Started training

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Quirky

Started training

Post by Quirky » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:32 pm

I came on here about 6 months ago looking for advice on which martial art would suit me. Well after wanting to study a martial art for some time i finally got myself to a class for BJJ, and am now practising BJJ, Muay Thai, Tang Soo Do and am also training with various weapons such as Nunchaku, Tonfa and Escrima sticks. I've also lost 2 stone since i started training 4 months ago whis was another goal.
No reason for putting this on here, just thought i'd let folks know!

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:35 pm

hey thats cool man!
good to know that you could find places to do it, there seems to be a lack of places for most martial arts now!
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Honda T

Post by Honda T » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Of course there's a reason for posting - we in this 'community' like to hear good news and we can give you encouragement.

Really glad that you've started, and are continuing to enjoy, your training - long may you continue.

It's also quite a feat to have lost some weight, especially over the Christmas period - most of us put it on!

Congratulations, and keep up the good work!
Regards,
Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.
Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:14 am

bjj is great, iv only tried one class, cuz it was starting at my dojo adn we got to go and check it out, and it was really cool, im thinking about starting it
Mos wrote: Americans :roll:
Mos wrote: ill say it again Americans
Simoriax wrote: well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:50 am

Nice one Quirky, hope it all goes well for you. You have taken on a lot in practising numerous arts, but if you cope with it then it can only benefit you in many ways.
Great news on the weight loss too. :???:
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Quirky

Post by Quirky » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:16 pm

The only reason i'm training in different arts is because they are all taught by the same instructor who happens to be an old friend from school. I always new he practised martial arts but never knew he was an instructor. Now i just want to train as much as i can, i'm doing 4 nights a week and 2 nights in the gym which is a lot for me, seeing as i've done nothing since college 5 years ago.
Thanks for all the encouraging coments fellas!!!

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm an ignorant fool. What's BJJ?

Quirky

Post by Quirky » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:38 pm

BJJ - Brazilian Jujitsu. In my classes it is incorporated with Muay Thai so i have some skills in striking and stand up fighting aswell as grappling and submission techniques.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:11 am

well, i really have got to take my hat off to you m8
:???: . From doing nothing to doing all what you now do is commendable. And don't let anybody tell you that you are doing too much. Your body will tell you, then you can decide what you need to do from there. You'll be a lean, mean killing mofo'ing machine in no time.
I totally admire your commitment.

As for my regime, its:
Gym 5 mornings per week at 6.30am
Monday eve - aikido
Tuesday eve - aikijujutsu
Thursday eve - Kendo
Saturday - Iaido
Sunday - Kendo

....on paper, sounds good eh?!
When actually, i may skip 1 gym session per week, at the mo i'm skipping aikido through injury, i'm only at iai every other week due to sharing time with my son and rarely get to kendo on sunday nowadays.

My god i need a 10 day week.
So, keep it up, as you never know when life will start to get in the way of your training.

:D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:54 pm

wow, you do a lot joe... :???:
i just do 2 hours of kempo every night, that usually tires me out enough that i just come home and sleep...
Mos wrote: Americans :roll:
Mos wrote: ill say it again Americans
Simoriax wrote: well what do you know, i love americans! :)

Satori

Post by Satori » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 am

darkhobo wrote:wow, you do a lot joe... :???:
i just do 2 hours of kempo every night, that usually tires me out enough that i just come home and sleep...

Yeah you do nothing at all :> More than i could ever fit in, wish i had the time to do something.
It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand

-Yagyu Munenori-

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:16 pm

lol, if you re-read my post, i said "it looks good on paper', cos i often don't get to fint it all in. I thinks its the same with a lot of folks and their training.
darkhobo, 2 hours a night is great, that prolly at least equates to the amount i train. Although from the past 20 years experience in martial arts, i personally find i can learn better from physically training 2-4 times per week and mentally digesting it all for the rest of the time.
My aikido developed considerably by only training once per week, then letting my subconscious unravel what i'd learned that week and make sense of it by the next week.
Although when you're young, you want to train all the time, i understand that perfectly, nowt wrong with it, go for it!

DeadlySIN

Post by DeadlySIN » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:47 pm

i got to red/black (11th out of 12 belts) in taekwondo but then quit because im just so dam lazy, now i dont do any. i shud realy get going again because like honda said, putting weight on over christmas.. thats certainly me.
although im not motivated enough, nor do i know of any ninjutsu schools around manchester, and i cant be bothered going back to TKD.

woody1144

Post by woody1144 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:19 pm

DeadlySIN wrote:i got to red/black (11th out of 12 belts) in taekwondo but then quit because im just so dam lazy, now i dont do any. i shud realy get going again because like honda said, putting weight on over christmas.. thats certainly me.
although im not motivated enough, nor do i know of any ninjutsu schools around manchester, and i cant be bothered going back to TKD.

Manchester, England?

http://www.bujinkanmanchester.co.uk/brin.htm

http://www.umu.man.ac.uk/ninjutsu/

i was going to start but then i found an iaido class.

DeadlySIN

Post by DeadlySIN » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:08 pm

ah thanks :D , il be checkin that out soon.