correct grip, of a sword

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

dustytretch
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby dustytretch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I am reading Miyamoto Musashi's 'a book of 5 rings' at the moment and he recommends using 1 hand for more fluid movements
even if the katana feels a bit heavy it is good to get used to it.
Any thoughts on this approach?

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I wouldn't personally do it as you halve your leverage with one hand, lessen your overall controll and accuracy, and you halve your speed, but if you use a wakisashi it would work better, but it still leaves a flailing arm flipping about doing nothing
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

dustytretch
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby dustytretch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I am trying to find out if Miyamoto himself only used one hand and one katana or he just recommended it for his two swords method :S

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby Moon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

dustytretch wrote:I am trying to find out if Miyamoto himself only used one hand and one katana or he just recommended it for his two swords method :S

Musashi's book of 5 rings will leave you with more questions than answers which many 'experts' give their own interpretation of but one thing that is patently obvious is that no Samurai ever used one katana single handed and it's impossible to authenticate if he actually ever used a daisho except in training...Musashi states that he was never defeated in a duel but that's not true and it appears that his prefered choice of weapon was the Bo.

If you believe all that you read it is better not to read ~ Japanese proverb
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

dustytretch
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby dustytretch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:21 am

Moon wrote:
dustytretch wrote:I am trying to find out if Miyamoto himself only used one hand and one katana or he just recommended it for his two swords method :S

Musashi's book of 5 rings will leave you with more questions than answers which many 'experts' give their own interpretation of but one thing that is patently obvious is that no Samurai ever used one katana single handed and it's impossible to authenticate if he actually ever used a daisho except in training...Musashi states that he was never defeated in a duel but that's not true and it appears that his prefered choice of weapon was the Bo.

If you believe all that you read it is better not to read ~ Japanese proverb


Thanks for clearing that up!
The part of the scroll of water that I have read seems to be very open to interpretation on the description of technique.
His preferred weapon was a Bo, thats a surprise, all stories I hear about his duels it seems like he used a katana or a bokken.
In a book of 5 rings it definitely seems to me he says to use a katana in one hand and a wakizashi in the other, could this just be the translation?

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Not sure but I would imagine a katana and wakisashi in each hand would be a disadvantage, the handle of the katana and wak would be too slow and limply swung to use in battle conditions, especially when drawing them form the saya quickly.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby wtf? » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Not sure but I would imagine a katana and wakisashi in each hand would be a disadvantage, the handle of the katana and wak would be too slow and limply swung to use in battle conditions, especially when drawing them form the saya quickly.


In battle conditions... You would also get peppered with arrows.
Image
God i LOVE these things.

Image

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.


Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest