A 'young-un' looking for some advice

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Shadowkin

A 'young-un' looking for some advice

Postby Shadowkin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 pm

hi guys, im only 16 years of age as of yet but im so interested in martial arts
i weigh 10 stone-ish- and im 5 foot 11. im a skinny lad :) but im the one of the strongest in my year group at school and probably the best fighter...that probably sounded very big headed, sorry.
anyways im looking to do some kind of martial arts and i justed wanted some advice about which youd recommend with advantages and disadvantages.
i love styles like wing chun, praying mantis and tiger because they look so cool and are very effective when learned to a high degree but im not sure if there are any of those in nottingham where i live plus i get quite disheartened if i dont see results pretty quickly (us young people eh?). ive not odne much tbh, i went to muay thai lessons for a while as well as some MMA lessons, these were ok but i bit boring :|

what do you think would be a good combo, wingchun for standing in fighting with some judo thrown in for the grappling? maybe muay that and BJJ?

P.S. i also want to know of a few different sword arts that i could maybe learn to improve my mastery of weaponry, id like to do something effective and not just for sport like fencing

thanks for any ideas guys

the blade master

Re: A 'young-un' looking for some advice

Postby the blade master » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm

patience grasshopper every thing comes to he who waits to get a better idea of whats around check
out fudochin dojo section also moon is the guy to listen to when he turns up listen to what he says as
he will stear you in the direction you need.
regards mick
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun May 01, 2011 1:03 am

If you are easily bored and consider yourself as strong and a good fighter, no Martial Art is for you right now because the first requirements are patience and humility.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Shadowkin

Postby Shadowkin » Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 am

Moon wrote:If you are easily bored and consider yourself as strong and a good fighter, no Martial Art is for you right now because the first requirements are patience and humility.

dammit id thought you might say something like that :)
its not that i think im a good fighter, i know that anyone with a couple weeks training in anything (except karate) would beat me up
i just meant that im naturally able no arrogance intended sifu :oops:
and i get bored if we are constantly doing katas or something which is why i left karate, i like boxing and wing chun since you often get to spar (chi sau in wingchun)

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 am

Moon wrote:If you are easily bored and consider yourself as strong and a good fighter, no Martial Art is for you right now because the first requirements are patience and humility.

i was thinking along the same lines myself moon just not sure
how to say it.
shadowkin learn patience it will produce the results you need
belive me and if you want to take up one of the martial arts
it will make it that much more enjoyable/rewarding.
mick
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Tue May 24, 2011 5:57 am

Hi shadowkin you answered your question, boxing/kickboxing lots of sparring and the fitness training is second to none ;)
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”