correct grip, of a sword

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

correct grip, of a sword

Postby wtf? » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:36 pm

found these on bugei forum, they were done by Charles Bourque (who gave me permission to copy them to here) people have been asking, and this is the best illistration ive seen.

the first one shows the common grip used.

second, the correct grip,

and the 3rd shows the same, in a slightly different way.

the second (and third) grip used, is the one i was tought to use... but both are equally as valid.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Useful illustrations, I can't remember what I was taught in aikijutsu, but I remember it was crap. I saw an instructional video a while ago saying basically just the little fingero f the left hand holds tightly, and the first finger/thumb holds tightly on the right hand. That seems to work ok too.

What I wonder though, is is there any benefit to the schools that only hold with half of the left hand?
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Its often just horses for courses dude, but the grip could have reflected the type of kote (gloves/gauntlets) they wore during combat.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Tempest UK

Postby Tempest UK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:17 pm

I was taught the second method in kendo. It really is a lot easier on the hands after a while than the first (incorrect) one, too :|

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:21 pm

yeah, kumdo sword technique is quite different to that of kendo's. The cuts are different too.

Hey, Steve Plimbey (5th dan)was really taken to the wire on sunday in the Premiers Cup, by one of our shodan's. He only won at the very end.

There was some cracking kendo going on dude.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 pm

What's kumdo?
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:57 pm

Kumdo = the korean version of kendo.
The first grip pic is haidong gumdo (kumdo style)

crwydryny

Re: correct grip, of a sword

Postby crwydryny » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

personally the method I was taught when I first started aikido was to curl the left little finger under the kashira with the thumb, ring and middle finger holding while the index finger is lose. with only the thumb, ring and middle finger holding with the right hand and the index and little finger lose. hands about a fist width apart. this grip I've found offers most flexability and control at least for me, but I've trained with people from other styles who claim other grips are better so I guess it comes down to the person holding the sword.
death is more universal than life
everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Miageta saki he to
Aruki daseru hazu
Dokomademo yukeru
Jibun naku sa nai nara

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:26 am

crwydryny wrote:personally the method I was taught when I first started aikido was to curl the left little finger under the kashira with the thumb, ring and middle finger holding while the index finger is lose. with only the thumb, ring and middle finger holding with the right hand and the index and little finger lose. hands about a fist width apart. this grip I've found offers most flexability and control at least for me, but I've trained with people from other styles who claim other grips are better so I guess it comes down to the person holding the sword.

Although this thread was dead and buried and those that have posted in it no longer visit here, I think it's worth mentioning that Mr Charles Bourque was banned from the old Bugei forum shortly after posting 'The correct grip of a sword'...the 'correct' grip depends on the Koryu of Iaido/Iaijutsu/Kenjutsu and not the personal preference of the Iaidoka...if you're doing it wrong and are allowed to continue to do so, you're not being instructed at all, unless you're a member of one of the many 'MacDojo' outfits.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

crwydryny

Postby crwydryny » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Moon wrote: the 'correct' grip depends on the Koryu of Iaido/Iaijutsu/Kenjutsu and not the personal preference of the Iaidoka...if you're doing it wrong and are allowed to continue to do so, you're not being instructed at all, unless you're a member of one of the many 'MacDojo' outfits.

true, I've trained with people from many clubs and diffrent styles and each have their own prefrences on the "correct grip", but in my experience it also comes down to the person holding it, for example one guy I train with has damaged his hand to the point where he has little to no use of it so he has to modify the grip so he can use the weapon, (grantd that's an extreme example)
but when you take into account that not everyone is the same size that some people have longer fingers, wider hands, shorter fingers, less mobility, weaker joints ect some times they have to change the grip to suit them. for example I often get picked up on my stance as my feet turn inwards due to damage to my lower legs and because my back isn't straight due to a curved spine and for me to stand in what they consider the correct stance would mean for me to dislocate my hips and lose all feeling from my waist down due to compression on my lambatic nerve.
so tre that it may largly be down to the individual style to teach what they belive is the correct grip. sometimes the individual's own body has to dictate what is most comfortable

Miageta saki he to
Aruki daseru hazu
Dokomademo yukeru
Jibun naku sa nai nara

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:22 am

Grip it with your hands :mrgreen:
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Grip it with your hands :mrgreen:

See my sig'. :|

crwydryny wrote:true, I've trained with people from many clubs and diffrent styles and each have their own prefrences on the "correct grip", but in my experience it also comes down to the person holding it, for example one guy I train with has damaged his hand to the point where he has little to no use of it so he has to modify the grip so he can use the weapon, (grantd that's an extreme example)
but when you take into account that not everyone is the same size that some people have longer fingers, wider hands, shorter fingers, less mobility, weaker joints ect some times they have to change the grip to suit them. for example I often get picked up on my stance as my feet turn inwards due to damage to my lower legs and because my back isn't straight due to a curved spine and for me to stand in what they consider the correct stance would mean for me to dislocate my hips and lose all feeling from my waist down due to compression on my lambatic nerve.
so tre that it may largly be down to the individual style to teach what they belive is the correct grip. sometimes the individual's own body has to dictate what is most comfortable

Exactly. ;)
There are no absolutes in any sword related martial art that I'm aware of...except for the elitists who I have no time for.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:08 am

Sorry to offend your wisdom master moon, I shall resume my life in silence ;)

crwydryny

Postby crwydryny » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Grip it with your hands :mrgreen:

you mean this whole time I've been doing it wrong by gripping with my feet? damn who would have thought lol

Miageta saki he to
Aruki daseru hazu
Dokomademo yukeru
Jibun naku sa nai nara

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I normally grip it like a pencil moustache **nuns*

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”