Shaolin Kung Fu Style

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Steve Ishikawa

Shaolin Kung Fu Style

Postby Steve Ishikawa » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:20 pm

Hey guys - heres the different types of Shaolin Kung Fu techniques - i have to choose one to study. I'm thinking Northern Praying Mantis or maybe Black Tiger, but I'm not so sure.

But tbh i would like to do a Mantis style Shaloin Kung Fu although i hear Southern is harder, I have no doubts that it is of a slight advantage to the Northern style - but with the Northern Style you get different techniques - i.e. Plum Blossom, Seven Star, Six Combinations, Spotless, Secret Door, Jade Ring, Dragging Hand, Eight Step, Tan Tui and Tai Chi.

Does anyone do Northern Style Praying Mantis and can anyone offer me some help with stance, style, technique etc - i'm familiar with the Signiture Mantis Stance but from it i've ony been taught how to trap - not how to punch, kick etc. So if anyone could help me make up my mind on this i'd be grateful.

Same goes for any of the below techniques - if you anyone knows which might be easier or if anyone has any pictures of stance, style, technique etc i would be very grateful to view it.

Northern Praying Mantis
Wing Chun
Black Crane
Black Tiger
Dragon
Snake
Leopard
Southern Praying Mantis
Tiger
White Crane

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:41 pm

I know this isnt helpful to you and so am sorry but i sooo wanna learn this shaolin kung fu! does anyone know if there are any classes in the North West of England? I would love to goto china and train with the monks. (but i dont think it is going to happen)
ps. i thought mantis was a souther style

Azeroth_Storm

Postby Azeroth_Storm » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:55 pm

First stage of swordsmanship requires the combination of man and sword.
Man is the sword, sword is the man.
Grass in the hand can be used as weapon too.
Second stage of swordsmanship requires sword in heart.
Bare hands could kill within 100 paces with the invisible sword.
The highest stage of swordsmanship, have no sword at all, neither in hands nor heart.
It is to comprehend everything liberally.
It is not to kill.
It is peace.

Satori

Postby Satori » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:45 pm

The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit. Lots of info and diagrams.
It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand

-Yagyu Munenori-

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:36 pm

Azeroth_Storm wrote:http://www.ukkungfu.co.uk/england-kungfu.html

Regards
Storm

sadly my area wernt there for any of the martial arts 8-)

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:46 am

Where in the NW are you?
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Hanzo hatori

Postby Hanzo hatori » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:28 am

shoulin soccer!

crap movie...

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:58 pm

Frodocious wrote:Where in the NW are you?

Merseyside :-D If you could help me find a club i would greatly appreciate i, and also am looking for a japanese sword martial arts in my area and also having no luck :cry: So if anyone can help me in finding ny Shaolin kung fu class or any Japanese sword martial arts class it would be much appreciated :-D Thanks in advance!

Steve Ishikawa

Postby Steve Ishikawa » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:05 pm

Satori wrote:The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit. Lots of info and diagrams.

Cheers dude!

Okay Kev63. There are usually Shaolin Classes everywhere - i mean i was suprised there was one in Nottingham! You just have to look around for them. Check the insides of Chinese Take Outs - thats where i found a flyer for the one i go to. Now, if you do fine one and you wnat some tips - i'll tell ya what you'll be taught....

Balance Training: Learn to become balanced – mentally and physically with our unique system of awareness.

Discipline: We will not demand respect, but earn it, as will you and your fellow students as you forge yourselves into righteous spirits.

Punching: Learn all types of hand fighting that combines power and speed.

Kicking: We will teach you how, when and where to kick for maximum effectiveness.

Evasion: The fundamental rule of a good self-defence system.

Blocking: Learn to defend and take advantage of your opponent.

Locks: We can teach you how to lock (disable) your opponent, at which point you will be in a position of control.

Animal Styles: A natural way of fighting that involves strength, guile, stamina, pressure points, trapping, speed, psychology, meditation and sense development training.

You learn the basic styles and moves, stances, techniques etc. Your balance is perfected - as is your basic training of kicks, punches, traps etce etc. Later on as your style progresses and becomes perfected (this could take months to years) you are asked to choose an Animal Style to study. see the top to view these styles. You will then be taught the one you choose, until you either have enough of it, in whihc cases you would change animal style (this is only in the less strict schools, others will refuse to teach you another style until you pass your original one) - when you succeed to a Black Sash - you can either learn another technique or go on to learn the even more advance part of your original style.

I think i will do Northern Praying Mantis, and then do Tiger in eitheran evening class or when ive reached black sash. heres hoping

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:04 pm

There are loads of Kung Fu classes all around Merseyside - what area are you in?

As for swords classes, there are both Kendo and Iaido around.

For Iaido (and Kung Fu) on the Wirral try:

Wirral Martial Arts
Luna House
Old Gorsey Lane
Wallasey
Wirral
CH44 4AH
Contact Sensei Joe Luna-Cantos at: luna.cantos@virgin.net

For Kendo try:
Liverpool Kendo
The Egg Dance Studio
Barkhill Road
IM Marsh Campus
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool L17 6BD
0151 291 4700
sensei@liverpoolkendo.org
http://www.liverpoolkendo.org/
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:29 pm

cool that Kendo class is right by me :) but the kung fu and iaido classes are over the water so that is a no!

So is thier another kung fu and iaido class on the other side of the water, ps what is better kendo or iaido? And do you think its ok to learn a japanese martial art in conjuntion with a chinese?

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:29 pm

cool that Kendo class is right by me :) but the kung fu and iaido classes are over the water so that is a no!

So is thier another kung fu and iaido class on the other side of the water, ps what is better kendo or iaido? And do you think its ok to learn a japanese martial art in conjuntion with a chinese?

Oh and steve could you post the link to were you copyed that text about kung fu please or add me on messenger at ashes_63@hotmail.com or email me it :)

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:32 pm

I don't know of any other Iaido classes in Liverpool but the one on the Wirral is on Sunday mornings, 11 am, if you can travel to it.

As for Kung Fu, have you tried ringing round leisure centres or looking in the phone book or even Google?

There are classes at Liverpool University which I will try to find out about for you, or try:

http://liverpoolkungfu.com/index.html

Kev63

Postby Kev63 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:56 am

hehe that link yo uposted i found earlier onto today :) I wanted to learn shaolin kung fu but i dont see what the differences are really. Ill be going along to that one shortly as its very close to were am located :) As for the Iaido i wont be able to make it.

Ps. whats the difference between Iaido and Kendo???
I want one more to do with using katanas, but ive only got access to a kendo class anyways but just wondered.

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:00 pm

If you want to use katanas then you need to do Iaido. Kendo (as far as I am aware) generally only uses wooden shinai and occasionally bokkens.

Another place you could try for Wu Shu is:

http://www.dragonwushu.co.uk/

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”