split from - Most effective martial arts in a Street fight

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Musashi

Postby Musashi » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:40 pm

I enjoy debating too :D No worries, I think what you're saying is good stuff. I could chat to someone like you for hours. I think there's nothing better than a good chat about strategies and real life situations. Hence why I don't like kata's (oooh big debate coming on now) haha! No, I don't see the point of kata's apart from in an artistic way. A set routine is pointless in a real situation. Anyway, I'm going off topic now in our debate.

Yes you're very right about legalities. It's not a good idea to harm anyone. One to one I've found the restraint thing fine as they don't get hurt and for some strange reason (maybe because I'm female, I don't know) they calm down and leave. I suppose the walking away is less of an embarrassment of what might happen. Some of course don't 'think' though and unfortunately damage is done. As I follow my common sense, i don't find myself in dark places where no one is, so usually a fight will happen with witnesses. I do warn of being trained, and it always sounds soooooo stupid and riles them up even more, but it has to be said. So I've usually found that witnesses back me up. And like I said, I don't like to hurt, but I'll usually humiliate instead by giving them a helpful push or trip etc. The more they keep coming, the more humiliation. I think I'm lucky in the fact again being female that I don't tend to get male passer by's jumping in with their fists at me. As for the untrained women they won't do much but shout names or scratch or pull hair. I'm not into that so they'll just get pushed away and I walk away and get called names. So be it.

I think it's a very sad thing too that self defense is looked on as a crime now. But yes, when there's no witnesses, it is a case of he said she said. But of course, you can't choose where you're going to get jumped. That's why I think it's sensible to stay away from vulnerable places. And I do find it less aggressive up here in Lancashire than in Essex. And in Essex there never used to be this squeeling to the cops. What went on between you stays between you.

Anyway, I think there's a lot said for Jujitsu or Judo for a female, I would suggest a female practising either. We're taught very effective moves against rape situation etc.

Musashi
Self-importance is man's greatest enemy. What weakens him is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of his fellow men. Self-importance requires that one spend most of one's life offended by something or someone.

Loebas

Postby Loebas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Musashi wrote:I enjoy debating too :D No worries, I think what you're saying is good stuff. I could chat to someone like you for hours. I think there's nothing better than a good chat about strategies and real life situations. Hence why I don't like kata's (oooh big debate coming on now) haha! No, I don't see the point of kata's apart from in an artistic way. A set routine is pointless in a real situation. Anyway, I'm going off topic now in our debate.

Yes you're very right about legalities. It's not a good idea to harm anyone. One to one I've found the restraint thing fine as they don't get hurt and for some strange reason (maybe because I'm female, I don't know) they calm down and leave. I suppose the walking away is less of an embarrassment of what might happen. Some of course don't 'think' though and unfortunately damage is done. As I follow my common sense, i don't find myself in dark places where no one is, so usually a fight will happen with witnesses. I do warn of being trained, and it always sounds soooooo stupid and riles them up even more, but it has to be said. So I've usually found that witnesses back me up. And like I said, I don't like to hurt, but I'll usually humiliate instead by giving them a helpful push or trip etc. The more they keep coming, the more humiliation. I think I'm lucky in the fact again being female that I don't tend to get male passer by's jumping in with their fists at me. As for the untrained women they won't do much but shout names or scratch or pull hair. I'm not into that so they'll just get pushed away and I walk away and get called names. So be it.

I think it's a very sad thing too that self defense is looked on as a crime now. But yes, when there's no witnesses, it is a case of he said she said. But of course, you can't choose where you're going to get jumped. That's why I think it's sensible to stay away from vulnerable places. And I do find it less aggressive up here in Lancashire than in Essex. And in Essex there never used to be this squeeling to the cops. What went on between you stays between you.

Anyway, I think there's a lot said for Jujitsu or Judo for a female, I would suggest a female practising either. We're taught very effective moves against rape situation etc.

Musashi

As far as I know, kata's are used to get acquainted with certain techniques and strikes..
[i]Looking for mercy street...i]

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:03 am

I'm pretty lucky in that why I live is fairly quiet, so unless the wife and I go out for a drink somewhere then we're unlikely to get any hassle from anyone.

Last time I had a fight was 1996, that one was pretty much forced on me.

I was living in Bangor, N.wales and going to college there, sharing a house with some other students, one of which was a paranoid schizophrenic , he was like that cos of long term use of LSD and ecstasy.

Anyway one day I'm in my class, and see this guys face at the door, he barges into the classroom and starts mouthing off at me, not making any sense at all, so as he pushes the teacher outta the way and strides across the classroon towards where I was sat, the other students in the classroom just get up and move to the outer walls, it was like moses parting the sea.

So I get up outta my chair and this guy just starts raining punches down on my head, he's just swinging wildly really, so I ended up virtually on my kness, with my arms above me protecting my head, then I kinda notice that his groin is level with my eyes, So I reach up and grab his crotch, take a nice firm grip on his balls and give them a good squeeze,

I look up at his face to see his reaction, and the f*cker has'nt even blinked, f*ck me, If that had happened to me, I'd be on my ass crying like a baby.

So as I rise up, quickly, I deliver a uppercut to his chin, that knocks his head back, then I elbow him in the sternum and run outta the class.

Instead of running downstairs, I run into a neighbouring class, full of students, and to the surprise of the teacher and everyone else, I hide in one of the big metal cupboards, where they keep all the oscilliscopes and other stuff.

The druggy by this time has ran downstairs, then spent the better part of 20 minutes looking for me, before the police arrive to take him away.

I'm still hiding in the cupboard, until the police arrive to tell me they've nabbed him and its safe to come out...lol!

I probably could have shot that druggy and he would'nt have noticed.

Anyway... that was my last fight, back in 1996, I generally avoid confrontation at all costs, and can usually talk my way outta trouble, although my wife has a bloody nasty temper and has floored lads with a single punch in the past, so if she's with me, I know I'm safe...lol!

Good Idea! About the broken phone and wallet,
Been using a "decoy" wallet for years now, when I travel to the bigger cities, its got a about £3 in pocket change, some store and business cards and an old set of keys.
So if I ever get mugged, they get that, and I get away alive...

And if their not happy with that, then they can have a face full of metsubushi, (I knew them kinder surprise eggs would come in handy one day).

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:16 am

Musashi wrote: Hence why I don't like kata's (oooh big debate coming on now) haha! No, I don't see the point of kata's apart from in an artistic way. A set routine is pointless in a real situation.
Musashi

I enjoy kata, but even if I didin't I recognise the value and purpose of them. Performaing a kata in a real situation would be worse than pointless, but practicing them as part of a martial art is far from pointless. I'm not going to make a big debate on it, dismissing them is your choice, and in my opinion, your loss.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:16 am

Worked in Karate Kid 3 :p

Sorry, that's more a dig at KK 3 than to argue with you Lexx 8) A friend recently watched it and loved it except for the fight where Dan busts out some kata and wins the fight :p Can't say I blame the chap.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

stYx

Postby stYx » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:19 am

Hatamoto wrote:Worked in Karate Kid 3 :p

Sorry, that's more a dig at KK 3 than to argue with you Lexx 8) A friend recently watched it and loved it except for the fight where Dan busts out some kata and wins the fight :p Can't say I blame the chap.

You werent watching KK1 and 2 over the weekend were you? :P
ImageImage

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Watched Next karate Kid last night :p lol. But a friend watched KK3 the other night and said that part let the rest of the movie down, so it seemed apt to mention it :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Hehe, I actually thought of karate kid 3 as I posted that. :D

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”