Required Reading?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

kirisute

Required Reading?

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:11 pm

i dont know how well read many of you guys are...but i know my walls are fast becoming overburdened with books on my chosen subjects....
so i thought it mkight be nice to share knowledge of what we all think might be required reading for us enthuisasts.....
here are a few of mine:

Lure the Tiger from the Mountains~ Gao Yuan....might be unavailable now..but this book lists the 36 ancient strategems of chinese warfare. used alot by businessmen these days...its a superb read if you can find a copy. Full of philosophy and ancient wisdom!

The Hagakure~ Yamamoto Tsunetomo...written by a former retainer of Mitsushige....this is literally the way to be a samurai..how to behave, how to act, how to think...how to follow bushido....a superb read for those that are interested in the era and a fantastic insight into the way of the samurai.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do~Bruce Lee.....im sorry but this is one of my heros....his writings and his teachings are a superb

Matt Easton

Postby Matt Easton » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Il Fior di Battaglia by Fiore dei Liberi, circa 1410:
http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/fiore/

Matt
Schola Gladiatoria

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 pm

one i couldnt add to the list because i couldnt recall all the details at work today! LOL

Japanese swords by Nobuo Ogasawara..published by Hoikusha: showing a range of swords from national treasures to important art and cultural objects, plus background information on forging and component names/measures its a superb little "pocket book".....might be tough to find now though...i was lucky enough to find it in a bookshop in Cambridge....though amazon have a range of Hoikusha books...so it might show up there if your lucky.....

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”