Question from the large one

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Otaku Tsunami

Question from the large one

Post by Otaku Tsunami » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:55 pm

I'm looking to take up Iaido, but, being a big fatso, am wondering if I'll get away with it? I do excersice, and am losing weight as a result, but this kind of thing takes time... Should I wait while I'm not classed as clinically obese, or just go for it?

Killua

Post by Killua » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:59 pm

That's a tricky one. Obviously weight influences mobility and flexibilty, so waiting until you're thinner makes sense. Also, you don't want to have to buy your clothing twice, do you?

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:19 am

You could also start a different martial art while your waiting, one that can help you get into shape, and will also teach you how to move no matter your weight/body type. An art like jujutsu that will teach you how to move your mass and energy easier, and teach you how to use any weight you have on you to your advantage. Though if those kind of arts arnt you thing, I guess you could just keep hitting the gym till you start iaido instead. 8)

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:28 am

I'm a chunky monkey myself and before I knackered my back I used to be able to move just as fast as a normal person, and dare I say I was a lot more flexible too.... the only problem was I could only manage it in short bursts as I never had the stamina (bedroom action excluded of course (H) ) so go for it dude, be like Samo Hung :D

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:10 am

darkhobo wrote:You could also start a different martial art while your waiting, one that can help you get into shape, and will also teach you how to move no matter your weight/body type. An art like jujutsu that will teach you how to move your mass and energy easier, and teach you how to use any weight you have on you to your advantage. Though if those kind of arts arnt you thing, I guess you could just keep hitting the gym till you start iaido instead. 8)
Dude, are you mad, lol. Otaku said he was 'clinically obese'. There's no way he should attempt something like ju-jutsu, which involves more body movement than most other arts, ie; kicks, punches, locks, takedowns, groundwork. that would not be wise.

Otaku, there is an enoorrrrmous guy who trains in our iai dojo. As far i can remember, he only performans waza from tachi (standing), possibly due to his weight, but then so do i, due to injury, so dson't let it concern you. Its not an art where you need super fitness, but it will certainly 'help' you in your quest to get fitter. I say, if you want ot do it, go for it, just discuss all your concerns with your sensei.
Good luck m8.

Otaku Tsunami

Post by Otaku Tsunami » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:06 pm

I'm planning on waiting while the end of August/begining of September if I start - get summer out of the way, seeing as I don't do too well in hot weather. Still, thanks for the advice, and I'll let you know what I decide!

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:19 am

[quote="Banzai Joe"]
Dude, are you mad, lol. Otaku said he was 'clinically obese'quote]
Well, I meant more grappling then anythign else, but I see your point. Though there is a big guy in my class and he keeps up with us on all the standing work, and with grappling he is impossible to beat.

Otaku Tsunami

Post by Otaku Tsunami » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm

It's only the health charts that class me as clinically obese. A lot of people are suprised by how active and nimble I can be. I can move about pretty normally, I just carry a 'fuel tank' around with me...

Got a couple more questions I should've asked, but didn't:

- Should I contact the club before attending, or is it okay to just show up at the start of a session?

- How steady a hand do you need? This one might seem a little wierd to ask about, but I've got a few wires crossed upstairs, and my hands shake uncontrollably as a result. Most of the time it's not that noticeable, but sometimes, when I'm stressed or nervous (or I forget my medicine), the shakes get pretty severe.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:35 pm

Otaku Tsunami wrote:It's only the health charts that class me as clinically obese. A lot of people are suprised by how active and nimble I can be. I can move about pretty normally, I just carry a 'fuel tank' around with me...

Got a couple more questions I should've asked, but didn't:

- Should I contact the club before attending, or is it okay to just show up at the start of a session?

