Thinking of taking up a martial art

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Angelus

Thinking of taking up a martial art

Post by Angelus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking of taking up a martial art and have noticed that my local gym does lessons in Wu Shu Kwan (chinese kick boxing) anyone do this art and tell me what its like? I've read through their website and it looks pretty cool but looking for opinions from anyone who does the art.

Cheers guys

Hanzo hatori

Post by Hanzo hatori » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:08 pm

i hate kickboxing, after seeing someones leg snap in half after they collided shins with another boxer *shudders*

dont they do sword arts?

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Yeah apparently its another name for Kung Fu

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:04 pm

ange mate dont take this the wrong way - i dont know anything about you - (and, please god, dont take this the wrong way) but kickboxing is realy realy tough stuff and it hurts.
thing is though, if you stick it through it can make you into a realy dangerous person.( which is handy)
but it hurts.its just as much up here *taps forehead*
as it is physicaly.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:57 pm

Thats cool mate I'm looking for something that will push me as by nature I'm a lazy person when it comes to exercising so with any luck this will give me a push in the right direction. Do you do this art then Sam? Is it a good art to learn? etc etc

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:42 pm

it all depends on what you want.

kickboxing is more of a sport usually... sparring matches usually go on points, and the art (by, and large) only teaches kicks, and punches.

(missing out knee's, elbows, finger strikes, headbutts, wrist locks, arm locks leg locks, throws, takedowns, standing grappling, floor grappling, pressure points, weapons use, and defence... plus a whole host of other things.)

if its for a sport, or exercise, its all good... to be combative, you need to cover all bases.

if your lucky, you might be able to find a single art to cater to all of this... if not, you would need to (eventually) incorperate other arts.

if your interested in a specific art, or aspect of an art, i can usually dig up some decent info on them.

*EDIT* didnt see the wu-shu bit.

ive never did it for any great amount of time... maybe about 2 months worth... but they do practice it, at the same time as my wing chun, so i got to watch a lot more than i actually did.... theres a lot of fips, and spins... lots of stances... and not much more.

it was a lot of fun.... especially considering we all had to work on a sprung floor (it was a profecional gymnasium).... but it was ultimately useless as a combat art. it does help with fitness (due to all the flippy things) and it has some..... interesting..... forms, and weapons... but its all show really. its a 'stainless steel' martial art

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:32 pm

So in your opinion this would probably be a waste of time on a combat level? Do you have any knowledge of something called wingtchun? This is another art taught at my local gym however I know nothing about it, other then this art there are 2 karate classes and an aikido class, I've tried karate before and didn't take to the amount of kata's and things

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:49 pm

the experence i have with wu-shu is because i study wing chun in the same room... ive been learning for about a year now, but am about to give it up.

the art itself is quite good.... its technicly the 'smallest' art, having only about 52 techniques. i joined it because i loved the trapping aspect... and now ive got a good idea, i no longer need to train with it.

its main advantage is the standing, striking techniques, and sensitivity drills. they really do help you with a lot of martal art principles.

it still lacks the aspects of something like ju-jutsu, but its not a bad starting art. if you were so inclined, you could mix it with the aikido, nearby... that would give you a VERY good set of skills that would greatly imporove future arts.

aikido, and wing chun are usually arts id suggest to add to a base art in something more 'harsh' and street real. but either one is a passable, working street art, with a little thought.

if you were to take (in the long term) wing chun, aikido, and something like jujutsu, you'd have a VERY usefull system. covering most situations, and all types of techniques.

(that being a soft japanese art, a hard japanese art, and a mixed chinese art)

this is all assuming the arts are good, and the instructors are good.... the only way to know, is to have a watch, and ask plenty of questions... using common sense as a deciding vote.

dont be afraid to chalenge a instructor on something you dissagree with. if he knows his art... if he's worth learning from... he will welcome the questions, and have a good... common sense answer for you. and will also be able to dissprove any missgivings you have.

im constantly probing my instructors with
'but that doesnt make sense, cus of this....'
or
'yeah... but what if this happened?'
and
'ah, but id be able to do THIS'

and other such annoyances..... its the only way you learn.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:52 pm

wow... that was a long post... sorry.

(also, to add something... all of the arts you mentioned you wanted to try, are all partner based.... you get the feedback from a training partner... thats austoundingly (sp?) usefull..... karate has a lot of standing in lines, and kata)

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:57 pm

Yeah as I said I've tried Karate in the past and it didn't do much for me coz of the kata's and stuff, so you would recommend wingtchun as a participant then? This is all in the hypothetical stages at the moment due to various things, but in your opinion wingtchun is probably the one to go for, possibly mixed with aikido?

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:18 pm

out of that selection, wing chun all the way..... for me, anyway.

and yeah, partisipate... but ask questions first, watch a months worth of classes.
read a bit on the history. it will all go a long way to improving the art... or at least, thats what ive found.

more than anything, id say watch them ALL, read up about them ALL... and at some point, TRY them all.

i went through 18 arts, before i found the set i was happy with. and i asked a awfull lot of questions, and irritated a fair few instructors on my way... but i can now happily say, that i think i have a good set of complimentry arts, that perfectly suit me, and make me able to defend myself, in a efficent way.

martial arts are more of an ocean, than a path.

Kev63

Post by Kev63 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:20 am

Wing chun is great imo. Nice art. Heh and you can't forget it's basiccaly what made Bruce Lee :>

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:21 am

lets not forget gung fu and the host of other combat arts he dabbled in includin dance, for footwork

althoughu restate that, what made bruce lee a compitent fighter

what actually made bruce lee was mr and mrs lee's fun night of :bestemoticonEVER:

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:41 am

Angelus wrote:Thats cool mate I'm looking for something that will push me as by nature I'm a lazy person when it comes to exercising so with any luck this will give me a push in the right direction. Do you do this art then Sam? Is it a good art to learn? etc etc
i have done a year kickboxing but i havnt done (i think) any of the variations that you listed there.
i just thought i'd say something becuase of how similar the styles are.
and YES kickboxing gets you fit, very fit if you stick to it and hard.
i have done boxing aswell and (setting you homework now ange) if you watch a boxer in a fight they do a 'move' if you like, called a combination.
this is a combination of several different punches thrown very fast at an opponent.
kickboxers do the same BUT they can use a kick or kicks aswell.
if done properly this stuff can be amazing to watch. (and you wouldnt want to get in the way either)

Satori

Post by Satori » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:40 pm

BlackRonin wrote:lets not forget gung fu and the host of other combat arts he dabbled in includin dance, for footwork

althoughu restate that, what made bruce lee a compitent fighter

what actually made bruce lee was mr and mrs lee's fun night of :bestemoticonEVER:
Gung Fu is Kung Fu, Kung Fu is just the western way of saying it, also, he didn't do Gung Fu as well as Wing Chun, Wing Chun was the style of Gung Fu (or kung fu) he practised.