New Consultation to ban all swords

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Cool McSerious

Re: New Consultation to ban all swords

Post by Cool McSerious » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Just been reading over the last few pages... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Some of those posts are astonishing in the worst possible way.

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 am

I must admit I find it rather baffling as to why part time martial sword hobbyists are suddenly debating visual art and the "way of the warrior". I don't see any evidence of experience, of being either an artist or a warrior in anyone else here, I'm afraid. As for a knowlege of swordskills making one a warrior, in this day and age...? Well, too much romantisising and fantasising from reading too many novels might be at fault. It was the notion that art has no place in the life of a warrior that prompted my response. Utter nonsense, as, a visit to the collection of paintings and sculpture in the Imperial War Museum, or even a cursory read of the poems of Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and Rupert Brooke would most certainly prove there is. Or maybe I'm missing out on not having read 'Flashing Steel"?! Gentlemen, practice with all the devotion and enthusiasm demanded by all means; but 'Warriors' you are, most certainly, not! Don't know about you Cool 'Mac but, after reading that recent tripe about being allowed to carry a sword, openly in public, I found this latest notion amusing enough! Bet I get pounced-on for using the term 'Hobbyists' as well, but what else are the MAs among us here? ;)
Last edited by simonatack on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:43 am

I used to be an artist but I gave up drinking about a year ago :mrgreen: Seriously tough there are a few martial artists on this forum and their input is very much appreciated regardless of what they consider to be art, but you're right most of us are just casual collectors and there's nothing wrong with that either. You will obviously get the odd wally thinking he's a reborn samurai warlord on any sword related forum, but as this thread shows, they often get weeded out. Anyway I think its time to put this thread to bed aye gentlemen?

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:16 am

Agreed indeed. I don't like seeing knowledgable enthusiam boil over into unqualified-by-example slanging matches between people, MAs or not, who's points of view I greatly respect, otherwise, in other posts on this forum. By the way though Larnz, you still are an artist at times lad! :mrgreen:

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 am

Larnz wrote:I used to be an artist but I gave up drinking about a year ago :mrgreen: Seriously tough there are a few martial artists on this forum and their input is very much appreciated regardless of what they consider to be art, but you're right most of us are just casual collectors and there's nothing wrong with that either. You will obviously get the odd wally thinking he's a reborn samurai warlord on any sword related forum, but as this thread shows, they often get weeded out. Anyway I think its time to put this thread to bed aye gentlemen?
Theres also quite a few serious collectors of the reproduction pieces here, a few Novice Sword/Blade Smiths & Makers and also a few Japanomaniacs like myself who collect Japanese blades but like to know a little bit more about the history of Japan and the people they were used by.

But anyway Larn i couldn't agree with you more, i think its getting closer to the time to scuttle this thread.

Moon

Post by Moon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 am

Let's not forget that there is more than 1 member here who is an ex Professional Soldier,including a Royal Marine and a Paratrooper that I know of and the only thing that I can draw successfully is my Pension. ;)

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:48 pm

At least, you have a pension to draw moon old chum. I wonder sometimes, what I will have when that's the only thing I can reliably draw too, with the way things are going in this land of ours.

Cool McSerious

Post by Cool McSerious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:43 pm

I've read flashing steel and then I watched Kill Bill - I think that's evidence enough to suggest I'm a warrior. Oh and I watched 24 too so I'm probably a dab-hand at being a special forces agent :D

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:19 pm

I like Gordon Ramsey. Thanks to him, I am a world class chef who swears like a trooper and I know all there is about the restaurant game! :D

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:15 pm

By Joe, I think these boys have got what we were getting at :D

Cool McSerious

Post by Cool McSerious » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

You think? I'm gonna have to read over my notes...