Most effective martial arts in a Street fight

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:28 pm

The loyalty, honour, respect and 'such crap' are only for the dojo. It's not like you're expected to bow to an assailant in the street. Wado Ryu has some brutal and practical combat moves. I just wanted to clear that up before admitting I did indeed stray off topic... again. :leggit:

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:51 am

Lexxorcist wrote:The loyalty, honour, respect and 'such crap' are only for the dojo. It's not like you're expected to bow to an assailant in the street. Wado Ryu has some brutal and practical combat moves. I just wanted to clear that up before admitting I did indeed stray off topic... again. :leggit:

tis all good. thing with karate on the whole is that there IS good stuff there, but most cant decifer it from all the crap. problem with karate, and its a big hole... is that it restricts its techniques.

based on principles, ninjutsu is the best art. in principle it discounts nothing. but i doubt very much theres a good dojo out there. if there were, id be there, learning how to use concealed weapons... firearms included.

second, and for the same reason... ju-jutsu. systemata, and anything that doesnt discount anything.

the honour thing i was refering too was being confined to a system for the sake of outdated beliefs. but that only applies to combat arts. if its just for art sake... then i have no issue. i train most of my arts for that reason. only my ju-jutsu has combat "MY" rules applied to it.

so yeah... thats, that really. lol
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:35 am

I hope this isn't going off topic again, but I thought it might be of interest that Wado Ryu is actually a hybrid of karate and jujutsu. If I did have to chose a single best art for street fighting it probably would be jujitsu (though the jujitsu I've seen appears most effective against single opponent at a time). In theory at least, a combination of karate and jujitsu seems like a good forumla for combat. Here's how it came about.

On the surface Wado-ryu looks very similar to other styles such as Shotokan. However, there are some important differences.

It may be argued that Wado-ryu is a Jujutsu style rather than Okinawan Karate. When first registered with the Japanese Dai-Nippon-Butoku-Kai in 1938 the style was called Shinshu Wadoryu Karate-Jujutsu, a name which reflects the hybrid nature of Wado. Wado-ryu's founder Hironori Ohtsuka was already a licensed practitioner in Shindo Yoshin Ryu and Yoshin Koryu Jujutsu when he first met the Okinawan karate master Funakoshi. After having received tutelage of not only Funakoshi but later also the Okinawan masters Mabuni and Motobu, he set off to merge Shindo Yoshin Ryu with Okinawan Karate.

The result of Ohtsuka's efforts is Wado-ryu. While its techniques may be very much karate in looks, most of the underlying principles have been derived from Shindo Yoshin Ryu. A block in Wado may look much like a block in Shotokan, they are nevertheless performed from a completely different perspective. A Shotokan practitioner is likely to force an incoming fist out of the line of attack. A Wado expert, on the other hand, will rather move himself out of the line of attack while taking up a position that will gain him an advantage over the opponent. Both ways will look almost similar to the untrained eye, but couldn't be further apart when considering the tactics behind them. Key in Wado-ryu is the principle of taisabaki, often wrongly referred to as evasion. The Japanese term can be translated as body-management and refers to body manipulation so as to move the defender as well as the attacker out of harm's way. The way to achieve this is to move along rather than to move against. Or, harmony rather than strength.

Perhaps the nature of Wado is better understood when considering its Jujutsu origins. In 17th century Japan, a young physician departed on a journey to China. His name was Yoshitoki Akiyama. During his stay in China he learned Chinese healing methods as well as Chinese fighting techniques. After a while Akiyama returned to Japan and retreated in a monastery where he devoted himself to meditation. During those days he also practiced and perfected his technique. One snowy day during winter, Akiyama sat gazing at a willow tree. It suddenly occurred to him that the willow tree, unlike some other trees, didn't have any broken branches, despite the heavy snow. The willow branches simply yielded and allowed the snow to fall off. Sturdier trees with unyielding branches suffered much heavier from the elements of nature. After this revelation he developed 303 techniques which became known as Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu or Willow Heart Style. Yoshin Ryu later evolved into Wado-Ryu but the fundamental yielding principles have still been preserved.

If this is out of place here it can be deleted or moved elsewhere. Regardless of my personal reasons for favouring it (which are irrelevent here) I do think it has some merit in combat - moreso than some other karate styles.

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:57 am

Lexx......i agree there matey. I used to study wado-ryu, in fact it was my first MA.
BUT.....koryu (and actually combat practical) principles only tend to manifest themselves when the practitioner finally understands the concepts. Now this could be after 5 years of training.
Arts such as wado are very subtle and honestly DO have a deeper philosophy to learn.
If the practitioner doesn't understand/learn these deeper concepts, then they're basically learning shotokan with a slighter higher stance. If, however, they do embrace the deeper meanings, then i'm sure that particular practitioner would be very formidable on the street.

Wtf said that if you don't get what you want from an instructor, the move on. Thats fine, but Lexx said 'how do you know when you're a novice'. Both good points i think. Many a time i have internally questioned why i'm told to do a certain technique as it doesn't make sense to me. But i stick with it, and hey presto, 6 months later, the penny drops and my skill level develops because i followed the lead without question. Its often a tough judgement call. If i'm ever in doubt i ask as many colleagues as much as i can before approaching the sensei.
The reason im bleating on about this, is because apart from all the techniques you can employ on the street, possibly the most effective is 'instinct'. Trust it and it will show you what you have learned, be it on the street or in the dojo.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:16 am

Banzai Joe wrote:The reason im bleating on about this, is because apart from all the techniques you can employ on the street, possibly the most effective is 'instinct'. Trust it and it will show you what you have learned, be it on the street or in the dojo.

Moon wrote:Most effective martial arts in a Street fight ?
"Ain't no such animal" ....IMO.
Train as long and as hard as you like in any MA and it will stand you in good stead but when it comes to the "Real Deal",your preferred style,basic instinct and training will kick in,if you have self discilpine.

First reply to author of this thread. 8) 8) 8)

Thank fook I got summat right. :>
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:57 pm

Woohooooo.........we is like bruvva's :D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:07 pm

Oh don't be so modest Moon, I'm sure you've been right at least once before. :> ;)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:Oh don't be so modest Moon, I'm sure you've been right at least once before. :> ;)

Yep......he remembered his login credentials 8) 8)

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:Oh don't be so modest Moon, I'm sure you've been right at least once before. :> ;)

Of course I have..........but a clue would be helpful. :>
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”