Ever suffered for your art...?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Banzai Joe

Ever suffered for your art...?

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:38 am

Give us a list of the injuries you've sustained in the pursuit of your martial arts, or even your sword arts, be it eastern, western, whatever.

heres mine:
Wado Ryu Karate 1985: broke right ankle doing mawashigeri which was blocked with elbow = in plaster for 2 weeks, went back to karate, broke ankle again doing mawashigeri which was blocked by same elbow block, but different person, back in plaster for 2 weeks :(. Delayed my joining Royal Marines.
Kickboxing, 1990: Did MA demonstration to promote premier of Van-Damme 'AWOL' at showcase cinemas, sat in splits for over 5 mins, tore the ligaments in me back = out of action for 8 months, in a corset for 5 weeks (no sniggering :tut: )
Kickboxing, 1991: broke left hand when attempting destruction of 1" wood, (only person NOT to break wood, but ONLY person TO break brick in same evening with same hand, go figure :S ) Went to hospital 3 days laters, bones had to be re-broken and set correctly = in plaster for 2 weeks.
Kickboxing, 1992:A year later to the same week, i did EXACTLY the same thing to my hand = in plaster for 1 week only.
Aikido, 1995: took a bad spill from a nasty kotogaeshi and popped my left shoulder, i still have the lump = out of action for 3 months
Aikido, c1998: 3 years out of action as a result of separating shoulder playing ice-hockey, although could still play hockey (?!)
Iaido, 2004: knee injury (old one from marines) stopped me performing waza from seiza and tate hiza, still can only do from tachi.
Aiki-Jitsu, 2004:adductor (groin) injury taken during breakfall (god knows how) = out of action for 7 weeks
kendo, 2004-05: as above out of action for 7 weeks, plus numerous blisters every bloody week.

Anyone suffer like this, hope its not just me :S
At present, im almost fit and healthy, lol.

Let us know.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 am

Dude you been in the wars! Only injuries I ever recieved from MA's was week long soreness after a tough session. Judging from your list of injuries remind me not to get back into MA's :|

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 am

Angelus wrote:Dude you been in the wars! Only injuries I ever recieved from MA's was week long soreness after a tough session. Judging from your list of injuries remind me not to get back into MA's :|

Lol. no kidding. MA aint for the intelligent.....
.....or the unlucky :S .....

edit: i bet some you re-enactment guys (Azeroth Storm) have seen a few hanging and smashed limbs, no?
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Azeroth_Storm

Postby Azeroth_Storm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Would this include my injuries over 18 years as a medieval stunt man?
Lets not include the cuts, bruises and stitches etc.
Oh, except the ones at York race course when I got hit in the head
with the ball and chain :|
Only really had a few bad ones.
Broke 4 ribs, one in 7 places under the arm pit. That was sore.
Blown my right hand up twice with pyrotechnics,
second time was the worst, 3 days in a burns unit,
then 11 weeks in a bag of cream before being able to bandage it.
Took ages for the tendons to heal and get full use of right hand.
Not a bad batting average really.
Had to have a tendon repaired for my little finger coz I cut through it
building a computer so nothing is safe ;)
Had stitches a few weeks age coz a glass broke when I was washing up.
Domestication is dodgy 8)
Regards
Storm
First stage of swordsmanship requires the combination of man and sword.
Man is the sword, sword is the man.
Grass in the hand can be used as weapon too.
Second stage of swordsmanship requires sword in heart.
Bare hands could kill within 100 paces with the invisible sword.
The highest stage of swordsmanship, have no sword at all, neither in hands nor heart.
It is to comprehend everything liberally.
It is not to kill.
It is peace.

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 pm

I knew you wouldn't let us down Storm, lol.

but...

Azeroth_Storm wrote:Had to have a tendon repaired for my little finger coz I cut through it

Was this from the sharp edges on a dodgy case?
I've cut my finger on every single build i've done (about 15), except my own, cos i used a lian li case :>

btw, i'd rather have doubled my injury list than suffer the burn you had, :???: well taken m8, muchos respectos!

Azeroth_Storm

Postby Azeroth_Storm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:16 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:I knew you wouldn't let us down Storm, lol.

but...

Azeroth_Storm wrote:Had to have a tendon repaired for my little finger coz I cut through it

Was this from the sharp edges on a dodgy case?
I've cut my finger on every single build i've done (about 15), except my own, cos i used a lian li case :>

btw, i'd rather have doubled my injury list than suffer the burn you had, :???: well taken m8, muchos respectos!

I cut the tendon when the screwdriver slipped and slammed my hand
into the floppy bay but yes, I have had several cuts from cases.
The burns I suffered were nothing in comparison to some of the folks in there.
Not really any consolation at the time but there ya go.
One dude had been trapped in a burning car, he had a bandage balaclava
and loin cloth and that was it.
He was purple from head to toe without any hair on his entire body.
Puts things in perspective.
Oddly, it was the only ward in withamshaw hospital that had a smoking room.
Apparently, they had decided not to argue with these folks as there is little
they can do about the pain other than morph you up until you pass out.
Have had a helluva lot of fun over the years so I wouldnt have traded it for a "safe" life anyhoo (H)
Regards
Storm
First stage of swordsmanship requires the combination of man and sword.

