what they really are.

Edited: to say that this post is not directed at any one individual member.

loggin

Post by loggin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 am

I can only speak from personal experience and yes it is my opinion that over time such forms will be pushed out of society if things carry on the way they are.

On a local level for me there used to much more variety in martial arts, but it all seems to be squeezed out in favour of the bland 'sport' versions rather than the traditional teachings. For Iaido as far as I know except for the 2 clubs that are in about 20-30 mile radius of me then next one's are about 50 ( and I'm only about 70 miles from london ), where as I knew of 3 clubs in my home town about ten years ago, so...., or maybe we just had a glut of them

As for BKA numbers growing, this is again speculation, but given the fact that the club I belong too isn't part of the BKA, maybe in light of the ban more clubs are towing the line and signing up to the BKA, I dunno, and yes I have heard from my friends in the BKA that they've received notification that they won't be affected by the ban, but those outside currently are being left clueless and guessing what is going on

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I admit i used to be a casual collector untill just over 3 1/2 years ago when i started heavily getting into Koshirae, Now i want to take it to the next level and start IAI as i've found 2 clubs within a ten mile radious from where i live, But with this ban almost apon us i'm thinking of leaving it a few months so these clubs can scave off the Last Samurai wannabe, casual collecting numpties before i join up.