Chinese vs Japanese

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

stYx

Postby stYx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Perhaps the rules need to be reanimated :P

Being a somewhat of a n00b here myself, i know the temptation to post in a thread that interests you without really checking out the dates first! Its easier as time goes on, because unread topics are highlighted!

Is there no auto lock after so many months/weeks of no activity features for the forum?
ImageImage

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Its fine if there are things to be added to the topic but for just 2 sentences that don't really bring anything new its not worth it

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm

It's established and obvious that it isn't the style that wins, but the practitioner, however, I just had a semi random thought...

In the movie Fist of Legend, Jet Li is fighting a guy called Funoloshi (I mention his name only to make it easier to follow.) Jet is more or less equal to the guy, if not a little better. Funokoshi picks him on his style (he's fighting Jet with what looks like a karate-esque style), which is more or less western boxing, with some kicks and knees thrown in, etc, and adapts to it, and they regain equal ground, and the fight ends in a tie.

Sorry to anyone who wanted to see that film if you consider that spoilers :$

The point is, it's not so much the style, or the practitioner, as far as I can see, because they were both more or less equal either way...

The point of this thought is, what if it's the principles of a style, more than the style itself?

We've comp.. well, YOU guys have compared, I haven't been involved yet, lol, you've compared chinese to Japanese styles as, slight generalisation, but the Chinese is more smooth and flowy, but with unpredictable movements, and the Japanese tend to be more rigid and set. So I was wondering, as far as the Chinese broadsword vs JApanese katana goes, do you think the Japanese exponent could adapt to the Chinese style, and mimic his more fluid movements and erratic technique, in order to sort of counter the other person's fluidity, and slip inside?

To be honest I'm not sure if that IS in fact just style vs style, but I'm trying to think of what makes up a system, and also involve the tactics of that system..

Hopefully that'll be worthy of some attention and maybe the thread will get more active again, coz I really did enjoy reading everybody's opinions on it :)
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

darkphoton1

Re: Chinese vs Japanese

Postby darkphoton1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:54 pm

Goodgulfthewizzard wrote:If a master of Kendo using a katana and a master of wing chun using the butterfly swords or a master of wushu using the broadsword were to have a fight, who would win? ?

whoever hits first?

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 pm

Funokoshi was the founder of shotokan karate. Shotokan interprets as the house of Shoto or Funokoshi (out of interest).

Youtube has a good clip of karate vs drunken kung fu. In this example the karateka doesn't seem to need to adapt, he just exploits the weakness of the other style. I'm sure this isn't always the way japanese vs chinees works out, but it's good to watch anyway. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRhVR-WbaI&search=karate%20vs%20drunken%20kung%20fu

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:56 pm

I just uplaoded a karate vs kung fu video... AHAHA!! Same damn vdieo, lmao! What a coincidence :)

Well that nullifies the point of my post :p lol. How ironic, eh?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JiNrU7jEk

Including this link, because I converted the video to slightly lower quality, but considerably smaller size. When I downloaded it, it was 55MB, when I converted it, it's now 4MB, or so.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:12 pm

The poor chinese guy gets owned, lol. Well, i think it desmonstates how the direct approach can be effective against wobbly drunks. 8)

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:28 pm

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:38 pm

Technique Technique! Lmao. That made me laugh too much to be offended. :D

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:57 pm

There are so many hilarious things in that video. I love the "gimme your money, b*tch!" then pulls out a huge water pistol :p

It's interesting though as well, because in another post, I pondered the possibility of using the katana in a Chinese sword style, and in this video, he does :) Very interesting to watch, when it's not being stupid :)

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:13 pm

Have you seen this one before? If it's real it's impressive, but apart from the arrest at the end, it looks staged to me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7FDhzybQvI&search=real%20street%20fight

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:28 pm

I'dbet vast amounts of money that that's staged.

He took on a knife attack with his knee, that first punch had no power in it, I'd go so far to say he wasn't aiming at the guy, and the guy with the knife waited until the guy before him was put down before running in. If he really wanted to stab the guy, he woulda run in while he was tied up.

Still, not a bad scene.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:31 pm

The initial "oi, what are you doing here?" made me immediatly suspicous. The arrest was fairly convincing, although the police turned up rather quickly.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Aye, agreed.

What makes me more suspicious is the fact it was filmed from a third person perspective after opening from a first person view, and nobody seemed to attack the cameraman :p

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 pm

I thought maybe the first camera man may have knowingly provoked the gang, and had the other ready to film the results, but the more I watch it the more staged it looks. It had the air of a demonstration about it. As you pointed out there didn't look to be much power in some of the blows relative to the results.

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”