Martial Arts

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Dreadnought wrote:P.S I'm a student of caveman fu, its mostly shouting "UG" at the top of your lungs and clubbing people until they stop moving, its rarely let me down lol

LMFAO!!!!!

:???: :???: :???:

Dreadnought

Postby Dreadnought » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:34 pm

wtf? wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but moving towards a blow and then tensing up to absorb it, sounds counter productive and doesn't bring to mind Newtons law, Einsteins theory of relativity maybe (fist traveling at say 50mph + you moving forwards at say 20mph = smack in chops at 70mph, doesn't sound like fun to me :| lol)

I'm with darkhobo and wtf? you have to be a very special individual to get whacked by a person of a certain stature and "absorb the blow" then calmly lock them up

P.S I'm a student of caveman fu, its mostly shouting "UG" at the top of your lungs and clubbing people until they stop moving, its rarely let me down lol

P.P.S Newtons law would work I suppose, the only downside would be the equal and opposite reaction would be who ever gets whacked flying back and landing on the floor in the starfish position lol

because your the size of a small buffalo, Jai. stop showing off. :D
Small buffalo? I'm insulted :(

I'm at least medium sized ;)

Anyway dude I've seen you fight and although you pull out some flashy moves a la "muscle memory" you seem fairly well versed in the subtle art of bludgeoning someone unconscious, repeat after me "UG!!!" lol
BlackRonin wrote:ahh a boy playng with his big snake what fun :D

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:36 pm

lmao, Caveman fu sounds good to me :D

Charlie McKenzie (Mike Myers): Scotland has its own martial arts... it's called "FOOK YOO!" It's mainly headbutting, and then kicking them while they're on the ground

- So I Married An Axe Murderer

For the record, guys, I mentioned my side kick only for the sake of the power behind it due to my weight, and so on, and it's not a jump kick, it's more a shuffle side ways (think Bruce Lee, he did it I think in Way of the Dragon, demsonstrating it to the other waiters behind the restaurant, it's similar to that.)

And like I said, I wouldn't dare use it in a fight. The only fight I've had, I responded to a snap hook to the temple with a f*cking front snap kick, coz I was doing tae kwon do at the time and that was about all I could think of to do. Needless to say, I got my ass pwned.

If I learned nothing else in aikijutsu though, it was to never kick above the stomach. Usually when sparring with James or Jake, I'll kick to the inside or outside thigh of the front leg, I tend not to go for a sweep, find they only have to lift the foot a little to avoid mine, and it'll leave me open.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 pm

Dreadnought wrote:
wtf? wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but moving towards a blow and then tensing up to absorb it, sounds counter productive and doesn't bring to mind Newtons law, Einsteins theory of relativity maybe (fist traveling at say 50mph + you moving forwards at say 20mph = smack in chops at 70mph, doesn't sound like fun to me :| lol)

I'm with darkhobo and wtf? you have to be a very special individual to get whacked by a person of a certain stature and "absorb the blow" then calmly lock them up

P.S I'm a student of caveman fu, its mostly shouting "UG" at the top of your lungs and clubbing people until they stop moving, its rarely let me down lol

P.P.S Newtons law would work I suppose, the only downside would be the equal and opposite reaction would be who ever gets whacked flying back and landing on the floor in the starfish position lol

because your the size of a small buffalo, Jai. stop showing off. :D
Small buffalo? I'm insulted :(

I'm at least medium sized ;)

Anyway dude I've seen you fight and although you pull out some flashy moves a la "muscle memory" you seem fairly well versed in the subtle art of bludgeoning someone unconscious, repeat after me "UG!!!" lol

oh... you mean when i start doing this.... :@

....yeah... well, theres not always time to show off, when heads need to be rammed into things, at high speed. granted. lol

so Ug, brother.............. Ug.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:39 pm

Hatamoto wrote:
Charlie McKenzie (Mike Myers): Scotland has its own martial arts... it's called "FOOK YOO!" It's mainly headbutting, and then kicking them while they're on the ground

That must be what Zinadine Zidane studies :D
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Yeah, pretty sure, if you look up his bio online, it says studied Fook Yoo from age 3, considered a master of nutting out sports people. In lieu of a sportsperson he's happy to KO footballers.

Dreadnought

Postby Dreadnought » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 pm

Caveman Fu is a much older art but you can trace the roots of "FOOK YOO" directly back to CF.

Aye, its not really a timeframe thing though its more of a outnumbered thing, can't be fancy with a rabid Chav on your back *sigh* lol

Back on topic, there is a lot to be said for brute force and ignorance coupled with ferocity, I've seen MA's taken apart by complete novices.
Infact most of the really dangerous street fighters I know have never stepped foot in a "dojo" most of them do either a little Boxing, Wrestling (Olympic not WWE or Luchadore lol) or ta little of both.
Last edited by Dreadnought on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackRonin wrote:ahh a boy playng with his big snake what fun :D

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:52 pm

lmao, thought you said "or trained in Porth" (rough area a short car drive away from me.)

As for the novices... My mate Chris doens't go for martial arts, but he fights like a bear. Ever see a bear fight?

He'll come charging in at you with open palm hooks to the sides of your head, and as your arms go up to block, or try to cover up, he'll rugby tackle you to the ground, where he'll resume the barrage.

The guy is seriously powerful, too, been on the receiving end of it, and he gets a lovely deep thud when he does it to a heavybag.

