Tieing Hakama

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Keitaro

Tieing Hakama

Postby Keitaro » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:50 pm

Hey guys,
I started Kendo a couple of months ago now and am really enjoying it. Up untill now I've been going to practice in sports wear, but I got some Keikogi and Hakama for crimbo. Problem is, I don't know how to wear or tie it properly. If anyone can help I will be most gratefull. :???:
Thanks,
Keitaro

Frodocious

Postby Frodocious » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:43 pm

My advice would be to ask someone in your class. There are a couple of websites that show diagrams of how to tie Hakama - try googling 'tying a Hakama' or something. It looks complicated, but is actually quite easy once you've been shown! It is quite difficult to describe in words (at least I find it is!).
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:08 am

Hi,
first off, tying your hak for kendo is different than tying it for say, aikido or even iaido. The knots need to be flatter to sit better behind your tare

Its pretty hard to explain, especially at this ungodly hour, sorry.
Best thing to do is find out a way of tying it, a la internet, then ask a member of your dojo when you next train.

Good luck.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Keitaro

Postby Keitaro » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:21 pm

OK, thanks for your help guys. I have found an illustrated guide online to help me get it on so that will have to do for now. I will ask a member of my club if it is right. Banzai, the tare is part of the armour, right? I'm not in armour yet so maybe I wont need to tie it in that way untill I get some?

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Keitaro wrote:OK, thanks for your help guys. I have found an illustrated guide online to help me get it on so that will have to do for now. I will ask a member of my club if it is right. Banzai, the tare is part of the armour, right? I'm not in armour yet so maybe I wont need to tie it in that way untill I get some?

You will probably (well, you ought to) need to tie it correctly anyhow so as the himo (straps) are well and truly stowed away. But most kendoka i've met have always been willing to help out, so asking before the lesson starts is best. Good luck, hope you enjoy it even more with full dress code.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Honda T

Postby Honda T » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Yes, good luck and I hope you feel 'more the part' now; I know I did when I got my hakema for iaido practice.

I know you shouldn't feel any different but somehow, when your'e in a tracksuit/whatever, well.... it's just different!!!

For me, it was more difficult trying to fold it up afterward - do you have to fold it the same, into a small square bundel with the himo making a cross in the front?
Regards,
Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.
Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

Banzai Joe

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Hiya Honda, and happy new year m8.
I reckon there are more ways to fold the hak and tie the himo than there are to actually wear it and tie it.
During my aikido journey, i have changed the way i tie my hak 3 times (on advice from shihan sensei), and each one gives a different feel in the hara. its quite amazing.
I now tie my hak the same for iai, aikido and aiki-jujutsu, but different for kendo.

Keitaro

Postby Keitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:23 pm

Ok, thanks for all your help and info!

Logan

Postby Logan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:27 pm

Keitaro wrote:Ok, thanks for all your help and info!

Dude! You gotta cut your signature image:

Down in size a bit! 56k users will have a heart failure :D

Generally 450 (width) x 155 (height), but we're faily leniant as long as its not HUGE!! 8)

Keitaro

Postby Keitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:52 pm

Lol, sorry. My apologies to any 56k users who may have suffered in the usage of this sig pic. Good piccie though, agreed?

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:54 pm

oh yeah awesome pic mate! (H)
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Keitaro

Postby Keitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks! :D If you'd like to know I nicked it off someone else's sig on another forum... :aveit:

Keitaro

Postby Keitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Right, I've shrunk the pic down to size. Hope it's OK now. :D

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:37 pm

yeah that looks much better now mate!!
cheers

Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Re: Tieing Hakama

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:49 am

Keitaro wrote:Hey guys,
I started Kendo a couple of months ago now and am really enjoying it. Up untill now I've been going to practice in sports wear, but I got some Keikogi and Hakama for crimbo. Problem is, I don't know how to wear or tie it properly. If anyone can help I will be most gratefull. :???:
Thanks,
Keitaro

I'm amazed they haven't shown you how to do it at your Dojo, then again gotta understand it, they are just kendoka :leggit: hehe

However I have a link for you, tho I fear it will be removed, so I won't post it but Im it to you instead, so that you can practice it.

(don't really understand what is all the fuss about, I bet that if I posted it then you would copy it and put it here anyway, sorry if you find that offensive tho)

:S

---Edit---

Bugger pm has been disabled, and I dunno what to do :S

sod it!

How to tie a Hakama (with the fancy knot that can catch your thumb if you aren't careful even tho they don't tell you that) (H)

Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”