Nunchuck v.s. Baton/Tonfa

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Which is better for combat

Nunchucks
56%
Baton/Tonfa
44%

Total votes: 27

Havock

Post by Havock » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:54 am

baton's.

much easier to use for the untrained person.

EVERYBODY kan use them.

though i still think that the police force should be equipped with morning stars

Lord David the Denied

Post by Lord David the Denied » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:55 am

Or swords... :cool:

Satori

Post by Satori » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:05 am

If policemen carried swords then that would be my chosen career! :twisted:
It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand

-Yagyu Munenori-

Lord David the Denied

Post by Lord David the Denied » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:41 pm

Mine too. If only I could see properly, I could have been a pig... :?

Desova

Post by Desova » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:09 pm

telescopic batons are more than enough for police dealing with most call outs since they tend not to be fighting martial art experts, and the batons can reach 30mph if swung at a decent force, which should give anybody a dull one :) and defensively they seem better.

they really should carry more though, but if that happens then people* might start carrying more to defend themselves from the police, and the whole thing escalates

*the people that do that deserve to be shot on site.

Havock

Post by Havock » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:39 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:Mine too. If only I could see properly, I could have been a pig... :?

laser 'em.

Lord David the Denied

Post by Lord David the Denied » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:50 pm

I would, but for a few reasons...

1. I can't afford it.

2. It's not guaranteed to fix the problem, and it's not always permanent.

3. The TA won't take me if I have laser surgery.

4. Neither will the Police!

Thus, I have concluded that laser eye surgery is not for me... :cool:

JPY

Post by JPY » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:01 am

Darkaiser wrote:Why not just have the screw together nunchucks?
Then you can have both in one.

Got one myself

Hide a Chuck :-D

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:51 am

flails are harder to defend against, but also a very hard weapon to master. the main problem with them is that they are mainly useless inside their striking range, they need momentum, and space to accumulate power. while the batton produces less power, it is generared in a much smaller ark. also, the batton has much more application for submissions, locks, throws and pressure points. and its also a easyer weapon to learn.

its also extremely easy to improvise a batton.

as to the point earlyer about ju-jutsu waiting for set attacks, nothing could be further from the truth. its mostly trained that way to show various techniques, but the combat itself is meant to be fluid. its broken down into set attacks to show technique, and a proper ju-jutsu ryu should "spar" i have seen many arts claim to be ju-jutsu arts, i have only seen 3 in my life that actually are.

Knappster

Post by Knappster » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:04 pm

It would be cool if you could choose your weapon as a police officer?

I would choose the nunchaku or a bo staff, as batons simply don't have enough hitting power. It should only take one strike to disarm/knockout (thats all thats needed, and is normally defined as reasonable force :twisted: ) an opponent but with a baton this is very hard to do at long range and with the power that nunckaku and a staff can deal.

Nunckaku are quicker that you think. It takes very little time to perform a quick and precise strike. Don't forget nunckaku are nothing more that 2 batons strung together, lol i put my mate in a rather amusing lock with the nun's, took him ages to get outta it.
Rehearsed routines lack the fexibility to adapt!!!

JoeFlitton

Post by JoeFlitton » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:07 pm

I rarely see the appeal of Nuns. I've never trained in them, but never had the intentiion to want to. Seems to be a lot of effort for no much return.

Saying that, I'm more the straightforward take em down quick and hard (quiet Cyber) sort of man, being the size I am I don't have much choice. A Baton seems straightfoward to me.

Knappster

Post by Knappster » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:27 pm

Trust me, learning the nun's is alot easier than it looks. Took me less than a hour to learn the most basic strikes and they strike alot harder than a baton, one hit knockout RAAARRRRR!!!
Rehearsed routines lack the fexibility to adapt!!!

Raindog951

Post by Raindog951 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:38 pm

Totally agree. I got a set years ago, and within 20 mins had mastered 3 or 4 devastating moves. One of them can hit an opponent from start to finish in less than half a second (from resting to resting).
The impact is also much harder than baton. I've got a side handled carbon fibre baton, and you need a good swing to hit hard. I reckon at least 2 seconds....in that time someone could've hit me 2 or 3 times and knocked me cold with nunchuks.

Slash

Post by Slash » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:02 pm

well i do agree nuns are way superior and v deadly :tumbsup:

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:06 pm

striking times for a weapon like that wouldnt take anywhere near 2 seconds. the difference is only fractional! it seems faster becuase the movement is smaller. as for mastering striking techniques in a few minutes. i dont think you quite get it.

i could master a few punches in 10 mins, but i wouldnt call myself a boxer! it HAS got more striking power, but try regaining that power after the strike has landed. after completing a powerfull strike, the weapons become useless untill they have their momentum back. that takes lot of skill to deliver constant, hard strikes!