ive got a sword but dnt no any information about it help plz

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wazzaa

Post by wazzaa » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:56 pm

ok i just found out the person i got it off was in the royal marines and studied martial arts in all forms and so he bought the sword if i remember rite he got it for £800 at the time or so im told

wabhimself

Post by wabhimself » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Simoriax wrote:Wallhanger.
have to agree with ya sim, it defo looks like a wallhanger

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 pm

without a shaddow of a doubt.

those fittings alone can tell you.

the blade is pretty for what it is... but what it is, is a stainless blade, and only suitable for catching dust.

Moon

Post by Moon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Sorry,got to agree with the rest,it's definitely a Wallhanger.

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:52 am

Yup, display only I'm afraid... I'd have gone for "Denix" as the make. They usually do cheap mild steel blades but have done a few stainless models in their time. The hamon does look quite good though, but obviously not genuine as real hamons don't tend to show up so well in "normal" pictures.

maciek1230

Post by maciek1230 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:34 am

Unfortunetly i wont agree.
I have held in my hands very similar sword like this one.
Same type o tsuka just different colors, the blade was unsharpened.
Hammon was olso like this one. It was a forged blade.
Not sharpened on purpose.

Ask a sordsmith if you sword is forged, or some expirienced martial artist.
In most cases they can tell ya.
In this case pics arent sufficent.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:59 pm

i was thinking that was a possability, until i studied te fittings some more. i'll refrain from using the corrct terminology, for this.

the twin knives can be sectioned off, and enlarged... and if you were to do this, you can see the very open grain of the steel.... it looks like a mild steel. their also badly fitted, and should protrude a small amout into the hand guard.

the handle, has this terrible plate in its centre, that is cast. you can see the attempt at cleaning the cast lines. the japanese were good... but no-where near that good with casting to that level of detail.

the matierial used for the handle is VERY low quality, and braided in a way thats completely inconsistant.. and if you look closely, you can see the 'sa-me' or the covering of the wooden core... which looks like its been nicked from a cheap merchant... the pins holding it in place are plastic, by the look of it, or painted. this isnt the work of a profecional 'mounter' the whole quality of it, is just plain 'bad'

the entire styling is just wrong.

the blade itself.... the habki is a cheap production thing, and that can be seen a mile off. the blade itself has 3 facets to its cutting edge... there should be 1. its a common mistake for bad blades.

and a few more other things i cant really spend timne explaining.

your marine mate got had... good, and proper. its worth about £20 at BEST.

Killua

Post by Killua » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:32 pm

When I saw it, I thought Walhanger also. Not from the blade, I can't tell a great deal from a picture like that, but from the Tsuba and Ito. They look pretty damn cheap to me.