Sword arts

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 am

Wraith wrote: the reason i ask, is that ive seen 2 schools that use bokken as a weapon in its own right
Didn't Miyamoto Musashi use only a bokken in duels or something?

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 am

darkhobo wrote:
Wraith wrote: the reason i ask, is that ive seen 2 schools that use bokken as a weapon in its own right
Didn't Miyamoto Musashi use only a bokken in duels or something?
Towards the end of his dueling career he allegedly did. I say allegedly, cos Musashi is such a legend in Japanese history that all sorts of stories were made up about him. However, i think its true that he used bokken and on one occasion a suburito (or an oar fom a boat) to kill one of his main rivals. Split his head like a melon he did (H)
I believe he fought Muso Gonosuke, (who developed the jo cos of this duel) with his bokken, and defeated him, but didn't kill him. Muso pondered the use of certain weapons, came up with the 4ft (ish) jo, challenged Musashi and as legend tells it, either defeated Musashi's 2 sword defense, or they both achieved aiuchi (simultaneous killing blow). They both walked away from the duel.
fwiw! :D

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:56 pm

very interesting, thanks joe 8)

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:24 pm

Yep, it IS interesting........just don't now if its true, lol!
Too many musashi myths to know which is which.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:20 pm

from what i gather.... MM used live blades throughout his career until very late.

there are 2 main exceptions.

his first ever duel,
and (i cant remember the name of the warrior) but he fought a certain warrior with a bokken fashioned from a boat oar.

apart from that, he used live blades until his 40's where he switched to bokken and withdrew from combative exchanges.

at least thats what ive found... but like you say.... LOTS of myths, and storys.

deathwalker

Post by deathwalker » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:54 pm

Indeed, in his first fight when he was 13 he supposedly killed Arima Kigei with a stick.

He defeated Yoshioka Seijiro head of the Yoshioka clan with a bokken, who cut his topknot off in shame.

He also killed Yoshioka Seijiro's brother Denshichiro with a bokken .

Then of course there is his duel on Ganryu Island against Sasaki Kojiro when he used a oar.

of course these are all legends who can say for sure what really happened?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm

i try not to bother with them. its all so sketchy, and trivial.
i have a translation of his book, and i understand some of it... so thats all i need. lol