Ninjutsu

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Frodocious

Ninjutsu

Post by Frodocious » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:11 pm

Well, it's not exactly a new hobby, more of a restart after a break, but I have taken up Ninjutsu again (after 12 years off) and it's excellent fun!

I train with Brin Morgan in Rock Ferry and if anyone from the Wirral is interested in starting let me know.

Kev63

Post by Kev63 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:45 pm

i went to 2 lessons of this and decided it wasnt for me. I know its only 2 lessons but it was moastly grapple work and hands on i would prefer hits more. But it was great for self defence it acted out things that would happen on the street. Oh and those rolls you do at the beginning to warm up WOW lol there hard!

Steve Ishikawa

Post by Steve Ishikawa » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:44 pm

nice one frodo - does this mean we can expect you in a ninja kit, armed with shiruken and ready to take down some poor asshole?

Kev63

Post by Kev63 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:46 pm

shurikans are banned in the uk incase you didnt know and ninjustus classes dont train in ninja suits just a black gi!

Steve Ishikawa

Post by Steve Ishikawa » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:42 pm

yeah i was joking mate....

Anyhoo if Shiruken are ilegal why do blades-uk sell em?

*all eyes on Loz*

Lord Crimson

Post by Lord Crimson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:06 pm

I believe it is shurikens with more that four points that are illegal? (spoilsports)

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:08 pm

its anything with more than two points that's illegal. throwing stars are illegal because they have to have three/four points. shuriken just means any "ninja" throwing weapon, so the shuriken needles are OK because there is only one point on them. :cool:

kiri

Post by kiri » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:16 am

As someone who has practiced Ninjutsu for a good few many years. Shurikenjutsu (although it means throwing blade art) referes to throwing pretty much anything you can get your hands on. The senban shuriken (four pointed) which is favoured by the Togakure Ryu (GM Hatsumi etc...) started life as a metal plate that was used to hold together roof beams in a Japanese house. The Ninja boys used to sharpen these up and lo you have a throwing weapon.....
Any star shape object is currently illegal in the UK which is probably why BUK only sells spike shaped ones, which become classified as knives.....

You can actually get very good results going to your local DIY store and getting a metal file with a spike on the back. These fly great! and thats nothing to what you can do with a tungsten carbide tipped 4" circular saw blade! Cheaper. Better Steel. Better Heat Treat. A lot easier to explain...

As the Ninjas used to do. farm / workshop equipment makes good kit.

K

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:53 am

Kev63 wrote:i went to 2 lessons of this and decided it wasnt for me. I know its only 2 lessons but it was moastly grapple work and hands on i would prefer hits more. But it was great for self defence it acted out things that would happen on the street. Oh and those rolls you do at the beginning to warm up WOW lol there hard!
The thing I love about ninjutsu is that it covers every type of fighting you can imagine, from grappling, punching and kicking up to serious weapons training, along with philosophy and survival skills. It is also a very flexible art that can easily be adapted to the individual, plus virtually any technique goes! :-D

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:21 am

Woohoo....

I got to play with swords in class last night! :wave:

Have I mentioned how cool this art is? :-D

Link

Post by Link » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:31 am

Frodocious wrote:Have I mentioned how cool this art is? :-D
Frodocious wrote:it's excellent fun!
Frodocious wrote:The thing I love about ninjutsu
Frodocious wrote:Woohoo....
lol yeah kinda,
sounds cool, what kind of swords were they? :cool:

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:04 pm

Iaito katanas. We did a mix of defending from attacks by parrying and cutting and also using the sword to put armlocks and other holds on each other.

the_haggis

Post by the_haggis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:37 pm

New question for an old thread... Frodocious: who did you train with before your 12 year break? I did a couple of years in Liverpool with Dave Joy before university got in the way. I'm in Wigan now and would definitley start training again. Know of anything in this area?

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 am

When I trained 12 years ago, I trained at the same place (Rock Ferry) and with the same instructor (Brin Morgan) as I do now. I don't know of any classes in Wigan (there are classes in Manchester and Warrington that I know about) but I will see if I can find out for you. How far are you prepared to travel?

Short Recoil

Post by Short Recoil » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:34 pm

Git, nearest ninjitsu class to me is like 100 miles, and i'm not going that far........

I want to learn ninjitsu but i will have to at home, the only "proper" martial arts class near me is wing chun kung fu, 20 miles away that my brother has been doing for a while......i'm not interested in kung fu.

I certainly have enough self discipline to learn a martial art fully at home, i just need good resources on techniques.
Anyone know of any decent books and training manuals on ninjitsu?
I'm after a mix of ninjitsu history and actual technique, so i develop the martial art fully.