5th Dan Testing, TKD

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm

darksun_uk wrote:the guy on the far left at the start of the video is so stiff and obviously "overthinking" his movements that i was truly embarrassed to watch it, gives a truly shocking perspective onto the mcdojo fodder that is roaming the streets.......sad..

i dont blame the art so much as the money hungry dojo/federations etc

kind regards

problem is... most TQD is tought under the umbrella of a larege federation. and they simply dont give a toss about the quality of their students, or instructors. at the very LEAST, there should be someone checking to see whats being tought.

the people in that vid are crap... cant help that. but what they are showing is even worse. thats the instructors fault. theres not 1 technique in there that i would teach to a student.

theres principles, and movements id teach... but every technique on that vid has something fundamentally wrong with it. and the instructor should make sure that every student at that level is pristine in their technique.

i really dont know how to react to this vid.... laughter, or crying.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:07 am

wtf? wrote:and the instructor should make sure that every student at that level is pristine in their technique.

unless the instructor is also bad and sees nothing wrong with their technique, which is even scarier :|
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:21 am

darkhobo wrote:unless the instructor is also bad and sees nothing wrong with their technique, which is even scarier :|

I believe that was the point when.....

darksun_uk wrote:the guy on the far left at the start of the video is so stiff and obviously "overthinking" his movements that i was truly embarrassed to watch it, gives a truly shocking perspective onto the mcdojo fodder that is roaming the streets.......sad..

i dont blame the art so much as the money hungry dojo/federations etc

........you're both right...it is scary and sad...unfortunately imo.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:53 am

my old kickboxing instructor, who also taught tkd and shaolin dang lang fung fu......5th dan in each art he was.

He was an excellent exponent of each art, BUT, as he was trying to run a business, his arts suffered and was branded a cowboy around Nottingham. I used to be embarassed to tell people where i trained, cos of his reputation.
The sad thing is he really was good. He represented England in the World TKD championships in the 80's.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:01 am

Looks to me like the partners only went to the floor because they were being over helpful. I can't believe that's 5th dan grading. They might as well have taken up knitting. :roll:

darkphoton1

Postby darkphoton1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:24 pm

sprout wrote:yeh TKD is insanely fast grading, my mate reached black belt in about 2/3 years. gotta love the weapon defences in that vid, espcially the gun, since he is in the path of the barrel for about three counter attacks haha.

im sorry was that 2/3 of a year?

stYx

Postby stYx » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:25 pm

darkphoton1 wrote:
sprout wrote:yeh TKD is insanely fast grading, my mate reached black belt in about 2/3 years. gotta love the weapon defences in that vid, espcially the gun, since he is in the path of the barrel for about three counter attacks haha.

im sorry was that 2/3 of a year?

Think he meant 2-3 years!
ImageImage

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm not entirely sure that video is representative of the whole TKD community. I'm not a fan but my 12 year old son chose it because his best friend does it. Even he spotted the potentially fatal flaw with the gun, and laughed at appropriate times (most of the way through it). :roll:

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Hehe, good kid :)

It was obviously intended as a practical martial art in the days of Taekyon, but is it even possible for it to be a practical street effective martial art?
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:09 pm

Hatamoto wrote:It was obviously intended as a practical martial art in the days of Taekyon, but is it even possible for it to be a practical street effective martial art?

At my sons dojo they do teach them some practical self defence stuff, and some of it has quite impressed me. The students at his club don't fly through their grades the way they seem to at a lot of clubs either. I was reluctant to be impressed too, as I mocked him a bit for choosing TKD. So, I think it can be effective in real situations if you're taught to use it that way. You only have to watch that 5th dan grading clip so see how it can be totally bloody useless too. I imagine you could find laughable clips of dan gradings in other martial arts too, but TKD does seem to be the one that's gone most down the swanny. You could probably compare it to ninjitsu. It's not so much the art itself that's crap, as what it's often been reduced to.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 pm

I should really have known that... it's how a thing is taught, that makes it how practical... I thought aikijutsu was practical but the way I was "trained" was laughable, there was no intensity, or context there at all..

I'm surprised I asked, to be honest, lol

I'm sure we all know Afro Ninja. If you don't, google it :D I was talking to James earlier, and he told me apparently that was some guy's actual gradin g... I'm not sure about that, but goddamn... if it is... wow :|

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:35 pm

That's not the guy with the 'chucks is it?

Unleashed

Postby Unleashed » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:38 pm

Highway to... the dangerzone!

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:45 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:That's not the guy with the 'chucks is it?

Ze same!

Did anyone else find the soundtrack as inappropriate as the techniques?

WELCOME TO THE DANGERZONE! *nearly falls over from high kick*

And eye of the tiger goes with Rocky, and Rocky alone :p

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:47 pm

The thing that got me about that was the way he tried to continue. I'm not sure whether that showed spirit or was a symptom of head injury.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”