New Consultation to ban all swords

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

simonatack
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: WEST YORKSHIRE

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by simonatack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks mate. I guess I was being a bit touchy in the light of what is about to fall in a day from now. I just don't want to see anyone banned or restricted any further than the ludicrous measures already set in motion.

User avatar
Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin
Posts: 9986
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 pm
Location: The Best Midlands
Contact:

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by Big Lazy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Righto, now everyones bummed each other and made up lets get on with our usual programming :mrgreen:

Iron Donkey
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by Iron Donkey » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Simon, no one took offense. It's nice to find someone so passionate about blades, sword arts and swords in general, and also someone that's willing to actually get out there and lobby.

I love swords, and I love martial arts. My issue is with people that are misrepresenting themselves.

If a love of collecting swords gets someone into a martial art, that's always great for the martial art and for swords collection in general. I have the utmost respect for the To-Ken society, sword smiths, and collectors who in the long run will become the sword experts of the future. Swords are the tool of the martial artists trade so to speak, and without experts on them, where does a martial artist go to get advice on which blade to buy? The two disciplines are inexerably linked in every regard.

The only thing I take objection to is people trying to act like they are more than a casual collector when they are not. There is nothing wrong with being a casual collector, so why would anyone try to pretend to be a martial artist to justify owning a sword, when in fact no justification other than a love of swords is required.

User avatar
the blade master
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: here there and everywhere

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by the blade master » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm

simon its nice to know there are folks such as your self who are prepared to stand up for what
they realy belive in thanksfor being so open and showing us your views mick

simonatack
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: WEST YORKSHIRE

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by simonatack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Thank you for your kind understanding gentlemen. I fully appreciate Iron Donkey's sentiments regarding novices coming on like masters. I wouldn't have a hope of trying to bluff my way in an expert environment-especially where razor sharp swordsteel is concerned. I see the same sort at my rifle-club where I train. Theres always one new guy who'd swear he can hit a pin-head at a mile off; until you can tell, before he's fired a single shot, just from the way he holds his rifle to the shoulder, that a long day on the 25-metre novice range is coming...or its goodbye! I don't hold with club snobbery, or elitism, but SAFETY is everything! You guys who are dedicated to sword arts and the discipline it takes to master it in practice, will doubtlessly encounter every wannabe samurai and weekend Ninja along your way. Thats how some who lack confidence, overcome it, with bullmuck! I think if you at least try and show your skill-levels in a helpful, informative way to this type, he soon gets the message as to where he really fits in the scheme of things, or he leaves and tries his bluff elsewhere. At least you can rest easy knowing you honoured your sword, by demonstrating well, you honoured yourselves with patience and you honoured your code with a welcoming conduct. No one can hold you liable for the absent fool who fails to grasp what you brought to him freely and without predjudices. As for you Mick (Blademaster) having seen your amazing collection on this forum, I wonder what a guy like you will do for your collection's future? I think its a crime in itself, if your collection had to just cease from being expanded further.

kirisute

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by kirisute » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

its the same in all walks of life...you will find people who know and are humble and people who think they know and are arrogant...usually its the humble ones that truly know....either because they have the knowledge..or because they are willing to listen to those that have the knowledge and thereby learn.
ive seen re-enactment folks who train weekly with their weaponary...mastering their own skills and techniques..who have been talked down to by "members" of society simply because they have not joined or belonged to a society.....equally i have seen fully paid up members who handle their swords once a year and enter the field thinking they can be Conan!
ive seen tae kwon do classes where the black belts will beat on the newest members..supposedly building them up....and ive seen black belts with black eyes and bloody noses because the newest club member cannot control a kick or did something un-expected...and still they smile and laugh and help the student to learn.
how we, be it collectors or martial artists, are percieved is all we have in this country. and sadly we are percieved by our lowest common demoninator...usually the morons who harm people or act stupidly. simply because thats what makes the headlines and thats what people think they know. the same with shooting...
i know i have said things here that have been frowned upon for whatever reason..Moon and others, have, im sure, probably thought me one of those people that THINKS they know....maybe i am..maybe im not...all i have is my words on this forum......and in the end all any of us have that are effected by this and following bans will be our words and our honour.
nobody needs anyone elses opinion on this forum as to what they do about these bans...write to your mp, boycott the governement..refuse to vote..whatever....those are your rights....be proud of them....and be proud of how you stand up in this life.
in the end...pride and honour will be all we have left

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by Moon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:42 am

kirisute wrote:i know i have said things here that have been frowned upon for whatever reason..Moon and others, have, im sure, probably thought me one of those people that THINKS they know............
Qui moi?...au contraire mon ami as they say in Spain. :S
I'm well aware that I'm probably the most controversial and unpopular person who still posts on this forum and that's mainly due to the fact that I 'call a spade a spade' regardless of what or who I disagree with or disapprove of,whether it be a new member or someone of long standing and I've never made any pretence to the contrary since the day I reg'd...so I can understand why I'm the only member you've cited. :|

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by cybernex » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:46 am

Well i'm still a card carrying member of the Moon fan club :D

W/O your help Moon i wouldn't know half the stuff i know now or at least where to look for the information or resorses.
Last edited by cybernex on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

kirisute

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by kirisute » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 am

