grappling advice

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

darkhobo

grappling advice

Post by darkhobo » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:48 pm

i grapled live for my first time last class, and though i got my ass kicked, it was tons of fun...
our sensei says he wants to do this more often...and partly why i got my ass kicked, and why i was getting yelled at constantly...is because i found my old school wrestling reactions coming back ot me...such as when i fall, falling to my stomach, rolling incorrectly, and mounting wrong...
any advice as to how i can fix this? or will only practice help?
any advice as to how to better myself in general are also welcome
thanks
*edited for sp errors*

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:08 pm

im not entirely sure what you mean, but if you want to give me some fine details etc, i can help.... i teach Ju-Jutsu as an assistant instructor which involves a lot of standing to floor, and groundwork!

gimmie some details, and i can work out what the problem migt be. if i can find a dummy from the class, i could even do some vids.

Hanzo hatori

Post by Hanzo hatori » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:17 pm

he banned?

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:43 pm

nope, im here. its magic (patent pending)

Hanzo hatori

Post by Hanzo hatori » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:00 pm

u asked an admin to do it then?

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:03 pm

cant say as i have. which is why i call it magic. lol

anyway, my responce was to help this guy out with a problem he has, so it would be cool if i could do that.

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:00 pm

practice practice practice, its the only road.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:59 pm

well, no its not, you have to have something to actually practice!

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:07 pm

Wraith wrote:well, no its not, you have to have something to actually practice!
LOL good point but think about it, there is something that we practice all the time, driving, screwing up paper and becoming expert bin landers...useless skills perhaps(not driving of course)but a practice all the same.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:23 am

yea, but you still need a driving instructor to show you the right way to do something, then you can practice at becoming better at it. i teach certain drills to people to do by themselves, at home, so they can practice the right movements, in repitition.

you DO need to practice, and repeat, but you also need to know what your doing, and why your doing it. practicing the same mistakes, over and over again will just develop the bad habbits you dont want!

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:56 pm

thats true, very true, but when reaches the higher levels of a certain art or skill the...the(can't find right word)possibilties/techniques/understanding reach the same conclusion though they might have been reached in totally different ways. but the bad habit bit i can't argue with :-D

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:36 pm

yea, your mostly right, the end reasult is usually the same (or at least has the appearence of being the same)... or to plagerise, "its not the truth, but a very good lie!"
but sheer practice alone wont get you anywhere. if you only know 6 "moves" you can only ever practice 6! it is possible to modify, or "experement" and luck might find you landing on a good technique. but a little guidence will save a LOT of time.

we had 1 bloke with us who had learnt everything he knew from a book, for about 7 years.... apparently up to first dan level (he had a whole series of books. lol) turns out that the lads who had been training for 6 months ish knew a hell of a lot more, and could execute the techniques properly. chuckled for ages over that...... "waterstones white belts" we call them, now.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:13 pm

so is "darkhobo" about?

waz

Post by waz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:00 am

Experience mate keep at it. First time I "rolled" in a long time I too forgot basic guard, mount and escapes.

I do brazilian Ju jitsu.

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:25 pm

USE ELBOWS!

.....Errrr.....I really can't help you that much....