Martial Arts

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

big_fella_andy

Martial Arts

Postby big_fella_andy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:17 pm

hey, want to start some kind of MA... ive had no experience with any before... and im 19... would u say im getting a bit too old to join?
and also. which type of MA would anyone recomend?
Thanks!
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/bigfellaandyuk.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:06 pm

You're never too old and at 19 you should be coming into your prime.
I can't advise you on which one,what suits one does not suit another and the availability of a good dojo is to be considered.
Good luck with whichever you may choose.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:20 pm

theys a place called "the Fitness club" near me.... and their ment to teach "martial arts" dont specify which ones though... and because its just a gym.... i dont see it as the kinda place which would be any good.
theys another place which teaches tai chi, which is owned by an asian bloke... not sure why, but i have more confidence in his training than the fitness clubs!
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/bigfellaandyuk.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:40 pm

moved to Fudoshin.

Tai chi is an excellent art to study andy. My friend is teaching me the short form and its really invigorating.

It really all depends on what you want from your art.
Fitness? The ability to defend yourself? A challenge? Something to occupy your time?

Narrow your list down, then post again m8, if you can. :D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:52 pm

Try everything.
"Can't kill a man without knowin' for sure you ought too..."

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 pm

ummm.... self defence.... but at a more hands on approach, ive seen some vids on jiu jitsu. and it looks pretty good. been told its a lot of ground work. where alkiedo is more about throws etc...
also been told tai chi is good. but ide prefer to focus on the MA side other than the healing side, although ide like to learn that too..
so im just juggeling between them 3 kinds really. any other ones which fit into the more "hands on" type of defence? i work a 45 hour week on nights... so time is scarce aswel! but i could change hours to fit my lifestyle

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:12 pm

Ninjutsu - Sounds right for you i think. Hands on self defence, various weapons and also some what you call 'Healing side' in the form of meditation.

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:14 pm

cheers, il have a look on google see if i can do some research into it :D

Stazbumpa

Postby Stazbumpa » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 am

Ju-Jitsu. Dead easy to learn and horribly effective in the pub. You don't need a lot of room for it to work y'see. Also, I like it coz I dont like punching peole.

Breaking their arm is much more effective.
Violence only begets violence?
Well allow me to retort.
Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead. That's right, dead. Not "on trial," not "re-educated," not "nurtured back into the bosom of love." Dead. D-E--Well, you get the idea.

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:17 am

i got some mpegs on my computer, their called Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
they go through basics sme intermediate stuff and advanced, it seems pretty cool. they show u each move like 6 times and talk you through it

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:19 am

big_fella_andy wrote:i got some mpegs on my computer, their called Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
they go through basics sme intermediate stuff and advanced, it seems pretty cool. they show u each move like 6 times and talk you through it

Gracie Jujitsu is classed as BJJ (Brazilian Jujitsu). It involves a hell of a lot of groundwork. Probably not for you at this stage andy
The Gracie family became infamous in the octagon (UFC) and developed their style of JJ for that type of combat.
As Stazbumpa says common or garden JJ can be very effective.
Aikido is a great art to study, i have been doing so for over a decade. Some debate the effectiveness of it, usually the ones that haven't really tried it though :roll: Aikijujitsu, again something i study, i suppose is an extra step, and involves many aikido, judo and jj elements, and is truly awesome, but there aint many dojos around that teach ajj. :S
Ninjitsu is great if you want to put yourself through the mill, combative, nasty, painful....heall yeahhhh !!! :D
Tai chi is a form of kung fu and is very very effective. It also does help focus chi so can help, especially if you have a stressful 45-hour working week. But takes a long time to learn.
Also maybe look at Wing Chun kung fu or lau gar. Both these styles usually offer effective martial arts practice and almost kickboxing-like combative elements.
Hope this lot helps a little.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm

thanks for that mate, its gave me a bit more in depth view of things :D. do you mind adding me on msn? its big_fella_andy@hotmail.com... would be handy for me 2 chat give me a bit more insight :D

ULTIMATE-BLADE-WARRIOR

Postby ULTIMATE-BLADE-WARRIOR » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:55 pm

sry if its a bit late but i'd say kung fu would b a good one to start (any style)
THE WARRIOR IS COMING, JOIN HIM OR DIE

Steve Ishikawa

Postby Steve Ishikawa » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:29 pm

I'd say Karate - Wada Ryu or Shotokan.

There very good and very common to find,

badboyace84

Postby badboyace84 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 pm

id say tai chi it has all the things you are looking for all the moves are martial (when speeded up a bit.) it also has many weapons forms spear, straight sword, broardsword, bo staff to name a few and it has alot of healing properties. it also doesn't take very long one learned the routine should take around 10 mins and should be done once awake and once before bed it also has a lot of philosophy involved if you would like to learn that aswell

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”