Moon wrote:
kirisute wrote:i know i have said things here that have been frowned upon for whatever reason..Moon and others, have, im sure, probably thought me one of those people that THINKS they know............
Qui moi?...au contraire mon ami as they say in Spain. :S
I'm well aware that I'm probably the most controversial and unpopular person who still posts on this forum and that's mainly due to the fact that I 'call a spade a spade' regardless of what or who I disagree with or disapprove of,whether it be a new member or someone of long standing and I've never made any pretence to the contrary since the day I reg'd...so I can understand why I'm the only member you've cited. :|
not at all...i respect your knowledge and how you phrase things and speak your mind...the statement wasnt an negative comment.,..it was simply a supposition...an assumation.
from what i read of your words on here you are one of the most knowledgable members......and i used you purely because you ARE one of the most respected people on here, and if im going to make an exemplar to show that we dont all see eye to eye then its best to draw on my own experience and one of the figureheads of the community...:)
its not meant as an insult..just an exemplar.....

simon was worrying too much he had trodden on peoples toes or offended...i simply offered the view that..."hey..we have all had encounters in the past where we dont see eye to eye...but we still talk"

and ill happily carry a Moon fan club card....ill use it as a bookmark in my copy of the hagakure! LOL

*sidetrack warning* did anyone see THE SHOGUN on bbc2 the other night? very nice stuff...if you didnt think you might still catch it on the bbcplayer software.

User avatar
darkness2
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:50 am
Contact:

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by darkness2 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:27 pm

i agree with everyone's comments moon...
i have learned a hell of a lot from your posts AND i got my best blade from you .....

simonatack
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: WEST YORKSHIRE

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by simonatack » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:45 pm

I know moon can seem like a cantankerous old giffer in the terseness of some of his posts and responses, but I don't think they should be taken beyond anything other than from a fellow who, in his passions and cares for his particular area of sword-interest, doesn't want to see a particular question or answer leading erroneously up the garden path. He does command a remarkable level of knowledge in his answers to questions and he is never mean with what he knows. I would'nt know shinken from shrinkwrap, or the difference between Iato from Nihonto as far as Japanese swords go. But I do know a bit about rapiers and duelling swords,and Napoleonic cavalry/infantry weaponry. Thats the great thing I like about this forum, over any other I've seen. There is a phenominal amount of collective knowledge among all of us here, capable of answering all but the most obscurest of questions on every aspect of swords and their practices. That knowledge-bank will rub up against itself from time to time, but that's debate for you. I would only worry if a question really did go unanswered from anyone, tersely or politely. You may not find everything he says agreeable in tone, but the forum would be a poorer place without him...even if he is an awkward bugger at times! ;)

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by Moon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:16 pm

simonatack wrote:I know moon can seem like a cantankerous old giffer in the terseness of some of his posts and responses...... < deletia >......You may not find everything he says agreeable in tone, but the forum would be a poorer place without him...even if he is an awkward bugger at times! ;)
Oi,watch it mush...I resemble those remarks and I've just cancelled my order for the 'Return to Ascension' prints too. :)
My posts are often terse,sometimes to the point of bordering on being downright bloody rude but that's not the real me...it's just been my experience in many real life situations that the only way that you can get people to sit up and take notice of what you have to say is to make yourself heard...that isn't possible on a forum because it's not like having a face to face or telephone conversation where the listener can determine from one's tone of voice the manner in which a sentence or two is meant...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the kind words guys,I'm flattered...really. :oops:

Now you can all go and boil your fuggin heads. :D

User avatar
skippydm
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by skippydm » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:35 pm

moon dont go getting all soft on us :P

I know what people mean, Forums you miss the little things like how people talk and the sounds body language etc, so things are often taken the wrong way ;)

quench
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by quench » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:07 pm

I mean the patience in learning, hopefully can be put toward iaido. I know I am going to have fun, and I have seen a dojo that suits me however there are no spaces atm. It's just 15 minutes walk from my house. I've visited 3 dojos, including Hagakure. I ended up choosing kashiwa, the one 15 mins away from me. This should hopefully solve the issue of transporting the bokken, iaito, shinken sword, or make it more relaxing ie. short journey.

simonatack
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: WEST YORKSHIRE

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by simonatack » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Moon wrote:
simonatack wrote:I know moon can seem like a cantankerous old giffer in the terseness of some of his posts and responses...... < deletia >......You may not find everything he says agreeable in tone, but the forum would be a poorer place without him...even if he is an awkward bugger at times! ;)
Oi,watch it mush...I resemble those remarks and I've just cancelled my order for the 'Return to Ascension' prints too. :)
My posts are often terse,sometimes to the point of bordering on being downright bloody rude but that's not the real me...it's just been my experience in many real life situations that the only way that you can get people to sit up and take notice of what you have to say is to make yourself heard...that isn't possible on a forum because it's not like having a face to face or telephone conversation where the listener can determine from one's tone of voice the manner in which a sentence or two is meant...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the kind words guys,I'm flattered...really. :oops:

Now you can all go and boil your fuggin heads. :D
You've been having a gander at my work, Mr Moon Sir...Touche! Now I'm blushing like a bloody beetroot! Yes, I am THAT Simon Atack who painted that particular Vulcan painting. Hope to still look forward to your order! :oops:

Post Reply