Nunchuck v.s. Baton/Tonfa

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Which is better for combat

Nunchucks
56%
Baton/Tonfa
44%

Total votes: 27

War Lord

Nunchuck v.s. Baton/Tonfa

Post by War Lord » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:17 pm

Which one do people consider better for combat?

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:22 pm

Nunchuku purely because its an impact and whipping weapon, whilst being able to block. Furthermore, it can be implimented at high speed whereas tonfa requires alot more movement of the arm to strike juxtaposed to just using the wrist which is required to flick out the nunchuku.

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:38 pm

Maybe the police should start carrying nunchucks instead of telescopic batons.

Darkaiser

Post by Darkaiser » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:16 am

Why not just have the screw together nunchucks?
Then you can have both in one.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:02 am

War Lord wrote:Maybe the police should start carrying nunchucks instead of telescopic batons.

This rings a bell, I remember hearing in the states something about the police force trying these sorts of weapons. ill go find out.

PyRo`

Post by PyRo` » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:15 pm

War Lord wrote:Maybe the police should start carrying nunchucks instead of telescopic batons.

I can imagine lots of people complaining about human rights, nunchucks are alot more powerfull than a baton so there's more risk to the person they're being used on which the european court of human rights and hippies wouldn't be happy about :roll:
/me stops going before he begins ranting about how criminals have more rights than everybody else

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:16 pm

That must be an interesting sight,i wonder how they train?
Do they do martial arts training?Or police force in house training?

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:53 pm

Yeah police do train in martial arts especially the french police, whom can recieve training in Savate (French kickboxing) and Ju-Jitsu. Both these arts are great on the street.

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:01 pm

Jiu-Jistu is good but all the training is done standing and waiting for a set attack,there is no sparing or real kind of combat.Both people stand infront of each other and perform the same move from usually a standard orthodox punch.No one attacks in real real life,the way they teach to defend in Jitsu.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:58 pm

i was refering more to brazilian ju-jitsu were the groundfighting is second to none. I.E learning how to exploit guard positions and lock an oppenent.

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:14 pm

I think that Brazilian Jitsu,judo,and western boxing would make a good style if combined.I think an 18st boxer would be pretty unstoppable,no matter what is attempted on them.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:04 pm

It is combined in Jeet Kune Do.

P Sims

Post by P Sims » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:35 am

I have a set of tonfa and they r deadly! Thought i wud punch my door with it, mistake! Dont get me wrong nunchuckas r very good but with tonfa u have greater protection I think, jus my opinion.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:00 pm

IMHO Debatable,

On one hand the Tonfa give you forearm protection on to block with one hand and attack with the other, however, against an oponent wielding nunchuku its very difficult as the chucks can attack and recoil far faster than a tonfa man can zone in to strike and retreat whilst blocking.

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:34 pm

I have to agree i think that properly used nunchucks would be very hard to defend against.