The sword ban in scotland

Sword and website news, including special offers and new products

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Zoomy

The sword ban in scotland

Post by Zoomy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Does the ban on katanas extend to Scotland, or is it only Englad and Wales? I ask because of this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7138735.stm

"The announcement that samurai swords are to be banned in England and Wales..."

I feel like I'm clutching at straws now.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Re: The sword ban in scotland

Post by Big Lazy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:04 am

From what I understand yeah you're f*cked too.

Zoomy

Post by Zoomy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Larnz wrote:From what I understand yeah you're f*cked too.
I figured as much.

Stupid BBC.

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 pm

Scotland banned the sale of swords about 18 months ago but apparently it has not been able to enforce the law for some reason.
Note the dates and the ammendment at the head of this article.
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... 8/14094639
Scotland has the power to make it's own Laws but Wales and N.Ireland don't as yet but we're working on it. ;)

DarkEntity

Post by DarkEntity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Yip, you can still walk into Glasgow and buy a Samurai from any number of shops :D

or mail order ;)

Zoomy

Post by Zoomy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm

DarkEntity wrote:Yip, you can still walk into Glasgow and buy a Samurai from any number of shops :D

or mail order ;)
I've noticed.

You're from Glasgow, right? Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on Stuff, by Central Station? I've got some friends that know a thing or two about swords, and whilst one says that the expensive swords are okay, another wouldn't touch them. Figured I should ask a third party.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:28 pm

DarkEntity wrote:Yip, you can still walk into Glasgow and buy a Samurai from any number of shops :D

or mail order ;)
But I notice a few of the Edinburgh shops have moved on to selling purely tourist crap. :mrgreen:

DarkEntity

Post by DarkEntity » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Dont know the shop name but the large one across the road from Central did have some nice fantasy swords at one point, but i havent been in town in a few months, the tourist shop also had some lovely samurai and claymores, but again havent had a chance to pop through for a look.

Also now ive just bought the Military Kuchri and a new house i probably wont be buying much lol....

although i still need to get the Practical Plus Tanto for my set

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:58 am

I'll have to to check out that rip off shop I used to moan about next time I'm in the city centre and see what they have left. Probably just fake LOTR sh*t.

fatty-bolger

Post by fatty-bolger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:04 pm

really stupid question here - but there are no border checking or customs posts between England and Scotland is there? its just even though im exempt for some stuff its a bit of a hassle getting my club membership, the insurance certificate and proof the belong to something like the BCCMA - when i can just order from Scotland and get it sent down no questions asked kinda thing....

kiri

Post by kiri » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:24 pm

fatty-bolger wrote:really stupid question here - but there are no border checking or customs posts between England and Scotland is there? its just even though im exempt for some stuff its a bit of a hassle getting my club membership, the insurance certificate and proof the belong to something like the BCCMA - when i can just order from Scotland and get it sent down no questions asked kinda thing....
Hi,

No there are no border checks or customs checks between Scotland and England.(Although I am sure quite a few Scots wish there were! :D ) So obviously you could drive up there and buy one and drive back. If you have the exemptions then its shouldnt be breaking the law.
Do bear in mind that Scotland has a completely different legal system to England and Wales so best to check what Scots law actually says.
I dont know whether a Scotland based company would just post you a Katana to England as I am sure they will be aware of the ban and may still be breaking the law by importing it to England without the releavent checks.

Does anyone know what the law on swords is in France ? :D

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 pm

You guys are aware its illegal to import swords of any type from abroad into Scotland aren't ya?

fatty-bolger

Post by fatty-bolger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:41 am

Yes - but there are places that already have and hold stock in Scotland - so by buying from them it would just get sent down via parcel force or something with no legal checks?..

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 am

I dunno if you understood what I said there, I said its illegal to IMPORT swords into Scotland, not sell them there.

fatty-bolger

Post by fatty-bolger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Properly didn't understand me - i have that knack sometimes :roll:

I'm not talking about buying a sword into Scotland from a foreign country, I'm talking about ordering one from Scotland from one there shops up there which have Katanas, etc in stock - And getting it sent down into England. As i presume there is no customs on the Scottish/English borders to stop this sorta thing?

As like i said before ordering from them would be so much easier than buying from within England - as its a right hassle sending off all the official documents in the post to the supplier.

I'm hope I'm making a bit more sense - If not ill just leave it and save us all from being more confused.

But on a side note - i had heard that there revising the law in about 8 weeks - with rumors of the high end Paul Chens becoming Legal again - still don't know if that is true or not.