No wonder Tae Kwan do gets a bad name...

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

JoeFlitton

No wonder Tae Kwan do gets a bad name...

Post by JoeFlitton » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:29 pm

Just been watching the olympics and it suprised me how different the olympic rules are to what we learn and practice in our club.

I dont no the actual rules - but are they not allowed to use thier hands - at all? The Spannish guy got a warning for pushing back the Korean. Over extravagent kicks that usually end up with the attacker falling over...

If this is all people see of TKD, no wonder it gets a bad name among martial arts circles

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:40 pm

I noticed that too, it looks so farcicle in the Olympics - yet these guys are meant to be the best of the best?
Although I'm not a fan of TKD anyway, this really does make it look silly and really puts it down.

JoeFlitton

Post by JoeFlitton » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:58 pm

Thats always the thing with the olympics - they dont nessecery have to be the best of the best - they only need to be the best of the best at what they do :P

Added to the fact that it just looks boring..they stand off bouncing at each other for 2 mnituies - then jump at each other and fall over :P

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:43 pm

*neck on chopping block* yeah....TKD sucks anyhow! Lol...ok im joking, but i do have my reservations about it.

My friend was 1992 english, scottish, welsh lightweight champion in his weight category. He was 2nd dan, yet he'd never been taught how to leg sweep, cos they don't do it in competition. What kind of defensive art is this???!!! I swept his leg, he hit the deck and was concussed.

Now, i admit, not all tkd is like this, but oh my god, so many focus purely on competition sparring to strict rules that they would get butchered in the street if they used the limited knowldege they possess.

2 penneth ends here.....

Akira

Post by Akira » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:18 pm

Hmmm i spotted the TKD on the olympics and it was such a joke.
I do TKD and enjoy it and think its a very good and stylish art with a good selection of moves that look and preform well.

On the olympics however it seems that they have to minutes to see who can kick each other in the bum the fastest and hardest.
I didnt see any good or high kicks, any good blocking, any hand strikes whatsoever... Overall it was a complete mockery of the art.

106th_Ctiger

You guys have it wrong.

Post by 106th_Ctiger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:54 am

Tae kwon do is basicaly my whole life and you guys have it completely wrong.

You see the Tae kwon do in the olympics is not meant as a means of defense... Olympic tae kwon do is the "World Tae Kwon Do Federation" or WTF which is a sport version. The self defense version the one I do is the "International Tae Kwon Do Federation" or the ITF.

In the ITF the rules are LARGELY different and it is a lot more self defense orientated. ITF is the true tae kwon do. you see when tae kwon do first came about in 1955 the founder General choi hong hi 1918-2002 taught it the ITF way in south korea however they took what he taught and changed it to there own way ie the sport WTF way :-o which is WORTHLESS for street defense, General Choi went to North korea and started teaching again but this time nobody ripped off his art and the way he tought it there spread over to many countries creating the ITF just as the SPORT WTF did.

In the ITF as part of the gradeing criteria we even have to do street defense ie if some1 charges at you or grabs u from behind or tries to slash u with a knife etc... etc... etc... this is known throughout as "Ho Sin Sul" Although it changes depending on where you train some instructors teach different things but its generaly orientated arounf the same principle i.e Get them to the ground as fast as possible by any means and finish them off before a full fight starts.

Azeroth_Storm

Post by Azeroth_Storm » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:45 am

It would appear that any "art" that becomes a "sport" gets diluted.
Some more than others.
Shame really.
But necessary in some cases.
In this case, perhaps, its gone way too far.
Regards
Storm

Banzai Joe

Re: You guys have it wrong.

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:59 pm

106th_Ctiger wrote:Tae kwon do is basicaly my whole life and you guys have it completely wrong.

You see the Tae kwon do in the olympics is not meant as a means of defense... Olympic tae kwon do is the "World Tae Kwon Do Federation" or WTF which is a sport version. The self defense version the one I do is the "International Tae Kwon Do Federation" or the ITF.

