Some thoughts on getting hit, and advice needed

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Hatamoto

Some thoughts on getting hit, and advice needed

Postby Hatamoto » Sat May 26, 2007 3:03 pm

The age old issue of I would imagine any martial artist. Take it like a b*tch, or take it like a man. Me, I'm lucky for either. Well, depends on your definition of lucky. Though not all luck is good, of course. Basically I've had a few proud moments doing ninjutsu where I've managed to stand there, arms at side, on one milestone, clasped calmly behind my back, while a friend has charged in with what to me felt like a freight train of an open palm strike to my breastplate. It hurt for half a week afterward. I'm also flinching less with the strikes to the neck, which I'm chuffed with.

However, there have been a good few humiliating, shamefully weak moments where somebody's demonstrating a technique, brought up his hand to strike the neck, chest, or leg, anything, and I've flinched away from it. One of these people was the sensei, who of course would not exert damaging force to me, a mere newb of three months (this particular example was about three weeks ago) where I've felt like, frankly, a total pussy :p

It's not about looking hard. I think it's about guts, the courage to take the blow, and the trust that the other person isn't going to damage you. But my issue is with developing this.

I know there are martial artists here in various martial arts that involve strikes, I'm thinking ninjutsu and karate particularly here, but I'm looking for advice from anybody.

As it is I try to take it, and use peer pressure to not succumb to the pain :p Think to myself, "I've paid for this class, I want to get better, get through this stuff, I'm not injured, and I'll get used to it." but sometimes that reaction, the urge to flinch, is too much, and I feel like an ass.

Anybody got any advice to help me avoid flinching? Of course it's a good reaction to have to flinch, but to train you have to see it from both sides, and it's better to respond than to merely react, I read somewhere. I need to override that reaction in order to be a better training partner, and I think a better martial artist.

Any help much appreciated.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Sun May 27, 2007 5:50 pm

It's hard to really give advice for that kinda thing other than "Take it like a man!" Dunno, you really just need to get in the mind set - psych yourself up if need be. Possibly think of it as each strike you take is a lesson and with each lesson you improve so you should be eager to learn.

Scott

Re: Some thoughts on getting hit, and advice needed

Postby Scott » Tue May 29, 2007 10:13 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Anybody got any advice to help me avoid flinching?
Yes - learn more counterattacks. This may sound obvious, but as you get more experienced and confident, you'll see opportunity in their attack, not your own injury.

Lucius Vorenus

Postby Lucius Vorenus » Tue May 29, 2007 11:29 pm

for me.......Determinaton & Perserveance in the art that your LEARNING and confidence & selfbelief, which will increase the more you LEARN And within 12 short months you will have the answers to your own questions moto
"RALLY TO ME"

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed May 30, 2007 3:32 am

Ninja = endurance.

Thing is it's peer pressure that's getting me through right now :p I don't wanna be seen as weak, so I summon something, sometimes at least, to let me stand there and take it. Sometimes.

Ultimately it'll come, I half know (there are always doubts, of course), I was just hoping some karateka could give me some words on his mentality when he spars, or whatever, that might help me out.

karatelee

Postby karatelee » Wed May 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Ninja = endurance.

Thing is it's peer pressure that's getting me through right now :p I don't wanna be seen as weak, so I summon something, sometimes at least, to let me stand there and take it. Sometimes.

Ultimately it'll come, I half know (there are always doubts, of course), I was just hoping some karateka could give me some words on his mentality when he spars, or whatever, that might help me out.

im here lol no but seriously i think as lucius v. says its about learning and the confidence that really your not going to die when training with a partner (hopefully not any way).
when i spar and if i get hit, i see it as part of the learning process.
the more you think about it the more your going to get hit or flinch so just relax and go with the flow.
also in the dojo you shouldn't really be afraid of making a fool of yourself either, everone there is there to learn and probably went through the same thing as you are now. so just train hard and youll eventually get used to it.

(i hope this helps and makes sense lol) :mrgreen:
mess with the best, die like the rest.....hoorahh

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Funny thing re: me getting hit.

