Sabre vs Katana

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Sabre or Katana

Poll ended at Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:46 pm

katana
77%
sabre
23%

Total votes: 13

maciek1230

Sabre vs Katana

Post by maciek1230 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:46 pm

So what you think, a samurai with a katana or Kozak/Russian/Polen with a sabre ?

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:34 pm

Samurai with a kat...

of course, it all depends on the respective levels of competency though.

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:51 pm

assuming equal training/ability of the fighter... taking into account that both blades were developed as to the effectiveness of slashing attacks from horseback (ie why they're curved)... and that the horses from eastern asia are comparitively small and puny...

Cossack wins due to the better cavalry. Nothing due to the man or the weapon. :cool:

Atangaladhion

Post by Atangaladhion » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:39 am

I'd go for Mace Windu with the 'sabre, he's a bit too kick arse for anyone on this planet. 8)

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:18 pm

lol....that old chestnut again......
its always katana v sommat else.
Still......katana for me with ujio on my side :-D

Lord Crimson

Post by Lord Crimson » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:29 pm

Consider the relative differences, the sabre was designed for single hand use only, less power in strikes but possibly better in parrying and swift changes of direction, the hand guard would also be viable for knuckleduster-esque weapon in addition to hand protection.

The katana is a two handed weapon, which could be used in one hand, it was nearly perfect for long, weighty strokes and could bite deeper in one stroke than a saber due to the power when wielded with both hands, defensively the katana was far weaker, a mostly ceremonial handguard and a blade too thin and sahrp to block frequently.

Next consider theart behind these weapons, bushido attacks are fast and strong, but high commitment and left one vulnerably if evaded, much more value was placed on evasion than parrying.

Sabre fighting seems to have been much more orientated towards parrying strokes and counters, and least in a single duel, and the sabre was far better designed to ward off blows than a katana.

The final aspect of this duel to consider is a near exclusive boon to the katana, the iaido quick-draw, where a katana would be drawn and the opponent cut down in one stroke, the sabre had no such fuction.

I would imagine, that, in a single fight, if a sabre wielder were to deflect the katana-user's blows in the early stages of a fight, the sabre-wielder's counter attacks and quick strikes would eventually defeat the samurai, that is if the smurai didn't cut him in half in the first second or two.

maciek1230

Post by maciek1230 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:14 pm

The final aspect of this duel to consider is a near exclusive boon to the katana, the iaido quick-draw, where a katana would be drawn and the opponent cut down in one stroke, the sabre had no such fuction.
Thats not true. Saber can be drawn as fast as katana.
I saw it and tryed it.

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:03 pm

only one way to find out, we take 2 volunteers and trainer them each for 2 years, then we lock em in a room and noone gets out till one of 'ems dead...
who wants to volunteer?

Atangaladhion

Post by Atangaladhion » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:57 pm

Me!

maciek1230

Post by maciek1230 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:02 pm

LOL.

Steve Ishikawa

Post by Steve Ishikawa » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:37 pm

ill volunteer, your going down atan! :x

Atangaladhion

Post by Atangaladhion » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:51 pm

Not on you I'm not Steve! :|

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:28 pm

Atangaladhion wrote:Not on you I'm not Steve! :|
LMAO!! slice him up Atan!! :-D

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:46 pm

probly in a 1v1 battle from any style of warrior, both would suffer wounds, unless one got very lucky and somehow managed to not get any gashes or bruises.
If two warriors are going at it, there will not only be slicing, there will be punching scratching biting...its a struggle for life so you use eevrything you have.
Both warriors could possibly die, one from the fight, and one later from the wounds suffered during the fight.
Either way with 2 well trained warriors, no matter what styles they use to fight, it would be a rough fight and neither one of them would dominate the other, and neither of them would go easily

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:01 pm

Bearing in mind that Samurai also trained in unarmed martial arts (not sure which one....think it was similar to aikido) which may have some relevance as far as speed goes. Thing is, no matter how much training someone has, even if both are equal, one or the other is gonna be faster, or stronger or have keaner eyes. It's all up to the person fighting. "They're equal" doesn't really cut it for me. If they were both exactly equal then eventually they're both probably gonna die of blood loss from minor wounds inflicted over the exactly even fight. Having said that one arm is gonna tire quicker than two, so I say the katana user would win after the sabre guy collapses from tiredness.