In the ITF the rules are LARGELY different and it is a lot more self defense orientated. ITF is the true tae kwon do. you see when tae kwon do first came about in 1955 the founder General choi hong hi 1918-2002 taught it the ITF way in south korea however they took what he taught and changed it to there own way ie the sport WTF way :-o which is WORTHLESS for street defense, General Choi went to North korea and started teaching again but this time nobody ripped off his art and the way he tought it there spread over to many countries creating the ITF just as the SPORT WTF did.
We didn't get it wrong. We were discussing the crap we saw at the olympics. However i did mention my experience of it (see my last post). And my friend was actually part of the ITF.
106th_Ctiger wrote:In the ITF as part of the gradeing criteria we even have to do street defense ie if some1 charges at you or grabs u from behind or tries to slash u with a knife etc... etc... etc... this is known throughout as "Ho Sin Sul" Although it changes depending on where you train some instructors teach different things but its generaly orientated arounf the same principle i.e Get them to the ground as fast as possible by any means and finish them off before a full fight starts.
I would bloody hope you do m8, at the very least, in karate they often call this 'sanbon' and 'one'step'. Any self defense art worth its salt should include this in its curriculum and certainly in grading imho.

TKD has had its share of bad press amongst the MA world. A lot is justified though, people reaching 1st dan in 18 months, without training more than twice a week...pah! This happens all to often and unfortunately it seems more frequent in tkd.
I believe that we make the art we study our own. So it doens't really matter what others think. Usually its ignorance or knee jerk reactions that make folk slag off a specific art after seeing one poor demo, but these forums are pretty much frequented by seasoned martial artists, who do know what they're talking about. (yourself included).
But as the original topic title says, judging from the olympics, its no wonder TKD gets a bad rap.

here endeth the sermon

106th_Ctiger

Re: You guys have it wrong.

Post by 106th_Ctiger » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:45 pm

Banzai Joe wrote: And my friend was actually part of the ITF.

I would bloody hope you do m8, at the very least, in karate they often call this 'sanbon' and 'one'step'. Any self defense art worth its salt should include this in its curriculum and certainly in grading imho.

TKD has had its share of bad press amongst the MA world. A lot is justified though, people reaching 1st dan in 18 months, without training more than twice a week...pah! This happens all to often and unfortunately it seems more frequent in tkd.
I believe that we make the art we study our own. So it doens't really matter what others think. Usually its ignorance or knee jerk reactions that make folk slag off a specific art after seeing one poor demo, but these forums are pretty much frequented by seasoned martial artists, who do know what they're talking about. (yourself included).
But as the original topic title says, judging from the olympics, its no wonder TKD gets a bad rap.

here endeth the sermon
I dont know about your friends school but my school the Aberdeen Gordon Wallace Blackbelt Academy (Http://www.taekwondo-aberdeen.co.uk) often teaches things for many different situations including leg sweeps :)

Yea we do one step. Thats part of the ITF gradeing criteria but its different to self defense. Self defense is the street things on how to take them to the ground quickly where as one step (two step + three step for lower grades) is generaly set movements (and completely unaranged for blackbelts) in which you block and counter with set movements (yet again unnaranged for blackbelt)

People reaching blackbelt in 18 months... hmm i cant see that being ITF as the ITF has minimum time requirments before you can grade which gets higher as you go e.g. in low end kups (higher grades) you could be training for 6 months (which the number of classes are counted to get so if you miss a class that time doesnt count towards the 6 months) to get to grade fom say 3rd kup to 2nd kup and going from first dan to 2nd dan i cant remember exactly but its around 2 years of training.

Bowman

Post by Bowman » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:27 pm

The quality of any martial art is probaly more down to the teaching style and the martial artisits themselves, im sure that tkd has some very good fighters. However ive seen a lot of fighters that concentrate to much on the sports stuff and not enough on fighting skills, i saw a tkd black belt get in a fight once, he tried to throw a spin kick to the guys head, surprise surprise he got a beating. But if the martial artist himself has any sense he should be able to take the practical techniques from the impractical point related moves.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:33 am

My friends club was in Glasgow i believe.
I used to train at a dojo where ppl got blackbelt in 18 months, some were actually good, others were very poor. Not sure what federation of tkd that was, i bow to your better knowledge on this Ctiger. Its just my experience of being around tkd but not directly involved with it, which, is how we develop our often unfortunate opinions of tkd.
I have no doubt that it has it uses and some exponents will excel at it.

Yoshimitsu

Post by Yoshimitsu » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:09 pm

My sister practices TKD regularly, they mainly spend a lot of time bouncing and warming up, then mainly its all kicking and not alot of punching, I think the only interesting bits are the self-defence parts, the breaking and the kata/patterns they have to do. The rest is all boring; just bouncing and shouting, pretty pointless really.