which MA for me?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:18 pm

Daven, whereabouts are you?

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm

wtf? wrote:Any questions?

Who's Steve Crowther?

*sniggers* Sorry :$
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:22 pm

best thing to do is go and have a look around, try different styles, what suits one person might not suit you, i agree with wtf about the names, i train TKD most of the time, we get such a bad reputation, yes i have seen the testing video and to be honest i have seen a lot worse (best example i can think of is in the states calling 5-6 year olf black belts, as well as a guy breaking his leg on a half inch board, due to VERY bad technique) theres many types and styles withing TKD, you got ITF (international taekwondo federation) whats semi contact and WTF (world taekwondo federation) whats full contact, there is always over laps at certain competitions where you get ITF fighters entering WTF comps, usually ends in a big bloody mess in the middle of the mat. needless to say there are flaws in the style i do, i am more open about it than others who say its amazing and we are the best, 90% of the TKD people cant punch and if you punch them they cry about it, theres also become a devision in the art where you find schools saying SPORTS TKD these people are purely about sparring, there are the martial arts ones that dont spar at all. i train with a VERY mixed class, you name it we got it (everything apart from a big hall lol) i myself have done judo, karate, some kick boxing and some aikido; we have some escrima fighters loads of wingchung as we often have a master coming to teach us, as well as having kick boxers and thai boxers.

best thing i can advise is go to a club and see, if they are asking for huge sums of money they are more than likely in it purely for that and dont give a S*** about your training and will give you a black belt, thats why you find so many black belts.

Why does it always come down to money??? :S

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Scott wrote:Daven, whereabouts are you?

south london.

what do you guys think about training from videos and books with friends?

thanks

daven

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:15 pm

what do you guys think about training from videos and books with friends?

*takes a VERY deep breath*
.....ah, sod it
.....watch me and darksun fight like girlies over it.....

http://forum.blades-uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9761

any questions after that lot, and im sure we'll accomodate.

*edit*
also this.....
http://forum.blades-uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=14709
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:24 pm

thanks, you have been muchly helpful :)

i see the point to the aliveness training. but i think it'll be good to use a video to get the moves if i cant find a club.

thanks

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:34 pm

it wont, because (quite simply) a video cant correct you, and tell you where you went wrong.

and if your a beginer... you WILL screw up. its nothing personal but you will... probally badly. we all have. lol

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:37 pm

daven1986 wrote:what do you guys think about training from videos and books with friends?

I think it's an absolute last resort. The effort of getting to a dojo will pay off. :)

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:42 pm

daven1986 wrote:what do you guys think about training from videos and books with friends?

*EDIT lexx's post*
I think it's an absolute last resort. The effort of getting to a dojo will pay off.......... in absolute droves

God i LOVE these things.

daven1986

Postby daven1986 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:58 pm

ok, i will see howmuch wing chun costs. then i think i'll take it up again :)

thanks for all your help guys

daven

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:08 am

I take kempo jujutsu which is pretty well rounded. Kempo being chinese boxing (more body movement then the word boxing seems to imply. A lot of open handed striking and repositioning) and jujutsu obvioulsy being the takedowns/chokes/grappling. I also study escrima and it is tons of fun. Not as practical obviously, although I do normally have my escrima sticks in my car with me.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:25 am

If you're interested in aikido, then as others have said, give it a shot. Your initial concerns about it taking some time to get into are partially correct. But its still down the individual.
Aikido does make use of the bokken, but to a far cruder extent than say iaido or kendo.
Aikijutistu is very good imho. In fact after 11 years of aikido, i switched to aikijujitsu and have been studying that for the past 2.5 years.

Good luck with whatever you do, but try something lomg enough to form a decent opinion of it.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 am

Banzai Joe wrote:Your initial concerns about it taking some time to get into are partially correct. But its still down the individual.

That applies to more or less anything, doesn't it? :) Don't be put off one art by something that is nigh certain to apply to another, right?

Does anybody think enjoyment is a big part of a class? I mean the art itself is what I go for, but if I don't enjoy the class on some level, I find it difficult to commit to it. Do I have my priorities wrong, should I just grin and bear it and smackdown the blonde who keeps barking orders? lol
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:45 am

If you want good self defense and sword work then I would recommend Ninjutsu. However, you really need to make sure you find a reputable instructor as there are a lot of frauds out there.

I think there are a couple of groups in and around London and I will try to find out contact details for them if you are interested.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Frodocious wrote:If you want good self defense and sword work then I would recommend Ninjutsu. However, you really need to make sure you find a reputable instructor as there are a lot of frauds out there.

:|

My understanding was that he wanted something traditional with swordwork, not chop socky stuff.

Personally i wouldn't recommend ninjutsu for swordwork, ninja-to is different to studying swordwork with a katana, and i think thats what he's after, unless i'm mistaken of course.

Don't get me wrong i'm not dissing ninjutsu, i studied it intently for one year prior to joining the marines and loved every minute of it. But after studying various other MA's and looking back......i'm glad i chose a different path.

edit: although i would say that due to its ever evolving modernistic nature, ninjutsu may be one of those arts thats easier to pick up than most other 'traditional' MA's.. fwiw :D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”