Nunchuck v.s. Baton/Tonfa

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Which is better for combat

Nunchucks
56%
Baton/Tonfa
44%

Total votes: 27

Raindog951

Post by Raindog951 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:28 pm

I was talking about full force hits using the baton. Sure, you could do a short strike, quickly, using the baton, but it wouldn't have the power of the nunchuck strike, which would be delivered as quick or quicker.
It depends on how you practice with the weapon of your choice as to how realistic the result is. If you practice with nunchucks on a punchbag you can quickly speed up the return times and deflection reactions.
Also I'd debate about not being able to use the nunchucks within a certain range. There are techniques where you can use the nunchucks nose to nose with an opponant.
Also, you can secrete a set of nunchucks far easier than a baton, unless it's telescopic, and the best weapon is the one you have on your person.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:37 pm

Raindog951 wrote: Also, you can secrete a set of nunchucks far easier than a baton, unless it's telescopic, and the best weapon is the one you have on your person.

:shocked: they coming out your ass?

Slash

Post by Slash » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:50 pm

lol but hes got a point then again i though we were tlk about the police having them so therefore they would not need to secreat them

Raindog951

Post by Raindog951 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:22 am

Mr Monk, how did you know about my special carry method?? It's good, but I walk a bit strangely at times..... :?:

Knappster

Post by Knappster » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:04 am

A friend and I practised with jab pads and see how many realistic hits can be delivered with the nunchaku and a baton. Using the nun's first, a standard underarm flick and over arm strike, you can get about 4 hits in before your opponent even gets close it you. And due to the power of the strikes only 2 would really be needed to disarm and subdew the opponent. This is very useful in a multiple opponent situation, but they don't defend well against a opponent armed with a baton or other jo/bo weapons.

The baton was able to deliver more strikes and was very useful to disarm using locks and graps. The strikes were not as powerful as the nun's but it clearly has more uses in graps and hand techniques.

I would love you see a combination of the two, a long handled pair of nunchaku. Giving you the fexibility to use both styles of fighting.

I must try the screw lock nun's to see how fast you can change between weapon modes.

Slash

Post by Slash » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:35 am

hehe could b a good idea make a nice prototype and sel it to the police for some nice cash (only if the idea works tho)

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:20 am

Knappster wrote:A friend and I practised with jab pads and see how many realistic hits can be delivered with the nunchaku and a baton. Using the nun's first, a standard underarm flick and over arm strike, you can get about 4 hits in before your opponent even gets close it you. And due to the power of the strikes only 2 would really be needed to disarm and subdew the opponent. This is very useful in a multiple opponent situation, but they don't defend well against a opponent armed with a baton or other jo/bo weapons.

The baton was able to deliver more strikes and was very useful to disarm using locks and graps. The strikes were not as powerful as the nun's but it clearly has more uses in graps and hand techniques.

I would love you see a combination of the two, a long handled pair of nunchaku. Giving you the fexibility to use both styles of fighting.

I must try the screw lock nun's to see how fast you can change between weapon modes.

those sort of weapons exist and are a pole with another piece of wood on a metal chain at the end, its a shaolin weapon and isnt very common.

MJL

Post by MJL » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:31 am

Knappster wrote:A friend and I practised with jab pads and see how many realistic hits can be delivered with the nunchaku and a baton. Using the nun's first, a standard underarm flick and over arm strike, you can get about 4 hits in before your opponent even gets close it you. And due to the power of the strikes only 2 would really be needed to disarm and subdew the opponent. This is very useful in a multiple opponent situation, but they don't defend well against a opponent armed with a baton or other jo/bo weapons.

Forget the hook and jab pads - put some headgear on and try again. If you're doing it right the sticks will hit far harder than a nun - nuns sound good when you hit a pad, but you lose a good deal of real power in the rebound slack of the chain.

Ask any good kali, escrima or arnis guy and they'll all be able to demonstrate why the weapon of choice is the stick.

Raindog951

Post by Raindog951 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm

When it comes to speed and power Escrima is superb. You just have to look at good escrima practitioners going at it to know that hardly anything can defend against the onslaught.
I'd still go for nunchucks against my heavy side baton, but other batons and weapons could well be lighter and quicker. Escrima's awe inspiring though.... :???:

JoeFlitton

Post by JoeFlitton » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book/net source for Nunckuk use?

Everytime I pick them up I end up hitting myself in the head/groin (even before I start swining them) so I think I need some advice on how to use it.

Even If I never did a martial art with 'em, learning a few techniques might improve my hand eye/ hand to hand co-ordination and it give me a feel for weapons, somthing which I have yet tro experience.

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 pm

theres a thread here with a lot of good stuff

regards

darksun_uk[/url]

JoeFlitton

Post by JoeFlitton » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:48 pm

cheers

Knappster

Post by Knappster » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:52 pm

I might make some small webcam vids to demonstrate some basic nunckaku training exercises and usage, if ya can't find anything on the web. Or just watch loads of films with nunckaku in em and take some pointers.

Adurul

Post by Adurul » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:04 pm

Apparantly one of the best ways to get a grip of the nunchacku is to watch bruce lee movies with the sound turned off.

Raindog951

Post by Raindog951 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:21 pm

And in slow motion Tom! He was soooo quick.... 8)
Particularly good is Enter the Dragon (be sure to get the uncensored version).