Fencing

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Angelus

Fencing

Post by Angelus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:09 pm

Just had my first fencing lesson tonight and I have to say I'm impressed :D I know most people here are more interested in the japanese side of things but I tend to prefer western stuff so fencing really interested me. Got taken through the basics of moving back and forth tonight, and was shown a couple of attacks and parries and repostes (counters basically). Also a pretty good work out, coz of the all the pads you're wearing you build up a hell of a sweat. Currently sitting here with aching knees and a sore shoulder but in my opinion difinately worth it. I'll be going back next week. Anyone who's been thinking about taking it up should give it a try :D

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 pm

yeah, even though i love my kendo and iaido, i'd be interested in studying western fencing. My GF's son studies it at his school, which is also where i study iaido.

Sure, my interest lies mainly in JSA, but i'd consider myself pretty narrow-minded if i totally blanked the western sword arts.

Maybe one day.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:53 am

Give it a go mate, its good fun :D gotta get used to the weird way of holding the blade though, goes against everything I'm used to theres like a weird twisting to the wrist so the elbow through the blade is a straight line with your finger nails pointing up, uncomfortable to start with

Update:

Second lesson last night and had a sparing/training match with the instructor which was fantastic fun, got a much better sense of the parry-riposte system used :D

Anglachel

Post by Anglachel » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:17 pm

I have been doing fencing for several months now, i absolutely love it.

I took it up at the same time a i started Iaido, but i lost interest in that...fencing is just so much fun (not that i am criticising Iaido).

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:38 am

Yeah fencing is great, had another lesson last night, starting to get the hang of it all now, still not up to speed for sparring yet but learning new attacks and parries all the time :D

Adurul

Post by Adurul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:10 pm

I did fencing for 2 years at school. Was great.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:32 pm

Why did you stop?

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:28 pm

Adurul wrote:I did fencing for 2 years at school. Was great.
nah dude that was woodwork, different kind of fencing

Raziel_Reborn

Post by Raziel_Reborn » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:45 pm

i used to fence. for something on 7 to 10 years. it was alright. my only real problem with it was i got annoyed with all the fiddley little details. 'Fencing time' really got to me.
Apart from really rarely both fencers ALWAYS got hit in any point in any match. so inorder to sort out who's point it was fencing time was created, all dependant on who had there arm extended or where sombody's foot was.
i got annoyed with that side of things.

still you sound like your hooked. good luck with it, i hope you get better than i did.

Raziel

David13601

Post by David13601 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:14 am

fencing is real popular in korea for all the rich kids! that and horse back riding. and all the middle class people do kendo....

I know this is off topic but does China make boys of ages 5-12 do kung fu (non-optional)!

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Sat May 27, 2006 1:29 pm

I'm not sure about compulsary kung fu, but I know tai chi is very popular in china, and a lot of people there practice it casually to prepare for the day (like over here we drink coffee and read the papers). :D

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Big fan of fencing. Watched some on TV and it was boring as hell, actually had a fight with a guy who did fencing a while ago, though it was slightly cack coz we were using shinai (he didn't have his kit with him and I don't have any, so it was the safest way we could do it, although it took some realism away the technique was there), lot of fun. Also did some one handed fighting that could pass as fencing with a pair of foam bokken last year (those things were basically completely safe for soft contact), did a perfect reposte from a side attack with a low block and hit to the head. Quite chuffed, lot of fun. If I knew where fencing was taught in WAles I'd have a crack at it :/ But like most sword arts, it seems basically allergic to Wales :p Will have to look out for some when I'm in England next.