How not to use a Katana (and how to)...

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:33 pm

Aye, I know the weapons were improvised to fight off the git samurai, but you'd think they'd change the name or something once they decided to put something in the hand :p That's why I'm confused. "Empty hand until we put a weapon in it" or something
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

maciek1230

Postby maciek1230 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:10 pm

ROFL.

Videos:

1. The guy properly executed only shomen giri, i think, coz the kesa had wrong foot.
2. LOL - teatric cfighting.
3. OMFG that kid, never laughed so hard.
4. Well that apple thing wasnt really impressive.
5. That was just plain stupid.
6. That looked like broot force to me.
7. Another sword noob(kid type).
8.Amateurs.

This is my opinion.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:15 pm

maciek1230 wrote:ROFL.

Videos:

1. The guy properly executed only shomen giri, i think, coz the kesa had wrong foot.
2. LOL - teatric cfighting.
3. OMFG that kid, never laughed so hard.
4. Well that apple thing wasnt really impressive.
5. That was just plain stupid.
6. That looked like broot force to me.
7. Another sword noob(kid type).
8.Amateurs.

This is my opinion.

It ain't opinion if it's correct lol. I can't remember all of them anyway, but the apple thing and the broot force ones, yeah, were definitely sh*te.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:16 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Aye, I know the weapons were improvised to fight off the git samurai, but you'd think they'd change the name or something once they decided to put something in the hand :p That's why I'm confused. "Empty hand until we put a weapon in it" or something

Empty hand isn't the same as unarmed. I suppose the real reason they didn't change the name is because karate itself was empty handed, and still is in a way, the weapons were more of an add-on. The reason I point out the difference between empty hand and unarmed is that a lot of students trained hard with makiwara, compressing the bones of their hands and causing the knuckles of their index and middle finger to enlarge, thus making their hands themselves into weapons. Like built-in knuckle dusters.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:20 pm

That's..... friggin weird :|

Got AIM? :P MSN is clearly not working out. lol

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Mas Oyama: I wouldn't want to be on the business end of those dannys. :|

"A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered."
~Mas Oyama~

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Oni no Tengu wrote:
Lastly a video that proves the Katana was the best blade ever forged.

alll that proves is that the water jet wont cut 60 rockwell hardend steel nothing more, please refrain from posting opinion as fact.

kind regards

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Its my opinion so anyone can just choose to take it as that.

Anyway...I thought you would be being giving your insight to the origin of the Sai, since you seem pretty knowledgeable about its use!

My understanding of the origins of the Sai, is that it originated after the Japanese Jutte, which resembles a Sai even though it only has one prong and the Sai has 2.

It just seems too much of a coincidence that Okinawans invented a weapon or changed the use of a farming implement into something that so much resembles a Jutte.
from wiki...
"The design is said to have been derived from the Okinawan sai, although some assert that the jitte existed first, and influenced the design of the sai".

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:25 pm

I've never been able to find anything conclusive on the sais origins, though it's possible that two similar weapons could have originated seperatly. The prong/s makes it capable of defending against a sword (or staff), so it's a practical design anywhere long bladed weapons are used.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:56 am

Try http://www.rkagb.com/ and click on weapons (left hand side) - a brief description of the majority of weapons used in the Ryukyu Islands (Okinawa).

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm

That looks like another site saying because there was something similar in China first, the Okinawan sai must come from China. It's quite possible, but I've not been able to find this 'proof' they speak of yet. It's not inconeivable that two quite similar weapons had seperate origins.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm

I agree, but this dojo has a strong lineage of teachers (Motokatsu Inoue etc) and I'd like to think that the correct teachings have been handed down over the years.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:58 pm

Scott wrote:I agree, but this dojo has a strong lineage of teachers (Motokatsu Inoue etc) and I'd like to think that the correct teachings have been handed down over the years.

That's fair enough, but they claim there's proof, and I'd like to see it. I've never been able to find anything conclusive.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:10 pm

Drop the RKAGB sensei (Julian Mead 6dan) a line and ask him - he may have more to share.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:27 pm

Records from China prove its original existence although in a much more elongated form

That's what it says on the site, but to me, that only proves they had a similar but much longer weapon in China first. They also had the jutte in China first, but that isn't proof they didn't have seperate origins. I can't find anything about the knowledge being passed down by a strong lineage of 'teachers', which would be persuasive hearsay. I'm open minded about it, and would be very interested in proof either way, if any exists.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”