Man is the sword, sword is the man.

Grass in the hand can be used as weapon too.

Second stage of swordsmanship requires sword in heart.

Bare hands could kill within 100 paces with the invisible sword.

The highest stage of swordsmanship, have no sword at all, neither in hands nor heart.

It is to comprehend everything liberally.

It is not to kill.

It is peace.

Honda T

Postby Honda T » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Banzai Joe.....
aka Frank Spencer

Blimey mate, I've had a few pulled muscles, ligaments, the usual, but nothing like that list.

One of my hobbies is model aircraft flying. Had a propellor doing about 11,000 revs a min. cut into my arm once - nasty!

Your groin injury in aiki-jutsu could have been brought on by something else. A work college is an ex-para, made 30 jumps.... but injured his back jumping an 18 inch wall on an assault course! Sometimes, it's a small straw that can break the camels back.
Regards,
Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.
Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:06 pm

Ok, firstly

Honda T wrote:Banzai Joe.....
aka Frank Spencer

cheeky bleeder! :@

secondly, hello m8, not heard from you in a while :>

Aye, i've had my fair share. But i tend to go 'balls to the wall' with everything i do, so i'm bound to come a cropper a percentage of the time. My nickname at hockey was 'headless chicken'. Its also partly why i chose the name Banzai (go diving in without thought of ones self, lol).
But, as they say, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

As for the groin injury in AJ, yeah, i was talking the students through randori as i took the ukemi, obviously not concentrating as i was still talking whilst flying through the air (lol), i landed and both legs shut together and i heard the 'twannggggg' and then the pain started, ouch!

But hey, ho, i'm back at it and loving it all. Although at 35 years young, i am starting to wise up, slowly. 8)

Honda T

Postby Honda T » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:57 pm

Well, at 43 yrs not so young, I gueses I wised up a good time ago. Someone asked me the other day, in 25 yrs of riding bikes, how many 'offs' I'd had....

I had three in the first few years, after that I wised up - it's expensive!

As for injuries in MA, when I practice aikido, - well, we all want someone left to practice with. Besides, I always know it's the next guys turn!

I don't visit the forums (any of which I'm a member) so often now - too busy at home with a couple martial arts, flying model planes (must finish my friends large scale one I've had for 2 yrs!), playing guitar, riding bikes (incl daughters mini moto!), not to mention having two jobs (albeit one part time, the other a long commute to London) and just generally toddler sitting - taking her to playschool, park, etc - while the wifes at work, etc.

Can someone please give me time to breath?
Regards,

Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.

Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

Short Recoil

Postby Short Recoil » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:36 pm

Never really been injured in my life, only bruises and joint pains etc.
Never had a nose bleed, never broken a bone etc.

It's not that i sit in a house all the time or anything, it's just i'm skillful and avoid danger.

FrozenJR

Postby FrozenJR » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:10 am

if sailing is an art, which i highly doubt. well it can be mine :D

the worst i ever sustained was when the mast came down in 40 knots of wind, and a shard off metal went through my hand. well between my knuckles, so both scars are on the same side, if you imagine a clenched fist. it really killed. and salt water.

i used to do tae kwon do and in that i got many brusies and bled alot. me and my partner were pretty violent at times which was naughty of us :tut:

Killua

Postby Killua » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 am

Hmm, I've bruised bones before, but never really done anything serious. I guess it helps that my sparring partners are talented too.

arch angel

Postby arch angel » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:40 pm

last year i was cutting some milk cartons with a katana , afterwards the blade slipped from the saya and i grabbed it rather than let it fall out :tut:
silly boy :tut: it was only a uc kat , i had some nice cuts across my palm
and fingers, now i never let my swords hang down to horizontal to avoid
such stupid accidents

when i was 19 i broke my wrist with a mistimed hook on the heavy bag
and had the cast on for six weeks and ive blew my knuckles up a few times
due to poorly wrapped hands before an amateur fight

not a patch on you banzai - you must have thrown yourself in to sparring-
the most painful thing i can remember is i went to tae kwon do once and sparred with a guy who kicked me in the solar plexus , jeez that still brings
tears to me eyes :evil:
to reign is worthy of ambition though in hell -
better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:28 pm

there was this one time... I was sending a letter off and when I licked the envelope, I got a really nasty little paper cut on my tongue.... :>

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:20 pm

Boxing - not a martial art but...

Been knocked-out a few times
broken nose
lots of blisters
strained my wrist very badly once
pulled 3 muscles in my back (in one go)
lots of minor cuts and bruises
"Can't kill a man without knowin' for sure you ought too..."

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”