Kendo Dojo Finder

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Azeroth_Storm

Kendo Dojo Finder

Postby Azeroth_Storm » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:35 pm

http://www.kendo.org.uk/clubs.shtml
A respectable organisation.
Regards
Storm
First stage of swordsmanship requires the combination of man and sword.
Man is the sword, sword is the man.
Grass in the hand can be used as weapon too.
Second stage of swordsmanship requires sword in heart.
Bare hands could kill within 100 paces with the invisible sword.
The highest stage of swordsmanship, have no sword at all, neither in hands nor heart.
It is to comprehend everything liberally.
It is not to kill.
It is peace.

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:52 pm

lol....... nuff sed Storm :???:
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Azeroth_Storm

Postby Azeroth_Storm » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:59 pm

:S :D
Regards
Storm
First stage of swordsmanship requires the combination of man and sword.

Man is the sword, sword is the man.

Grass in the hand can be used as weapon too.

Second stage of swordsmanship requires sword in heart.

Bare hands could kill within 100 paces with the invisible sword.

The highest stage of swordsmanship, have no sword at all, neither in hands nor heart.

It is to comprehend everything liberally.

It is not to kill.

It is peace.

samurai_joe

Postby samurai_joe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:18 pm

wow theres a kendo club in leicester city centre thats great will have to change some shifts at work and go and have a look!

bin after starting kendo for a bin....

cheers

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm

My main concern with kendo is the cost :s But would definitely love to try it one day, once I get a job I guess the money won't be such a big deal.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:21 pm

Hatamoto wrote:My main concern with kendo is the cost :s But would definitely love to try it one day, once I get a job I guess the money won't be such a big deal.

Sadly, it 'can' cost a fortune. But it doesn't have to. :D

Gi and hakama = £50 (cheap) £100 (top quality)
shinai = £15 (cheap, but good enough) £30 (real good one)
bokken = £15 (good one)

If you join a dojo, they often lend or rent out armour, once your sensei has deemed you worthy of wearing it (usually after a few months).
But you can spend between £200 and £2000 on armour.

Mine cost £550.

It is an expensive art m8 tbh, but imho................well worth it!
Good luck.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:27 pm

I have a black hakama, and white and black gis to choose from, also have shinai and bokkens already (beating up friends since 1998 lol).

Thing about the armour is, the prices range so wide, I could expect some range between competitors of yknow, £100, or something, but if it ranges from £130 and £gulp, how do I know what's suitable, and stuff?

Any idea howl ong I can practice before I have to buy the armour? I tend to get anxious after a while with sticking to a lot of things, I'd hate to buy the armour then decide it's too much hassle and have nowhere to put it

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Well, if you're doubting yourself already, maybe its not for you.
I bought my armour within 3 weeks of starting kendo, but then i've spent most of my life studying MA's so i know it wasn't a fad when i started kendo.

You can get really cheap good bogu, probably a 6mm set for about £200(thats how far apart the stitches are), and it will last for quite a time. Then when you've been training a while, you'll start to customise it as and when you can. Mine is 2mm and it a pretty decent set.

How long you train before you don armour all depends on your development..... and your sensei. I was put in armour after 3 weeks, but then, i kind of had an idea what i was doing. But we have members in our club who after 4 months are not in armour yet.
But, please be patient. Your kendo will change completely once you get bogu on, so you need to get well versed with the basics before you wear it.
You say you already have gi, hak, shinai and bokken. Well you can use them, but let your sensei inspect the weapons before you walk into the dojo. And when you do walk into the dojo, do so humbly and prepare to have all your previous 'technique' ripped to shreds.
Most people call kendo a sport, but there is more discpline and etiquette in kendo than any other MA that i've studied.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:04 pm

*Grins* I have no assumptions really about my technique, I only have two stances lol, I know the cuts, but since I've never tried tameshigiri I don't know how well I actually can cut, if it all. So I'll be walking in there basically feeling about as humble and nervous as you can :$

And I'm not so much doubting myself, I mean, I LOVE aikido, but still only go in patches. I guess it's the classic male commitophobe, or something, I dunno, I don't get so much bored, as much as I get anxious doing the same thing. *shrug* kinda weird to explain.

Still, nothing to lose by trying it except money, right? And I have enough DVDs. lol

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:00 pm

Lol, ok then. Let me see if i can put you off some more. My kendo suffered and 2 years later, still suffers from over a decade of aikido stances and crappy aiki-ken swordwork.
Aikido uses the sword as a training aid nowadays. Its totally different to the way you'd use a sword in iaijustsu or kendo. And the postures, holy crap my sensei beats the bejesus outta me most weeks to try and drum correct posture into me. :roll:

Did i also say how much fun it is :D

MrOsborn

Re: Kendo Dojo Finder

Postby MrOsborn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for the heads up! I've been wondering about this for a while and didn't realise there was a dojo just across the park from me. Free first lesson too. :mrgreen:

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”