Choosing The Right Martial Art

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

..:: Geoff ::..

Choosing The Right Martial Art

Postby ..:: Geoff ::.. » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Hey all, I'm Geoff. It's a pleasure to speak with you all.

Well.. I've been looking for something to do in the holidays as I'm bored stiff. I'm 15 years of age and live in Nottingham, England. I went to this community centre called Harvey Haddon in Nottingham today as I signed up to use the facilities like the Gym to workout and for fitness. What also appealed to me is they do Martial Arts but I don't know which one is best for me. I'm determined, have a good work ethic and can grasp things pretty well. I've been wanting to do a Martial Art for some time now as I think it would give me stimulation and something to do in the long term. The community centre offers Martial Arts like Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate and Kickboxing which I think are all good Martial Arts. I was watching some students through a window who looked like they were performing their Shotokan Karate movements in front of their Sensei's in order to get their next grading. There were a bunch of girls and boys who I was very impressed with who's disclipline and speed was second-to-none.

All comments are welcome as I await to make this important decision. ^^;
Last edited by ..:: Geoff ::.. on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:24 pm

A regular member and Mod' who lives in Nottingham and is an avid martial artist is "Banzai Joe",I'm sure he'll be more than helpful.

Welcome to the Forum. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:21 pm

*takes loudhaler from Moon and bows deeply*

Hi Geoff, I work round the corner from Harvey Haddon, and on tuesday eve's train in aiki jujitsu (blend of many other arts including jujitsu, judo, karate, some sword and jo work) across the road from HH.

At 15, you're possibly too young to study AJJ, but if its something you think you may be interested in, come along and watch......

My son studied shotokan and national tournaments are held at HH i think in September, FYI.

Oh.....welcome to the boards fella. :D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Unleashed

Postby Unleashed » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:29 pm

You know the thing I like most about Geoff? He's a literate 15 year old. I was beginning to despair of humanity, but you've just given me hope - well done lad. :D

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:30 pm

Unleashed wrote:You know the thing I like most about Geoff? He's a literate 15 year old. I was beginning to despair of humanity, but you've just given me hope - well done lad. :D

Seconded :D Welcome to the boards mate, enjoy your stay :D

sprout

Postby sprout » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Hello, why not try them all? :D

Try not to hurt anybody (H)
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:25 pm

The place where I did aikijujitsu, 15 was the cut off age between junior and senior student.

What kind of thing do you like the sound of? Why do you wanna do martial arts? I think the answer to that second question will help you find an art that will suit you :)

Edit: I would also like to say it's wonderful to meet somebody who can spell, it's very rare, especially among teens. Most adults I have on MSN struggle with the tough words like "you" and the like.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Postby ..:: Geoff ::.. » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:26 pm

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for not getting to reply to your wonderful responses earlier. I've been a bit busy lately. ^^; Secondly, I'd like to thank you for all of the awesome responses and for making me at home here. I appreciate it. A Martial Artist in Nottingham? =OO I don't see many Martial Artists around Nottingham so it's my pleasure to meet you Joe. You work across the road from Harvey Haddon? Wow.. Interesting. ^^; Next time I go down there which will probably be tomorrow I'll drop in and say hey. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try one of the Martial Arts I listed above as I'm going to see what Tae Kwon Do is like tomorrow. My brother told me it's mostly based on kicks so it'll be interesting to watch that. Why do I want to do Martial Arts? I feel as though it'd keep me fit and give me something to do throughout my life. Not only that but I want to learn Martial Arts for self-defense purposes too should a problem arise on the streets ect. You know what Nottingham is like right, Joe? :D

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:42 pm

as a self defence, TQD is pretty lacking. its (generally) a sport art. meaning that points come before combat effectiveness. if you just want fun, and keep fit.. then its perfect... but for self defence, you may need to add to, or modify what you learn.

if your looking for combat information, id be happy to give idea's and info.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Postby ..:: Geoff ::.. » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:18 am

Aye. I've heard that Tae Kwon Do is more of a sport too. I've had a strong interest for Chinese Martial Arts for some time with me being a big fan of successful Martial Artists such as Bruce Lee and Jet Li. It's just so hard to find a local community centre or an Academy of some sort that does Chinese Martial Arts. I mean, I've been lookin' for some time now and I can't seem to find a place to learn it. What do you guys think is a good self-defense art to learn?

Oh and thank you for the replies thus far. I appreciate it. :D

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:59 am

best art is a funny thing... theres not really such a thing.

while TQD is a sport art on the whole, there are some places that teach TQD on a combat level, so its down the the instructor really.

im personalt biased towards ju-jutsu. i think its THE combat art if tought right. past that wing chun is pretty decent, brazilian JJ can be good, and things like krav magda, etc can hold their own.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

sprout

Postby sprout » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:03 am

As an art to learn self defence? Anything that teaches you realism, and what self defense is, and what its not (fighting). Not just important are the styles, but the intructor and teaching. S'why I suggets trying all the ones you want (as far as i know, a few places let you try out a lesson for free, or just watch) to get a feel for the art(s).

Good luck :D

wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:10 am

When I was doing tae kwon do, there were occasional throws involved, too. Likewise, in karate, there was some groundwork!

It's true, you shouldn't think "ah, it's a karate dojo, I wanna learn groundwork, that's not suitable for me", go in anyway, and talk with the sensei, find out exactly what he teaches, tell him you want the full range of self defence, groundwork, grapples as well as strikes, etc, and ask if he teaches it at all. If you're looking for that, and the answer is no, then move on.

If you're after something for the sake of exercise, then that's far less important, and something like tae kwon do would be ideal, because you get to spar, and stuff.

My friend is crosstraining in tae kwon do for the exercise, and ninjitsu for the sword techniques and self defence aspects. IF that's an option for you, it's always a good idea to go separate if you have to.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:26 pm

Goeff....... personally i wouldn't get too hung up on the intracacies that we're all advising on at the mo. Most of us have developed what we have learned through experience of what works and doesn;t work for us.

If you want to try TKD, go for it. Maybe you'll love it for a couple of years. Then you may find that you need something else to provide you with something that you're lacking in your training. I think thats how we all learn.

If aiki ju jitsu does interest you, then we train at the church hall behind the precinct (opposite HH).

dedblud@hotmail.com if you want more info.

:D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:54 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:If aiki ju jitsu does interest you, then we train at the church hall behind the precinct (opposite HH).

dedblud at hotmail.com if you want more info.

:D

aiki-jutsu would be a very good starting art. for combat/self defence is holds some very sound idea's. if you stick with it, it would be a very fun art in itself... if you leave it, you'll have some valuble training.

well worth a look, in my opinion. even if its only just sitting on the sidelines, and watching the instructor.

God i LOVE these things.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”