- How steady a hand do you need? This one might seem a little wierd to ask about, but I've got a few wires crossed upstairs, and my hands shake uncontrollably as a result. Most of the time it's not that noticeable, but sometimes, when I'm stressed or nervous (or I forget my medicine), the shakes get pretty severe.
Ok, if your last bit is a serious question and not a joke then the DEFINITE answer to q1 is YES YES YES. I would always say 'yes' anyway, as it shows correct etiquette to contact the dojo leader prior to turning up. Plus it gives you the chance to ask questions in an unhurried atmosphere rather than at the dojo where time may be short.
ANY medical/clinical needs you have should definitely be discussed with the dojo leader beforehand. The chances are, you are likely to get stressed when you 1st start training anyway, cos its new and you'll be trying to take in everything that you are doing and it will lead to some anxiety which is natural, but if you are prone to this and have documented side effects, sensei needs to be aware, especially when you'll be waving a stick or sword around.
Are you seriously on medication? Cos depending on how strong it is and how dependent you are on it, will also determine whether you are allowed to train at all. Safety will always come first m8.
BUT, don't let any of this put you off. You'll never know unless you ask, but you MUST ask!

Good luck. If any of this helps, and you have questions please keep asking. :tumbsup:

Satori

Post by Satori » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:08 pm

I'm no doctor but from what i hear and have kind of read and researched during classes and stuff (not actually on this specific topic but i ahve touched on such things) you do not have to be so super overweight to be classed as obese, also, many charts, in fact nearly all, depend on an average, therefore, if you're are have a large bone structure and a lot of muscle, you may be classed as obese without actually being what everyone else would stereotypically think of as an obese person. But i say again, i am by no means an expert and i have never met you so i dont know, but you do :D

Otaku Tsunami

Post by Otaku Tsunami » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:Ok, if your last bit is a serious question and not a joke then the DEFINITE answer to q1 is YES YES YES. I would always say 'yes' anyway, as it shows correct etiquette to contact the dojo leader prior to turning up. Plus it gives you the chance to ask questions in an unhurried atmosphere rather than at the dojo where time may be short.
ANY medical/clinical needs you have should definitely be discussed with the dojo leader beforehand. The chances are, you are likely to get stressed when you 1st start training anyway, cos its new and you'll be trying to take in everything that you are doing and it will lead to some anxiety which is natural, but if you are prone to this and have documented side effects, sensei needs to be aware, especially when you'll be waving a stick or sword around.
Are you seriously on medication? Cos depending on how strong it is and how dependent you are on it, will also determine whether you are allowed to train at all. Safety will always come first m8.
BUT, don't let any of this put you off. You'll never know unless you ask, but you MUST ask!

Good luck. If any of this helps, and you have questions please keep asking. :tumbsup:
It's not a joke, I am on medication for tremors.

Apart from the tremors, which don't really interfere with day to day life (I just asked to be on the safe side), and the medication, which doesn't have any side effects, I'm perfectly healthy, albeit about five stone overwieght... The tremors are never so violent that they make me drop or throw things, If anything, they're irritating and a little embarrasing, and other than that, I don't really think that they would interfere with me doing Iaido.

Thanks again!

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Otaku Tsunami wrote:It's not a joke, I am on medication for tremors.

Apart from the tremors, which don't really interfere with day to day life (I just asked to be on the safe side), and the medication, which doesn't have any side effects, I'm perfectly healthy, albeit about five stone overwieght... The tremors are never so violent that they make me drop or throw things, If anything, they're irritating and a little embarrasing, and other than that, I don't really think that they would interfere with me doing Iaido.

Thanks again!
Then go for it dude, just talk to the sensei first.
Good luck and enjoy.

Post by 2841981 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:14 pm

hey as a bit of encouragement check out the guy in the L-6 video clip in the sword chat forum now he is big but as a result can put a lot of power into those cuts

good luck whatever you decide

nath/2841981

Killua

Post by Killua » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 pm

2841981 wrote:hey as a bit of encouragement check out the guy in the L-6 video clip in the sword chat forum now he is big but as a result can put a lot of power into those cuts

good luck whatever you decide

nath/2841981
That guy is definitely WAY more than 5 stone overweight too >.<

Otaku Tsunami

Post by Otaku Tsunami » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:57 pm

I can't get to the video cuz I'm using a dodgy public access PC, and don't have the net at home...

And it might be a bit more difficult to start now than it would have been back when I first posted - I'm working saturdays now...