Belt System?

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Steve Ishikawa

Post by Steve Ishikawa » Wed May 18, 2005 12:09 pm

I did write a detailed reply on this - but my server decided to flop as i posted it. :roll:

Anyway - to put what i wrote in a nutshell, i believe that although belts arn't a nessesity toward the martial arts - in a school-like system it shows both achievment and it depicts your supiriors. However, a black belt 10 year old may be a black belt - but would he be any match against a drunk 21 year old with no experience?

But i believe that the belts obtain a certain degree of knowlege, the higher your belt - the better your knowlege in the art. That's something I've always believed in, I don't think you need a colourful belt to tell you how good you are - but it does show your understanding and knowlege for the art.

-Steve

Getalifebud

Post by Getalifebud » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:16 am

I take Wado-Kai, and in our system it goes...

8th Kyu- Yellow
7th Kyu- Orange
6th Kyu- Green
5th Kyu- Blue
4th Kyu- Purple
3th Kyu- Brown Junior
2th Kyu- Brown
1th Kyu- Brown Senior
then 1st dan to 9th dan (all the same black no difference in appearance)

Juniors (under 12) have to go through mons before each kyu, which is the same belt but with a white stripe through it. Cadets (12-15) have this as well, but if they perform well on a test then the examiner may allow them to pass the mon grade.

sprout

Post by sprout » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Ninjitsu is the art of the ninja, and there is a Club for it :|

:| My kung fu lao shi has mentioned Ninjitsu, as he holds several black belts, and only teaches it to students that have already graded black sash in his school (the combined teachings gain you 3 black belts, tai chi, wing chun, and another one, probably southern shaolin).

I am confused. It is a SECRET art, hardly one to have clubs.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:29 pm

sprout wrote:Ninjitsu is the art of the ninja, and there is a Club for it :|

:| My kung fu lao shi has mentioned Ninjitsu, as he holds several black belts, and only teaches it to students that have already graded black sash in his school (the combined teachings gain you 3 black belts, tai chi, wing chun, and another one, probably southern shaolin).

I am confused. It is a SECRET art, hardly one to have clubs.
(H) secret eh? How about the plethora of books you can get on ninjutsu from any bookstore, the www is full of ninja stuff, some garbage, some informative. I studied it for a year and loved it, it aint that secret anymore dude.

sprout

Post by sprout » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:13 pm

i say the true art of the ninja is a secret told only to those worthy. whatever else is taught in "ninja classes" is questionable, in my opinion.

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:41 am

sprout wrote:i say the true art of the ninja is a secret told only to those worthy. whatever else is taught in "ninja classes" is questionable, in my opinion.
You've been watching too many hollywood 'ninja' movies mate.

Ninjutsu IS taught and there ARE clubs for it. How do I know? Well, because I study it! Whilst there are plenty of fake Ninjutsu teachers about (people who teach Karate in black and call it ninjitsu) there are also plenty of real instructors who can prove their style's lineage and have trained under the current head of the style.

sprout

Post by sprout » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:57 pm

dude read my first post. i dont watch hollywood ninja films either. dont make assumptions. they make an ass out of you and mumptions.

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:09 pm

just got my yellow tag tonight.

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:11 am

sprout wrote:dude read my first post. i dont watch hollywood ninja films either. dont make assumptions. they make an ass out of you and mumptions.
I did read your first post and am not making assumptions, you blatantly don't know anything about Ninjutsu and, therefore, it is you making the assumptions!

Oh, and congratulations on your yellow tag, Ninja. :D

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:17 pm

Frodocious wrote:Oh, and congratulations on your yellow tag, Ninja. :D
cheers. :D

sprout

Post by sprout » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:46 pm

Why thank you frodocious, thats very kind of you to say...wait a minute! :D

I'm just gonna give up. I hate trying to make my point, especially on forums. Because I dont know you, or care! (H)

Bugsy

Post by Bugsy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Goju Ryu karate grading system goes:

White (10th kyu)
(Infant/Junior grade red)
Yellow (9th)
Orange (8th)
Green (7th)
Blue (6th)
Purple (5th)
Purple with white stripe in middle (4th)
Brown (3rd)
Brown with white stripe in middle (2nd) - I got this one last week :D

Black and Dans

Each one has 3 mons (little black stripes that go on your belt) per belt.

Frodocious

Post by Frodocious » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:25 pm

sprout wrote:I'm just gonna give up. I hate trying to make my point, especially on forums. Because I dont know you, or care! (H)
Well, I have no idea what your point was apart from stating that whatever ninjutsu is taught can't be the true stuff because is is a secret art - which it is not! The whole idea of it being this 'secret art', taught only to a select few is Hollywood driven, and rubbish.

Where and from whom did your Sifu learn his Ninjutsu?

wabhimself

Post by wabhimself » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:32 pm

Frodocious wrote:
sprout wrote:I'm just gonna give up. I hate trying to make my point, especially on forums. Because I dont know you, or care! (H)
Well, I have no idea what your point was apart from stating that whatever ninjutsu is taught can't be the true stuff because is is a secret art - which it is not! The whole idea of it being this 'secret art', taught only to a select few is Hollywood driven, and rubbish.

Where and from whom did your Sifu learn his Ninjutsu?
dude, l think it might be that the teacher dude might consider Ninjitsu harder than what he normally teaches and that's why he teachers it to advanced students? l don't know any facts so l might be wrong

sprout

Post by sprout » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:38 am

at least someone here gets the point. :| i originally only stated what i was told. NOT preconceptions. hope you enjoy whatever martial art you do tho everyone.