Your reaction time.

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Danee

Post by Danee » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:48 am

My average was 0.247.

Stazbumpa

Post by Stazbumpa » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Best was 0.204, average was 0.22.

Not bad for my first attempt.

Short Recoil

Post by Short Recoil » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:35 am

Well my reaction speed has increased, this is from training constantly of reactions to form faster neural networks.

just done 2 tests

Damn i'm fast.
I'm hoping to get under a 10th of a second reaction time by the end of the year, this is almost twice as fast as a normal human.

sprout

Post by sprout » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:39 am

How about, rather than training your reactions to click a button faster, train your martial arts skills to be faster through parter/solo training? This seems to be your goal, but either way, thats fast.

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:53 am

[/b]What dot i dat :|

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 am

sprout wrote:How about, rather than training your reactions to click a button faster, train your martial arts skills to be faster through parter/solo training? This seems to be your goal, but either way, thats fast.
I really don't see a difference between getting yourself to react faster on a color change and getting yourself to react on movement.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am

ones done by your finger, the other is done using your whole body.

plus the only thing that pushing a mouse button, quickly, will get you... is a quick finger.

also, its inaccurate. connection speed, hardware, and software all play a part. its a computer.... not a dojo.

sprout said what i was waiting for, ever sinse i saw this little thread, as a means to 'improve your reaction time' ......which made me laugh.

there is no way, on earth, that clicking a button on a screen will do anything but train that 1 finger, and its reaction... so why bother spending time doing that, when you could take 5 mins to actually DO something usefull.

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:56 pm

wtf? wrote:ones done by your finger, the other is done using your whole body.
Whats the difference? Its signals going from your eyes to your brain that increases your reaction time. Not your body parts. Obviously you can move a finger faster then an intire body, I don't think anyone is argueing that fact...
wtf? wrote: plus the only thing that pushing a mouse button, quickly, will get you... is a quick finger.
Indeed, but this is about reaction time (how fast the signals go from your eyes to your brain, then for you to get the desired body part moving), not finger speed.
wtf? wrote: also, its inaccurate. connection speed, hardware, and software all play a part. its a computer....
Unless your computer is bad and lags it wouldn't. A good computer, unfortunately, does not increase your reaction time.
wtf? wrote: this little thread, as a means to 'improve your reaction time' ......which made me laugh.
The thread, unless I missed something mentioned (possible), wasn't about improving your reaction time, just seeing what it is.
wtf? wrote: there is no way, on earth, that clicking a button on a screen will do anything but train that 1 finger, and its reaction... usefull.
Indeed I highly doubt the more you did this the faster your reaction time will be, it may increase momentarily if you play for an extended time. But I very highly doubt it will do anything for you long term.
Though if it were to increase your reaction time at all, I don't think you can only improve a reaction time to one body part seeing as how, as i mentioned before, its signals going from your eyes to your brain then to the body part of your choice. If i kept my toe on my mouse instead of my finger, once I got used to it, my reaction time in the game would be the same as with my finger.
*edit* Well, I suppose your toe wouldn't have the same reaction time as your finger, just becuase it's farther from your brain. But the time difference wouldn't be able to be recorded in only 2 decimal points. Not in a lot of decimal points.

If I'm wrong here, someone please tell me before wtf? gets on so I don't embarress myself 8)

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:57 pm

the idea that your reaction time is increased is limited to the fact that its type specific.

its impossible to increase your general reaction time, because, as you said, different parts of the body react differently, where your reaction time stays about the same... its more perception than an increase in speed... and it has a lot of limiting factors by way of body mechanics.

'training' the reaction from using a visual stimulus, to trigger a responce in the finger, will only train that specific responce.... so while your perception of that dot might get sharper... it can only be translated... and is limited to, the action itself.... in this case, the movement of a single finger.

while you may believe your reaction time has increased, by way of training the neural pathways, it wont translate into a 'upgraded' physical movement, as your muscles wont be able to react fast enough for the information... except your finger, of course... thats had the specific movement applied to it.... and has, for want of a better word, been trained.

sprout

Post by sprout » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:11 pm

^^ hence the reason simple punching drills exist, for example. and about your toe being furthur form your brain? how the hell is that a valid suggestion unless you're talking about blood flow (from the heart etc, distance wise) the reason you can't do that sort of stuff with your toe is because you havent used it for years and trained it to move like a finger. people that write with their feet do, i think.

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:17 am

sprout wrote: and about your toe being furthur form your brain? how the hell is that a valid suggestion unless you're talking about blood flow (from the heart etc, distance wise)
...I am talking distance wise, the comand to move your toe come from your brain, obviously it will get to your finger (closer to the brain) then your toe (probly the farthest from the brain) first. It would be the same thing you just gave an example of, blood flow from the heart, it has to travel threw the nerves just as the blood has to travel threw the veins. Like I said before the difference in time it took to get there ,though, is so little it doesn't matter.
sprout wrote: the reason you can't do that sort of stuff with your toe is because you havent used it for years and trained it to move like a finger. people that write with their feet do, i think.
I know how to move my toe and I use my toes constantly, everyone does, they keep balance...I can also move it just as fast as a finger, maybe a VERY little slower. If I put the mouse on the floor, I could play the game with my toe just as well as I could with my finger.
...why would I want to train my toe to be a finger...its a toe and I like it that way 8)

All that being said, I understand what you are saying wtf?.

sprout

Post by sprout » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Ok, so given that nerve impulses for motor functions travel at 110m/s, thats 0.009 seconds to get from my brain to my arm/hand, and 0.016 seconds to get from my brain to my foot/toe. not that much difference. I think the distance factor is too small to asccount for since you have to add in your brains reaction time.

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:00 pm

...I know that...I have said that twice

Steve Ishikawa

Post by Steve Ishikawa » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:25 am

I got 0.253 on average, it certainly woke me up in the morning :D