No I hate them
18%
Not bothered one way or the other
No votes

Total votes: 17

Angelus

Ornate Tsukas

Post by Angelus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Do you guys like the ornate styles or are you purely traditional only. Been looking around (mostly coz I watched highlander the other day) and come across this again, I'd forgotten about it until I looked at the Highlander sword review on here.

I think it looks amazing personally although at around £430 before shipping and import tax its unfortuantely out of my price range. What do you guys think of it? Pictures were edited to remove the name of the company selling it although I'm sure a few of you know of it already

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 pm

I quite like it actually, its different! :D
I prefer traditional style ones, but i would make an exception for that! :D

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:01 pm

i said i hate em, purely cos they look mis-shaped with the dragons head on the end (which they all have for some reason, even the non highlander replicas). if it werent for that, i'd probably like em.

sprout

Post by sprout » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:05 pm

is the grip still as comfy/functional as a traditional style?

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 pm

if its done right then i would find it appealing, however i have yet to see a production sword with one that i would regard as "done right" just my opinion however, if you like it buy it 8)

kind regards

Solutech

Post by Solutech » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:26 am

As long as it isnt resin ..... Cant stand plastic handles .

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:49 am

I hate them, I've never seen one that I would prefere over a traditional one, and I can't imagine them being comfortable.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:22 am

Well this one is advertised as fully functional with a Kevlar/Carbon Fibre handle so that it won't break, and from the reviews I've read it certainly appears to have gone down well. Unfortunately its outside of my price range right now :'(

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:46 pm

A well carved bone or ivory one would be good but I've not run into one I like yet.

DeadlySIN

Post by DeadlySIN » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:11 pm

alright for display i guess.
for practical use i would prefer a tradional wrapped tsuka that
wont get in the way.

Ghetto_Ninja

Post by Ghetto_Ninja » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:44 am

I had 1 once with a big snake head on it i know it was a only a hanger but i was messin about and i hit a book with the blade and the vibration broke the snake off, got my mum to glue it back on and same happened again lol cheep ass things awwwwwwwwwwwwww how much i love my GO

Killua

Post by Killua » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:24 pm

I once came across an early 1900's Katana that had an Ivory carved tsuka which I'd consider fairly attractive, but in general, it's not my taste at all. I love the more traditional tsuka's. Simpe, rather than ornate beauty.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:38 pm

Ghetto_Ninja wrote:I had 1 once with a big snake head on it i know it was a only a hanger but i was messin about and i hit a book with the blade and the vibration broke the snake off, got my mum to glue it back on and same happened again lol cheep ass things awwwwwwwwwwwwww how much i love my GO
I meant on a properly made sword with the tsuka carved out of bone or some other substance that won't fall apart like a cheap assed plastic toy

Ghetto_Ninja

Post by Ghetto_Ninja » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:46 pm

if it was carved out of bone or somthing would that not affect the grip, would it not slip when your hands started sweatin

Ta

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:50 pm

Ghetto_Ninja wrote:if it was carved out of bone or somthing would that not affect the grip, would it not slip when your hands started sweatin

Ta
not if it was done properly the carving would provide a rough surface that should provide plenty of grip and on a related topic the vikings and saxons used oozic (fossilized walrus penis bone) for grips on swords and seax as although its smooth it does not get slippery when wet either with water or blood.

kind regards