wing chun kuen

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Goodgulfthewizzard

wing chun kuen

Post by Goodgulfthewizzard » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:40 pm

Does anybody do Wing Chun? Having done Japanese martial arts for 8ish years i wish to try a chinese martial art. As there are no Wushu schools near to me i was thinking of Wing Chun. Is it any good and does chi sao really work?

Azeroth_Storm

Post by Azeroth_Storm » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:13 pm

I dont anymore but did.
I liked it and found it very useful.
Chi sao is used to develop sensitivity and is internal
Its a lot like "pushing hands" in Tai Chi Chuan,
and as Wu Shu, Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan
all have the same Wudan roots, thats hardly a surprise.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Storm

Goodgulfthewizzard

Post by Goodgulfthewizzard » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:33 pm

Thanks.

Mysterious Ninja

Post by Mysterious Ninja » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:57 pm

I have done Kung Fu and Karate for a while and I like Kung Fu better. Maybe its just the teacher or the smaller classes but Kung Fu seems more practicle and less sport like (full contact sparring with gloves), but then again the whole class is very experienced, while karate ranged in experience. I guess it comes down to the teacher and how he/she teaches.

Goodgulfthewizzard

Post by Goodgulfthewizzard » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:27 pm

Mysterious Ninja wrote:I have done Kung Fu and Karate for a while and I like Kung Fu better. Maybe its just the teacher or the smaller classes but Kung Fu seems more practicle and less sport like (full contact sparring with gloves), but then again the whole class is very experienced, while karate ranged in experience. I guess it comes down to the teacher and how he/she teaches.
I know what you mean. Got a 2nd dan in Wado Ryu karate but somehow it never felt like a proper martial art but more of a sport like you said. There was no philosophy behind it, the katas and kihons were brushed over and there was no actual useful self defence. It was just a case of sticking your pads on and walloping each other.
This is why I have gone for a Chinese martial art rather than something like kendo.

Mysterious Ninja

Post by Mysterious Ninja » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:25 pm

Philosophy is a big part of martial arts and should not be skipped, you need a strong body and mind when fighting......... otherwise you become a mechanicle man.... sorry I have watched to many Bruce Lee interviews.

Goodgulfthewizzard

Post by Goodgulfthewizzard » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:32 pm

If you like Bruce i recommend a biography of him by a man called Bruce Thomas. I believe it is called 'Fighting Spirit'. Is the most truthful and accurate version of his life according to people who knew him.

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:37 pm

I'm not sure if it's released yet, but my dad is friends with Randy Williams (met and trained with him when we lived in Singapore) who is a Wing Chun master, he was writing a book which I helped proof read. There hasn't been any updates from him recently, so I assume he finished and released it. Have a look round.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

Mysterious Ninja

Post by Mysterious Ninja » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:52 am

I didn't see that one but the best one I have seen is "A Warrior's Journey", it is on the special anniversary edition of "Enter the Dragon". There are many different opinions of Bruce but I have never seen anyone else take time and study many different arts and philosophies and combine the best parts into his own style.

ibnsaladin

Post by ibnsaladin » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:08 pm

Did wing chun in the early 70's under master Sai Tak from Hong-Kong.
Very effective martial art, comparatively quicker to pick up than the softer styles, can't recommend it high enough.
{also did wu shu in a school under the auspice of Professor Chee Soo}

Kind Regards
ibnSaladin