Most effective martial arts in a Street fight

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Fair enough thats why I've just given you a gentle reminder about it :D

K@L@SH

Postby K@L@SH » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:03 pm

to naswer the question of the topic...running away screaming like a girl. first thing a person should be taught with any martial art, is not to use it, only use it if they have no other choice.
OMFG!!!! i actually got my gun yayness!!!!!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:18 pm

K@L@SH wrote:to naswer the question of the topic...running away screaming like a girl. first thing a person should be taught with any martial art, is not to use it, only use it if they have no other choice.

I've been taught only to use it in self defence or the defence of others. There's always the choice of standing there and getting hit, which doesn't appeal to me. A dignified retreat can sometimes be a good idea though - or talking your way out of it.
"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence."
10 points for the source of that quote. ;)

stYx

Postby stYx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:29 pm

Isnt from that the Art of War? Sun Tzu?

I always try to get out of something without fighting, im always alittle worried that things will go too far :P
ImageImage

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:42 pm

stYx wrote:Isnt from that the Art of War? Sun Tzu?

I always try to get out of something without fighting, im always alittle worried that things will go too far :P

Yes, Sun Tzu! 8)

One of the best feelings I've had in a (potential) fight situation was being confronted by 5 lads looking for a fight and watching them walk away after 5 minutes of them shouting threats and abuse and me staying calm. I'm more proud of that than any fight where blows were exchanged.

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:
stYx wrote:Isnt from that the Art of War? Sun Tzu?

Yes, Sun Tzu! 8)

One of the best feelings I've had in a (potential) fight situation was being confronted by 5 lads looking for a fight and watching them walk away after 5 minutes of them shouting threats and abuse and me staying calm. I'm more proud of that than any fight where blows were exchanged.

Ahaaa....then you were in fudoshin and they were in fushin.
The unfettered mind versus the frozen mind.

well done. :???:
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

darkphoton1

Postby darkphoton1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:43 pm

ive done shotkan karate for 6 years and ive seen some of the masters work thier magic and ill tell you once youve masterd shotokan you can improise situations in the street and this allows you to act in any situation. i find its very effective for street fighting and kumite.

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:01 pm

darkphoton1 wrote:ive done shotkan karate for 6 years and ive seen some of the masters work thier magic and ill tell you once youve masterd shotokan you can improise situations in the street and this allows you to act in any situation. i find its very effective for street fighting and kumite.

*ahem*.....err......ok then.

Anyone who has studied their chosen MA for 6 years will no doubt say the same thing mate. My son trained under Aiden Trimble between the ages of 5 and 7 1/2, shame he's quit karate now to play ice hockey.
Personally i feel karate to be the lesser of the better choices.......but its opinion.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:15 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:
darkphoton1 wrote:ive done shotkan karate for 6 years and ive seen some of the masters work thier magic and ill tell you once youve masterd shotokan you can improise situations in the street and this allows you to act in any situation. i find its very effective for street fighting and kumite.

*ahem*.....err......ok then.

Anyone who has studied their chosen MA for 6 years will no doubt say the same thing mate. My son trained under Aiden Trimble between the ages of 5 and 7 1/2, shame he's quit karate now to play ice hockey.
Personally i feel karate to be the lesser of the better choices.......but its opinion.

i agree with.... everything... Joe said.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

sprout

Postby sprout » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:09 pm

I thought it was the best thing ever too...till I tried REX KWON DO! Its 14 minute program will...

ahaha oh i had to stop... :???: street fighting indeed... :roll:
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm a Wado Ryu fanboy, and I love it but don't think it's the most effective martial art in every situation. It's a great club and we have a great sensei, and these days it seems you're lucky to find that whatever style you choose. Everyone should be loyal to their style and sensei, but not be too hurt when you're referred to as 'dribbling incompetants'. ;)

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:08 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:I'm a Wado Ryu fanboy, and I love it but don't think it's the most effective martial art in every situation. It's a great club and we have a great sensei, and these days it seems you're lucky to find that whatever style you choose. Everyone should be loyal to their style and sensei, but not be too hurt when you're referred to as 'dribbling incompetants'. ;)

well... actually... everyone should be loyal to their life. if an art doesnt cater, it doesnt cater. this is a thread about combat arts. and in this case. bad arts mean loosing pieces of you. so loyaty to an art for the sake of it is stupid... theres no room for loyalty, honour, respect, and such crap on the streets.

art, for arts sake, is different.... you can live without combat rules. and therefore.... keep the honour, etc. but for the streets, common sense rules, simplicity is key, and honour and other such things should be left at home with the dog food, and whatever else.

i love my instructors, and id never say a bad word against them... but if i thought for 1 second that i wasnt getting the full picture, you'd have a hard time keeping up with me, as i went searching for the real thing. but im talking combat arts.... not art, arts.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:45 pm

Well it's fair to say you shouldn't choose to train under an instructor you're not confident can teach you what you want to learn. That poses a problem of how to recognise a good club as a complete novice. I was introduced to mine nearly 20 years ago by an older friend who'd studied shotokan before moving to doncaster. He went round all the clubs within travelling distance and settled on this one. There were no shotokan clubs in the area, and in retrospect I'm pleased there wasn't.

I really couldn't say which martial art is best for street fighting, in fact I'm not convinced there is one. While I don't train just to defend myself in fights, it's proved effective in that area in the past. Is it the best? Probably not. :dunno:

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:Well it's fair to say you shouldn't choose to train under an instructor you're not confident can teach you what you want to learn. That poses a problem of how to recognise a good club as a complete novice. I was introduced to mine nearly 20 years ago by an older friend who'd studied shotokan before moving to doncaster. He went round all the clubs within travelling distance and settled on this one. There were no shotokan clubs in the area, and in retrospect I'm pleased there wasn't.

I really couldn't say which martial art is best for street fighting, in fact I'm not convinced there is one. While I don't train just to defend myself in fights, it's proved effective in that area in the past. Is it the best? Probably not. :dunno:

there isnt a best art, ecause all classes differ.

the only thing a potential student can do is ask questions... every question that passes his mind.

if something doesnt make sense, question it.

and how does he/she know if its the right answer... base it in common sense. if your thinking 'a jump spining backkick wont work on the street, or a bar, or an icy floor' but the instructor comes up with crap like 'it will cus i said it would' or 'were too good to fall over' then move on.

as long as an instructor can explian things in a way that makes sense to you, then your all set.

combat and reasons for training are different. this is a combat thread.... anything else is equally valid, and im fine with it... it just has no place here.

God i LOVE these things.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:13 pm

*Thinks back with fond memories at the 5th Dan TKD grading vid*
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”