Tieing Hakama

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:05 pm

Don't do it that way for kendo, it may hurt after a while.
Ask at your dojo

Keitaro

Re: Tieing Hakama

Post by Keitaro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm amazed they haven't shown you how to do it at your Dojo, then again gotta understand it, they are just kendoka :leggit: hehe
I haven't been to a practice since i got the stuff so I haven't had a chance to ask them yet.

Anyway, thanks for the link, it's a bit more detailed than the one I found, I'll give it a try.

Keitaro

Post by Keitaro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:10 pm

Oh, soory Banzai, didn't see your post. So I shouldn't tie it like that, huh? Practice is tonight, I'll just take the hakama and see what happens.

Keitaro

Post by Keitaro » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:13 pm

Real sorry about the triple posting, but last night I had my first practice in my hakama and keikogi! It was great, I had tied it all right apart from the knot on the keikogi, which I had vertical rather than horizontal, which apparently is an offence. I also got to wear some club armour, it was a perfect fit and I had a great time finally being able to join into the whole practice. Only problem is, my wrist REALLY HURTS!! :|
One guy wears a shin pad under his kote, i think I'll do the same.

Honda T

Post by Honda T » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:01 pm

Glad you enjoying yourself, and good luck with the wrist protection. When I first started Iai, knee pads were the order of the day. Originally I had bl00dy great builders things, but know use elasticated foam pads - a little more discrete!

Banzai....
A belated happy new year, sorry have had trouble with E-mail notification - my damn spamkiller, but sorted now.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Just bought a men protector for kendo, cos there are some flippin barbarians axemen in our dojo who just about club you to death when doing kiri kaeshi.
And as honda said, a good set of knee pads are a must for iai. Although due to my bad knees i have to perform all waza from tachi nowadays. I'm hoping to be able to crack tate hiza forms though.

Jut got my new indigo 10,000 hak today and its loverrrly. Quality hakama make a big difference to your centre imho. Need to colour fast it 1st though, or along with my new keikogi i'll look like the 'blue man' after training.

My god how much ranting am i doing?

Honda T

Post by Honda T » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:54 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:Just bought a men protector for kendo, cos there are some flippin barbarians axemen in our dojo along with my new keikogi i'll look like the 'blue man' after training.

Sorry BJ, I think the above quote is edited quite well..... Sounds like you'll look a bit bruised!!! :D

Seriously though, hope the hakama is OK.

BTW, what is a 10,000 hak? Is it the price in yen?

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:34 am

Honda T wrote:
Banzai Joe wrote:Just bought a men protector for kendo, cos there are some flippin barbarians axemen in our dojo along with my new keikogi i'll look like the 'blue man' after training.

Sorry BJ, I think the above quote is edited quite well..... Sounds like you'll look a bit bruised!!! :D

Seriously though, hope the hakama is OK.

BTW, what is a 10,000 hak? Is it the price in yen?
lol, nice abuse of my quotes there honda, you ever worked for MI6

Nah, apparently it is the number representing the quality of the indigo dye.
#8,000 is ok, #10,000 is better.