Ultimately, experience and intent > technique, I think.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Hatamoto wrote:lmao, thought you said "or trained in Porth" (rough area a short car drive away from me.)

As for the novices... My mate Chris doens't go for martial arts, but he fights like a bear. Ever see a bear fight?

He'll come charging in at you with open palm hooks to the sides of your head, and as your arms go up to block, or try to cover up, he'll rugby tackle you to the ground, where he'll resume the barrage.

The guy is seriously powerful, too, been on the receiving end of it, and he gets a lovely deep thud when he does it to a heavybag.

Ultimately, experience and intent > technique, I think.

ground and pound.

real combat only needs a little technique and experience. i can teach people self defence in about 3 months... its quite simple. with a little knowlege and training, you can do it yourself. its all about overwhelming force. past that, your just covering all the bases.

for about 90 of all the fights ive seen, ive only had to use basic techniques and strikes. the other 10% the martial arts just helped. but having all the training makes things instinctive, which is where street fighters come into it. guys that havet trained a day in their life, but have fought some almighty battles. lol

against properly trained persons, they WOULD take a beating... the problem is, when trained persons think to much of themselves. the guys dred is on about... ive met 1 or 2, and their all up their own arse about their skill. plus they have the doorman complex that makes them think their godlike.

(there was 1 guy... cant remember his name. did wing chun, and i NEVER saw him without an injury. he was always telling everyone how skilled he was... despite the injurys. was just over my age... meh)

martial arts only play a small part in the street. combat arts are different, more brutal, and less complicated. takes a lot to know the difference though. plus the arts most of the guys trained in were crap for what we did.... karate, TQD, kick boxing, etc.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Every now and then we get a big, beefy newcomer to the dojo filled with enthusiasm and weetabix etc, and although they've not trained a day in their life, it certainly can be a mistake to underestimate them the first time you spar with them.

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:14 am

My kicks are horrible. We don't use kicking much in kempo jujustu. For the most part its all low kicks to the legs. One of our rules is no kicking unless he wont see it coming or is helpless to stop it. So for the most part it is quick front kicks to the back of the legs, sweeps, or foot stomps. We work mainly on working to the outside of people and taking their back. Then driving their face into the ground...thats when the jujutsu part comes in.
*edit* as for boxing as a selfdefense I'm not sure. It definately gets you into amazing shape and I would not enjoy fighting any decent boxer. Though to me it seems mostly as an exchange of blows, you punch me then I punch you, and who ever can take the most hits wins.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:55 am

Ah, well y'see, I was taken down by a boxer... He also knew his way around on the ground. He was small, but he was fast, and he was damned strong, and I'm honestly amazed he didn't do incredible damage to my head with his pumelling it. All I came away with is a brutal scar on my knee from where he tackled me and I scraped on the ground. ASide from that, the swelling went down, I stopped bleeding, lol. I didn't stand a chance against his speed. So to learn to punch like that, that fast, and that strong, I think would be a great help to me, before the fight goes to ground, at least. A lesser person, he probably would have KOd with that punch, if not killed (it hit me square in the temple), but I've got an incredibly durable head lol.

The being in good shape is of course also important. I'm a nice guy, I don't wanna be fighting people in the street, they could get hurt, I could get hurt. Like Miyagi sensei said, "Fighting not good, someone always get hurt." So being in superb shape would enable me to run for it lol.

I ask for opinions on boxing because although I like what I've heard and seen of it, I have no idea where a hall is, and being in my soft round shape, I'm reluctant to go coz it hurts like hell being hit in my stomach (it's where I inject my insulin, 8 times out of 10, so that makes it kinda tenderer than it should be as well), so if people who know more than me about it (ie, not just seen Rocky and Undisputed and think it's a good idea) tells me it could be useful, then I know the effort to find a gym is less likely to be wasted.

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:11 am

We have a kick boxing gym near my house and a friend checked it out. He said it was by far the hardest workout he has ever had in his life. Some of the exercises they did made him want to kill himself, lol.
Something bout jumping up on the side of the ring then back down fast over and over again and then running laps while carrying a guy on your back. Along with the other work outs then going into the sparring, I can see how that would be horrible.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 am

I trained for 4 years in kick/thai boxing 3 years of them was 5 nights a week and the last year of that was mainly teaching. It is an extremely intensive workout, by far the hardest i've done. I'd recommend it to anyone.

As for boxing, i do think its good in the street, but there are variables to consider.
Most boxers are ring boxers, not street boxers. If they punched you in a street fight, they'd have a good chance of breaking their hands on your face (they're too used to wraps and gloves.....Carl Froche told my mate this, as well as me experiencing it for myself). But i'd like to see the man that CAN take just one full-on punch in the swede from a good boxer and remain standing.
Having said that, they know nothing other than to punch, so they are very limited.
Kicking: i've used a very quick snap side kick plenty of times to the stomach or below and it has proved very effective, for reasons already stated; ie. distancing, hurting.
And as wtf said high kicks are suicidal. Plus you'd never deliver one in a crowded pub, if thats where the fight is. Not even sure groundwork would be practical here. So close quarter grappling and locking i think would work. Here, a boxer may come out winner, if he can get the shots in unanswered.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:54 pm

I guess the answer has been found for me, then...

Abercynon LEisure Centre, Thursday and Sunday, there's an MMA class. Wrestling, Ju Jitsu, and Muay Thai. Guess it's time I trot along and sweat on some people. lol

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”