Running through some basic locks and the like last night. There's one from a lapel grab where you break the balance, strike them in the face or whatever to distract them, then put them in the arm lock.

My friend for some reason didn't expect me to lose balance, so gave it some extra oomph. Turns out this pulled me in closer than he expected. Slammed my in the right side of my face with the strike he'd planned to pull just short.

Felt like my face had been scooped out, but it didn't hurt at all.

Funny, though :D

Barry the Time Sprout

Postby Barry the Time Sprout » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:38 am

that oficially means your atr double-hard, congrats :D

Barry the Time Sprout

Postby Barry the Time Sprout » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:39 am

Barry the Time Sprout wrote:that oficially means your are double-hard, congrats :D

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:47 am

For me, its more or less fear of getting hit that allows me to stand there and take a hit...if that makes any sense.
If my sensei is demonstrating on me (which he likes to do because I'm a little bigger then the average guy) flinching could end up painful for either or both of us. He wouldn't appreciate me moving away while he is using me, which is more or less a privilage, and so I would probly be punished slightly after, with a solid blow to the chest. The demontration strike/move normally will hurt less. :D
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 am

hi there,
getting hit....its a tough area to get to grips with.....
Bruce Lee in his Tao of Jeet Kune Do stated thoughts exponenting the fact that without getting hit, the person cannot react instinctually or with self awareness. Simply because in a dojo, where the punches stop an inch away from impact, or the throws are placed rather than exeuctued you are learning a sterilised technique....and the shock of "real" combat and getting hit will ruin your technique for practical use.

In todays martial society however it is rare to find a school that will advocate "full contact". The arguments both for and against are wise.....of course it is foolish to expect a student starting out on their chosen martial path to take a full punch with pleasure or with the insight to think that it will help in the long run. equally it is foolish to presume martial technique learnt in a purely sterile environment will be of use when presented with a real and painful situation.

My martial background has shown me several sides of the argument. Ive had several black eyes in "no contact" sparring....ive had a dislocated hip in full contact competition...broken fingers from medieval swords...and even an arrow through my arm from a supposedly "blunt" arrow during a re-enactment..a few cuts from practicing Iaido...and spent several foolish hours with "live" rapiers trying to obtain schlager scarring...(the end result of which was a rapier in my forearm and a trip to casualty)

taking a blow is perceptive and an entirely personal experience. Some people will take punishment with the view that it will enlighten their technique and skills...some will fold at the slightest hint of contact. Mostly it comes down to one thing...TRUST!

i have two very very close friends whom i regulary fight with. usually sword/shield or rapier....we grew up together and have been fighting for close to 15 years....but even so accidents do happen...and occasionally very painful accidents...but they are taken....why? simply because we trust each other to know that the blow was not deliberately there to hurt us....and that any regret at the accident is genuine.....after all play with any kind of physical art form will result in injury at some point along your path!

learning not to flinch at a threat or a blow is about two things...trust and self awareness.....never forget flinching isnt a negative..its your bodies perception of danger..an instictual reaction to remove your body from a given threat.
Through training you can learn to control that instinct...through self awareness of your own skill you can start to control it and react with it. Through trust..in yourself and your sparring partner/s....you can learn to take steps towards full contact techniques that you are sure about and feel comfortable with.

if i spar against someone i have never fought before i am aware that i know nothing of their skill level..therefore a "flinch" reaction is harder to control.....one of my most memorable first re-enactment encounters was against a viking warrior with a huge dane axe and round shield....at the time i favoured two swords.....he had never ever fought against such a technique before..and his instinct was simply to hit me as hard as possible because thats all he could do....the moment got to him....it got to me too... but more painfully because he broke my finger! he explained afterwards that it was simply fear...he had never encountered a warrior using twin weapons....his instinct told him to put me down hard..and his skill suffered because of it....the end result was not acceptable....

a good teacher will know his/her pupils and will be able to guide them through contact tecniques..possibly splitting the class between those that would like a "harder" lesson and those that are simply learning the skill and have no wish for contact.....both ways are acceptable.

sorry for being long winded but i hope ive given you an insight that might help you out

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”