which MA for me?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:16 pm

I've only ever been to ninjitsu once. One guy had a PAul Chen Ninjato with him, but other than that, no ninjato in sight, when we did the sword work it was using bokkens, and was based on using a sword to lock a person up, rather than drawing it and fighting. You'd draw it out a little to lock his arm behind his back, for example.

But yeah, just in defence of the ninjitsu I knw of (like I say, only one lesson, lasting about two hours or three), doesn't strike me as chop socky stuff.

But again, depends how you're trained.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:26 pm

i will try and find prices for these. i will go with either aikido or wing chun now.

thanks for the help

daven

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:42 pm

if your young, i would highly suggest aikido as your first art. it gives you a very good base to progress to other arts. we have a guy with us now... Darren, he was a 2nd dan in aikido when he came to us. picked up everything at a phenominal speed. while, on the other hand the wing chun guys were a little harder to train. they didnt seem to grasp the principle of ju-jutsu so readly... well, they did, but couldnt quite grasp the movements as well as the idea's.

also... for those who think 'i cant do it' for some reason (which is the normal barrier for new starters) Darren has only 1 arm. 1 arm, a 2nd dan in aikido, and a 1st kyu in kempo goshin ju-jutsu... so yes you can do it. lol
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

sprout

Postby sprout » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:07 pm

couldnt quite grasp the movements as well as the idea's.

Thats cos you're taught not to grab in wing chun ;)
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 pm

sprout wrote:
couldnt quite grasp the movements as well as the idea's.

Thats cos you're taught not to grab in wing chun ;)

fair point. nor bite, scratch, and other stuff im informed. but saying that... nor are you in aikido. i think its cus ju-jutsu and aikido are so similar. one being formed from the idea's of another. while wing chun, and ju-jutsu are products of different countries.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:49 pm

Diff countries I would think had nothing to do with it. The movements are fairly similar in that both jujitsu and aikido utilise joint locks and throws, so it would be less alien to go from one to the other.

Though with one arm... Did he lose an arm after the aikido or during? :| Can't see how somebody could master an art that needs both arms if they don't have said both :s
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:59 pm

My experience of swordwork in Ninjutsu is that is splits into 2 sections.

One is using the sword as an extension of your unarmed training, whereby you do blocks and locks with it, the other is more 'traditional' sword on sword work. The training of both of these makes use of iaito and bokken.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Diff countries I would think had nothing to do with it. The movements are fairly similar in that both jujitsu and aikido utilise joint locks and throws, so it would be less alien to go from one to the other.

Though with one arm... Did he lose an arm after the aikido or during? :| Can't see how somebody could master an art that needs both arms if they don't have said both :s

lost his arm before he joined aikido, and obviously you DONT need both arms to be able to gain such a grade. lol
he's more than capable... and technically its 1, and a half arms. his left arm is gone from the elbow down... that stump has lost all its feeling, and hits like a sledgehammer. his locks are also tigher as well.

God i LOVE these things.

sprout

Postby sprout » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:11 pm

If anyone is interested somewhere I've got a video of a quadraplegic jiu jitsu competition. Well more accurately its one able bodied guy vs a quadraplegic. It is really good viewing, and quite amazing what he can do. If its not proof you can still do MA with less only one arm, I dont know what is.

wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm

i'll watch it...post it, or msn it.

God i LOVE these things.

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:23 pm

If you could post it that would be nice, I'm curious to see it also.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:30 pm

wtf? wrote:lost his arm before he joined aikido, and obviously you DONT need both arms to be able to gain such a grade. lol
he's more than capable... and technically its 1, and a half arms. his left arm is gone from the elbow down... that stump has lost all its feeling, and hits like a sledgehammer. his locks are also tigher as well.

Total respect and admiration for him dude.
We have a one-armed ex-marine training with us in aiki-jujitsu and iaido. It teaches us all a hell of a lot ie; how to grab/attack him, how to defend if we were him etc..... its really invaluable and certainly not as big a limitation as people may think.
By the way, he is also on the UK para-olympic archery team, and competed in Athens in 2004.

Like wtf says about his friends stump, our guys stump is nasty when it gets thrust into your windpipe. :S
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:By the way, he is also on the UK para-olympic archery team, and competed in Athens in 2004.

When I used to go shooting there was a woman from the para-olympics archery team who practiced with her longbow there. I'm not sure what her disability was, but she walked like she may have false legs.

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:31 pm

Frodocious wrote:My experience of swordwork in Ninjutsu is that is splits into 2 sections.

One is using the sword as an extension of your unarmed training, whereby you do blocks and locks with it, the other is more 'traditional' sword on sword work. The training of both of these makes use of iaito and bokken.

Woah a face not seen in quite a long time :D
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am

Kamui wrote:
Frodocious wrote:My experience of swordwork in Ninjutsu is that is splits into 2 sections.

Woah a face not seen in quite a long time :D

I've been lurking around, I just haven't been posting regularly. 8)
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”