which MA for me?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

daven1986

which MA for me?

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi guys, I am interested in learning a MA. I did a term of wing chun but didnt like the teacher. I am looking for one that is good for self defence. Also would be interested if it included some sword use.

Now im not very flexible so wing chun suited me, are there any other MAs out there that I should look into?

I have been looking at Aikido but have been told it takes a while to pick it up. However it does look like a good MA.

thanks

daven

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:05 pm

I can't think of any self-defence that includes using swords, but if you're looking for something that doesn't take ages to get good results, and you want to avoid high kicks etc, how about jujitsu?

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:09 pm

i havent though of that, i will have a look. im not against high kicks just not sure if i can perform them.

how does this compare to aikido?

thanks

daven

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:17 pm

If you're looking for something practical and purely for self-defence, you don't need high kicks so I wouldn't worry about that. Jujitsu is more about chokes, grappling, arm locks, that kind of thing. wtf? is probably the best person to ask about it here. I don't know enough about aikido to make comparisons.

Unleashed

Postby Unleashed » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:30 pm

If you want some decent self defence then do Muay Thai. It is seriously the most effective MA ever. I don't do it personally, but I've been to enough shoot fights to realise that nothing I've ever seen comes close to it. It's seriously lethal!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Isn't there a difference between muay thai and shootfighting? I thought muay thai was all striking (fists, feet, knees and elbows), and shootfighting was a MMA including striking and grappling. Or is 'shoot fights' a term for something else too? *confused*

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Yep, Muay Thai is veeery different from shootfighting. The latter is more akin to Brazilian Juju or wrestling (to a degree).

I concur - try and find some good jujutsu.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:03 pm

The place I did aikijutsu with was jujitsu with some sword stuff (not sure whether to call it kenjutsu or if it would come under aikijutsu also.)

What makes an art effective though is how you train and how you use it. Jujitsu is arguably the most effective martial art, but I was trained crap in it, so it would be useless for me to try to se it on the street coz we didn't train for realism, there was no intensity. By the same token, something like tae kwon do, commonly accepted as a sport, could be used to lethal effect if it was trained to be used as such.

As for high kicks, you're not expected to be Van Damme from lesson one, it's built up over the duration of training. You do of course get some lucky buggers who are naturally flexible, but it's built up.

Aikido is more passive than things like jujitsu, it's more about redirecting an opponent's energy and often results in a throw, rather than putting the person down and hurting them. This is my personal favourite martial art because I don't like hurting people, I just don't wanna be hurt. I think it can also be used effectively if you train enough. Regarding it being difficult to get into, if you train with spirit, and work at it, you'll find yourself picking up the basics quite nicely by the end of your first lesson :) What I like about aikido is ultimately there are only somemthing like a dozen techniques, you merely train to use them from different positions (shoulder grabs, wrist grabs, and strikes, etc etc).

Thing about aikido is you have to learn to roll, which can be a rough time until you get the hang of it, and the locks are painful until you gain flexibility in your wrists and shoulders. But it's a lot of fun. The only downside to it really is there's no ground work, so you wouldn't really cover your bases for full self defence.

However, you can cross train :) Aikido, muay thai, and jujitsu, or similar combination, would see you through.

If you want proper self defence with a mixture of these, MMA might be the way to go. Check out http://www.hill-tribes.co.uk to find a place near you. They cover wrestling, jujitsu, and muay thai, if I remember rightly.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Unleashed

Postby Unleashed » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:04 pm

Sorry - my mistake. :oops:
By shootfighting I meant open comps, where any MA is allowed to enter. I apologise - wrong terms.

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:43 pm

my opinions.....

combat arts/self defence arts...
ju-jutsu - all encompassing (hopefully) my personal favourate.
thai boxing - very good stand up, needs groundwork added (ju-jutsu)
wing chun - good with minor mods, standing art. needs groundwork added
jeet kune do - average all round.
krav maga - pretty much the same as ju-jutsu. usually more brutal.
judo - good standing to floor, needs strikes added (thai boxing)

usefull arts...
aikido - good principles.
escrima - good batton art, and usefull all round. but ultimately a weapons art.
kenjutsu - usefull for body movement, but a weapons art. (a dead one at that)
kendo - same, but less combat orientated.
iaido - useless art for combat. but good esoteric principles.
other weapon arts - all have something, but not usefull unless holding a weapon

useless arts...
tae quan do
most karate (uh oh)
kick boxing
99% of all kung fu
anything with the words "panther" "dragon" "ultimate" "tiger" or "steve crowther" in the title... especially if linked to the crap arts... IE... panther kickboxing, dragon TQD, or "ultimate tiger kung fu".... (or kensei kai)

theres always eceptions... apart from the words ultimate, and the name steve crowther... never join a club that has the word ultimate in its title, or has a guy that goes by the above name.... even if they promise you super panther powers, that could kill a dragon-tiger.... which i guess is a drager, or a tigon.... meh.

any questions? 8)

but no... seriously... any questions?
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:47 pm

wtf? wrote:useless arts...

"steve crowther"
Outstanding... :D

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:54 pm

wtf? wrote:useless arts...
tae quan do
most karate (uh oh)
kick boxing
99% of all kung fu

At least you said most. :D

escrima - good batton art, and usefull all round. but ultimately a weapons art.

I'd really like a go at this. When I get an extra night to myself I can do this in Doncaster (assuming the website I looked at is up to date).

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:57 pm

lexx

yeah... thought i best add 'most' and escrima is a wicked fun art, from what ive seen. theres a place near me, but i havent got the time with everything else.... give it a go, tell us how it went.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:03 pm

i have the bruce lee training video for JKD so i will give that a look, however there arent any clubs near me for that. will try and find a jujitsu club, but i do know of a wing chun one.

hmm this will require some thought.

thanks

daven

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:13 pm

daven1986 wrote:i have the bruce lee training video for JKD so i will give that a look, however there arent any clubs near me for that. will try and find a jujitsu club, but i do know of a wing chun one.

JKD is a philosphy and set of ideas rather than a martial art. Watch the DVD though by all means (I have a copy myself). Bruce's JKD seems to be highly thought of by many martial artists. It's respected by most people at my karate dojo.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”