What type of Jiu-Jitsu is better?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

What Style is Better?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
23%
Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
77%

Total votes: 13

War Lord

What type of Jiu-Jitsu is better?

Post by War Lord » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:44 pm

What is better in everyones opinion?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Japanese?
Brazilian deals more with ground fighting and wrestling.
Japanese does more throws and weapon defenses,such as Knives,bottles,bats,and swords.

Cybermoose

Re: What type of Jiu-Jitsu is better?

Post by Cybermoose » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:49 pm

War Lord wrote:What is better in everyones opinion?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Japanese?
Brazilian deals more with ground fighting and wrestling.
Japanese does more throws and weapon defenses,such as Knives,bottles,bats,and swords.

I say the Japanese one... fair fights are un-heard of, and id sooner have a defense again knives, bottles etc!

War Lord

Post by War Lord » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:55 pm

I agree,and also it isn't very practical to be fighting on the floor in a street fight,leaving yourself open to attack from the attackers friends.

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:46 am

Maybe this is bias as I'm a practitioner of Ju-Jutsu but the original Japanese art is better. BJJ deals more with ground work and as War Lord said it's not the best idea to go throwing yourself onto the ground and grappling as your opponent could have friends with him. The Japanese style is better rounded with throws, locks, breaks, atemi, defense from weapons and how to deal with more then one opponent as well as what BJJ is composed of, namely takedowns, chokes and strangles.

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:57 pm

As a practioner of BJJ within Jeet Kune Do i would agree as BJJ does have alot on focusing on holds and doesnt really have much stand up apart from shooting in and grappling.

Tahlequah

Post by Tahlequah » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:33 pm

Japanese Jujutsu (and that is the correct current romanization) varies a lot, so you'd really need to be more specific to ask such a question. Additionally, BJJ is of japanese in origin, and doesnt contain anything thats technically outside the realm of judo, which Kano distilled from several major ryu.

Also, a lot of fights go to ground anyway, so if you assume thats going to happen, and train for it you have the upper hand, not that i'd particularly like to be there, but you dont always get a choice....

Martial_Monk

Post by Martial_Monk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:22 pm

So really, try both to experiance which is best for you. :tumbsup:

Slash

Post by Slash » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:50 pm

agreed id look into it more on sites and stuff then decide