Martial Arts

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:19 pm

i get that theres loads of techniques, and im not asking for a list... i was asking for something to show us.... me just, even.... how much groundwork experience you have.

this is important because if you dont train groundwork, you simply cant talk about street applications.

so what sort of grappling training do you do? ground or standing?
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:24 pm

i think that we should not assume im some nutjob who thinks that im a tank on legs and that i let people hit me when i fight them

You did seem to infer that near the beginning, but I think it had a lot to do with how you explained things, and seemed to be putting emphasis on taking punches as some form of attack. I still don't think some of your ideas are brilliant, but there'll always be room for debate between fighting styles, and yes, I will agree there is at least the slightest chance your methods might work. ;)

darkphoton1

Postby darkphoton1 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 pm

wtf? wrote:this is important because if you dont train groundwork, you simply cant talk about street applications.
so what sort of grappling training do you do? ground or standing?

i train in grapples and locks in almsot every situation (mostly finger wrist and elbow from standing, in stance and on ground.) and you will find that soon you will be able to improvise. as i have mentioned before i dont live in a safe area, and my techniques talk for themselves when words wont do it.

EDIT:

Lexxorcist wrote: I will agree there is at least the slightest chance your methods might work. ;)

Victory!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:32 pm

darkphoton1 wrote:
EDIT:

Lexxorcist wrote: I will agree there is at least the slightest chance your methods might work. ;)

Victory!

Hey, don't get too excited. I'm willing to admit there's the slightest chance the '5 step death touch' might work also. 8) ;)

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:47 pm

so you work on the ground? mount, guard, half guard, top mount, side mount, knee on, all fours, scarf hold, clinch?
you drill shoots, sprawls, throws, takedowns, sacrifice throws, ground and pound, submisions, chokes, strangles?

this cover what you do? cus your answer didnt give much info, and only seemed to include standing and minor takedowns.

so you train with the things above?

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:01 pm

wtf? wrote:so you work on the ground? mount, guard, half guard, top mount, side mount, knee on, all fours, scarf hold, clinch?
you drill shoots, sprawls, throws, takedowns, sacrifice throws, ground and pound, submisions, chokes, strangles?

My training doesn't come close to covering all that. While some jiu jitsu is incorperated, I consider myself lucky that in fights i've had that have gone to the ground (and many do), my attackers were even less competent than me. There's no more helpless feeling than being tied up and held in a choke or submission. My son's wanting to take up something like ju jitsu after he reaches dan grades in karate. He's thinking of jiu jitsu as they have classes at our dojo. I'd be interested in any recommendations you can make for him wtf?

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:04 pm

Lexxorcist wrote: I'm willing to admit there's the slightest chance the '5 step death touch' might work also. 8) ;)

do you mean Pai Mei's five point palm exploding heart technique.....?

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm

HatchA wrote:
Lexxorcist wrote: I'm willing to admit there's the slightest chance the '5 step death touch' might work also. 8) ;)

do you mean Pai Mei's five point palm exploding heart technique.....?

That's the one.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 pm

lol thought that's what you meant also :)

I'd like to apologise to darkphoton for saying how I struggle to defend my loewr body and getting him to say something that sparked about six pages of this barrage on him, btw, lol. Interesting to read, though.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:17 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:
wtf? wrote:so you work on the ground? mount, guard, half guard, top mount, side mount, knee on, all fours, scarf hold, clinch?

My training doesn't come close to covering all that. While some jiu jitsu is incorperated, I consider myself lucky that in fights i've had that have gone to the ground (and many do), my attackers were even less competent than me. There's no more helpless feeling than being tied up and held in a choke or submission. My son's wanting to take up something like ju jitsu after he reaches dan grades in karate. He's thinking of jiu jitsu as they have classes at our dojo. I'd be interested in any recommendations you can make for him wtf?

ju-jutsu is usually a good starting block, but remember that dojo differ. ive sen ju-jutsu (JJ) thats almost completely standing, and some thats floor only. and even some pure aikido stuff.

for kids, its a lot of fun, as they usually get to play a lot. theres different ranges so they dont get bored, and they usually have some sort of randori (which is where the play comes in) and as a rule... JJ is usually really laid back (as apposed to some classes ive seen asociated with other arts, that are quite regimental, and include punishments for not doing something right... usually push-ups, etc)

so in a nutshell... JJ would be perfect.... as long as the instructor is good. but YOU can vet him (and im sure you will) anyway.

God i LOVE these things.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:23 pm

I prefer to avoid discussing what I can and can't do and the effectiveness of my techniques, because when push comes to shove, I've survived most fights iv'e had quite well, but when i think back to how i did it i don't recall any discernable technique there. I've no doubt for a moment that my training helped, but if my sensei had been watching i could imainge him tutting and shouting 'technique technique':@ lol. A lot of what i imagnine i'd do usually all goes to sh*t in a real fight situation.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:27 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:I prefer to avoid discussing what I can and can't do and the effectiveness of my techniques, because when push comes to shove, I've survived most fights iv'e had quite well, but when i think back to how i did it i don't recall any discernable technique there. I've no doubt for a moment that my training helped, but if my sensei had been watching i could imainge him tutting and shouting 'technique technique':@ lol. A lot of what i imagnine i'd do usually all goes to sh*t in a real fight situation.

yeah... happens a lot, you'll find that only about 10% of what you have learnt is actually at hand. but you'll also find that your muscle memory will take over and things fall into place, without your knowing it.
not sure if i did... but if i said anything about whats effective in your art, or not... didnt mean too... was just answering about your sons next possible art.

God i LOVE these things.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 pm

wtf? wrote:ju-jutsu is usually a good starting block, but remember that dojo differ. ive sen ju-jutsu (JJ) thats almost completely standing, and some thats floor only. and even some pure aikido stuff.

I found their website but it's not very informative regarding the Doncaster dojo. Can you decypher anything from this? http://www.gracie-barra.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=237&Itemid=71

It appears to be Brazillian Gracie style. From what I've seen of Royce Gracie, he prefers to be on the floor, if this is the same style he uses.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm

dont even need to open the link. its gracie barra. they love their groundwork, and they love their striking. its more ground orientated, but still a good art. its has about as much standing in it, as karate has groundwork... so should be a nice combo for cross training.

very hard trainers, as a rule though.... probally not in the kids class, mind. if i was about, ID go to that class. so take from that what you will. lol

God i LOVE these things.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:45 pm

The son I'm talking about is 19 now, so he should be ok.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”